Another House Rollercoaster Ride Commences Today...sigh!

DDD

We have located one more possible house for easy child/difficult child. Today the offer goes in writing. This is house number six or seven. In Nov. we had an offer accepted (short sale) and the bank still won't allow inspections or anything to make it happen. It's really been mega crazy. This house is one of my favorites. Monday is a bank holiday so guess we'll be lucky to hear back next Wednesday. Fingers crossed that the kid can get settled and I can get off his bank accounts. I deserve a break, lol. DDD

DDD

Allegedly, Buddy. I've been too time swamped to "go in person" but supposedly that is no longer a problem I am so so eager to get this behind me. Thanks for asking. DDD

DDD

Monday is a bank holiday so we gave them until Wed to respond. I can't wait much longer...and we are still looking. thanks for caring, DDD

DammitJanet

here is hoping.

DDD, I realize you dont want to go down to a double wide and I understand that, I truly do. Its possible with his price point you may not have a choice if things dont start going his way. You can find some really nice ones out there that you can slowly fix up with regular house products instead of mobile home fixtures to include bricking in the outside.

Its entirely possible you might find a double wide on a private lot for a lot less than the homes you are looking at right now. In your area they would all be Wind Zone 2 which means they are built a whole lot better in the first place.

Just think about this as a last resort.

DDD

Thanks for the reminder Janet. For the first time last week I did look through the double wides for sale. There are a zillion in our County as this is the Senior Citizen mecca for our State. Without exaggeration there are loads of them that are almost $200,000 in lovely gated communities. There are lots of them in the forty to sixty range, too. There are some that are on "owned" land as well....but most are age specific (55+) parks or communities. I want him in the City with year-round neighbors ("snow birds dominate the manufactured homes).

I'm sure that a good case could be made saying I'm trying to guide him to the most boring, safest environment. In actuality I am. He still has that difficult child part in him and should he be near "iffy" peers, lol, I fear he might choose to pick up some "easy money" or welcome difficult child's to stay over etc. Yeah, it may happen anyway but it's less likely to when his neighbors are "old people". DDD:fingerscrossed:

DammitJanet

$200,000! for a double wide! No way. Gulp.

Now 40 to 60 on owned land is decent, you just have to find one not in a senior lot. I knew the senior thing would be an issue because of where you are. My grandmother lived in FL forever. Up in Ormand Beach. Too bad this wasnt an issue back in 88. I think we sold that house for about 65K. Now granted it was only a 2 bed, 2 bath and didnt have AC but Im sure you could have figured that out. I have no idea how my grandmother and her sister lived all those years without AC in FL....lol. She was one block off of A1A. Actually, I wish we had been given that house back then. Im sure we could have made a third bedroom out of the garage. Though thinking about it, I dont think Cory would have done well growing up in FL.

LittleDudesMom

DDD, sorry, I must have missed something because I thought the other house was a "done deal" so to speak. Sorry about all the hoops - fingers crossed this one comes through.

Sharon

DDD

Only read this is you are bored, lol, as there is nothing new and exciting to share. on the other hand this house hunt has been unbelievable and I do "know" residential real estate. on the other hand this market is crazy. Here is a recap of our activities: (1) first house had been on the market and empty for nine months with no recent offers, we offered two grand under asking price all cash on a Friday....listing agent wrote contract and sold the house for one grand more and did not give us an offer to counter offer. (2) second house was huge, newer, and had been on the market for nine months vacant. We offered four grand under asking (no other offers had come in) and the offer was verbally accepted. THEN...the bank rep who had accepted the offer was told by his boss that our offer was too low, they would not counter and they were going to sell it on Auction.com (3) third house empty and no action. We made an offer and the offer was accepted in November. This is February and the bank will not turn on water/electric for inspections and will give no indication of when it might close. (4) fourth house we saw at 1 PM and as we left to go do full price offer the listing agent showed up to show the house. We offered full price, all cash. Listing agent sold it to his prospects for full price plus one grand. (5) fifth house I didn't like the neighborhood and it needed lots and lots of work. We had full inspections done which indicated even more work than was apparent. We made reduced offer with notations of inspection results. Bank would not respond. (6) Sixth house has been empty for a year, needs a little work but is in THE best location and about ideal. There have been no offers. It is listed by a Realtor on the W coast so there has been no sign on it, no local MLS and the listing agent says she "believes the bank is eager to sell". We have made an offer that leaves NO money leftover for repairs etc. We stipulated a short response time...Wednesday.

You all can likely understand how much time and effort has gone into finding a home for easy child/difficult child. I can't even explain how much I hope this flies. I also hope, lol, that there are no "issues" requiring repair. We've given are all on this one and I appreciate the good wishes etc. Based on the first five houses it is hard for us to be optimistic but we are hoping for the best and trying to stay prepared for the worst. SIGH! DDD

L

Liahona

Why on earth wouldn't the banks be bending over backwards to sell these houses? What would a bank want an empty house for? Are they just hoping the market goes back to to where it did so they don't have to take any loss? Are they trying to wait it out?

DDD

Good question, Liahona. I had read and I had "heard" that with so many "short sales" and "foreclosures" that the banks were slow as molasses. on the other hand it makes NO sense to me. When it happened with one house I thought "that bank must have problems" but turns out it is/was Bank of America not Po Dunk National Trust. LOL! In a million years I never imagined that an all cash, quick closing contract would be so difficult. Sigh! DDD

Nancy

Doesn't sound like good business to me on the banks part. Sending good thoughts that youroffer is accepted and you can finally put this behind you. I don't blame you for wanting to guide him into the best environment possible.

DDD

I knew you'd understand, Nancy. His girlfriend was eager for the "big" house in the iffy neighborhood but, then again, she comes from an iffy neighborhood. I don't know what he says to her but he reiterated last week to me "Mama, I want a house that is nice because I plan to live in that same house all my life. I'm not moving around or selling for profit. I want everyone to know "that's difficult children house" as long as I'm alive." We are a Homestead Exemption State so as soon as we close on a house he and I are going to file. It lowers your real estate taxes but it also protects your home from creditors. Phew/Whew! I am worried about girlfriend influencing him to buy furnishings etc. that he can not afford. This house effort, on the other hand, is my last big effort and then I'll get off his SS and pray he can maintain himself. by the way his girlfriend is not evil. She is very very very eager to get married (not possible for him to do so and keep his SS) and to make a home "for them". She does work thirty hours a week and if they live as roommates they can get along fine...adequately...financially. Meanwhile I asked him "do you thing you should have a will since you are getting older and will own a house?" and much to my surprise he responded "yes, I think I ought to have a simple one and leave everything to my little brother in case something happens to me". Yeah! I'll make that happen on the "down low" around closing time. What a life! DDD

buddy

I'm glad for your son he has a girlfriend and love in his life. My worry for him is probably along the lines of many typical couples ....they get in too deep and with his difficult child issues added that he may not have the insight to control that or curb her enthusiasm. That doesn't make her bad, just a risk. All you can do though is let him learn like most do...
And if he doesn't understand something you can explain risks etc. But, it will be his decision.
Wish they'd agree to a off paper marriage if it would help them financially. Is there such a thing? ( I don't mean living together but actually commit maybe even a ceremony....etc....just no license). Im nuts I realize .....

DDD

Buddy, SS actually includes a phrase something like this "married or presenting self as married". So, for example, "if" Janet and Tony were investigated (no reason to worry after all their years together) she would have either a sizable reduction in her disability or it could be cut off. Since he is a newbie I don't doubt he would have repercussions. In fact the employees at the SS office have stressed on more than one occasion "you do not want to get married". Due to his Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) I fear that he might not keep the warning in mind if she pushes for marriage. As I said she is not a bad person. on the other hand she is 34 has three children from prior relationships and really, really, really is eager to be his wife. As I mentioned here once before OMG she uses his last name on her FB page. I mentioned to him that it might not be a good idea for her to do that he said "Mama it's just Facebook". Hmmmmmmm DDD

buddy

I figured it was a fantasy.....darn. difficult child is vulnerable to her I'm sure, and even though her intentions are not bad...she sounds limited in some ways, just unable to see the bigger picture. Wish she could see her life would be much harder with so much less income between them.

Just Facebook, sigh....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Bank of America is rumored to be in trouble, as are several others.........but they're doing their best to keep it quiet hoping the economy takes a sudden upswing and gets them out of the hole, so to speak. I dunno, I'm no banker or realtor.

So maybe they're hoping for a better market. Problem is, the longer the house stands vacant, the more issues with the house there will be so odds are the market value will continue to drop.........I'd think they'd jump at the chance.

Keeping fingers crossed, body parts crossed, saying a prayer......and did a chicken dance in the back yard (good weather for it today). Hopefully this one will be a winner.

Hugs