ANY ONE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT

Wiped Out

Staff member
Has anybody tried the Manitowoc Ovens Breads-I'm not sure how widely distributed they are but they make great toast-no perservatives, very low fat and high fiber. I like it in the morning with the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray.

I also am loving the Simply Steamed veggies by Green Giant-they are really good!

Right now I just made two pans of brownies for our Fat Tuesday luncheon we are having tomorrow. I'm trying hard to avoid them. I have worked out the last three days in a row. Saturday I went to the club, yesterday I walked our dog 3 miles, and today a friend and I walked our school for 40 minutes.

Sue C

I did not do well with- my eating habits today, but I did ride my exercise bike for 5 minutes. Better than nothing which is what I've been doing!

:smile:

Sue

Janna

I signed up for that site, too, it looks really cool.

My attitude toward weight loss right now is in the toilet, but I know I really need to do something.

I did quit smoking, I tried to do both, smoking and weight, first of this year, but didn't get far. I don't miss the ciggys, but I just cannot give up the food.

And the thing that confuses me, is I'm fine most of the day. I wake up in the A.M., have a bowl of oatmeal. Around 10 AM, I have a piece of fruit (and if I'm really hungry I'll add a yogurt). Usually around 12:30, I feel a bit hungry, and I'll get my lunch.

Keep in mind, I have to FORCE myself to eat the oatmeal, the fruit at 10, and maybe 2x a week, I'll be hungry to add that yogurt.

Then, lunch. I was trying to mix things up a bit so I didn't get bored. I changed from white bread to low calorie wheat. I tried 3 different brands over a few weeks. I disliked them ALL. I felt like I was eating cardboard.

Healthy Choice lunch meats. 4 slices, just what the serving suggestion is. No mayo. Mustard (less calories, no fat). Fat free cheese, lots of lettuce. Baby carrots with the sandwich. Some days, low sodium, low calorie soups.

That was all good, for about 2 weeks, then I got sick of them.

My food choices are slim, too. I don't like many raw veggies. I see alot of the low fat or low calorie dinner recipes and gag. We're meat and potato people here. I mean, how can you make THAT low calorie?

Anyway, even with the lunch I was getting sick of, I was okay.

Then, 3:00 hits. From then on, it's over for me.

I get hungry. Not even hungry, I feel famished. I tried a 2nd yogurt, another piece of fruit with it. I have tried rice cakes. I have tried rice cakes with yogurt. I've tried rice cakes with peanut butter. I've tried extra celery, baby carrots, all kinda stuff.

I'm starving, not hungry, starving, every 30 minutes from 3 PM until bed.

What the heck?????????????????????????

So, then I gorge. Eat and eat and eat. I eat dinner. I eat alot of dinner. I'm sitting here, 9 PM, eating popcorn. Not air popped, fat free popcorn. Some stuff SO made, from a bag, extra butter, LOL - with a Pepsi, no less.

I do drink tons of water through the day, but geez, too much water just makes me want to gag.

And forget exercise. I have no time. I have no patience. I have no time.

I want to be thin so bad I can taste it. I have absolutely no will power. I cannot make it through one day. Not one.

So frustrating.

Janna

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
A trick to combat late day hunger, like when you're fixing dinner...a WW coach once told us to drink a cup of hot cocoa - the FF or SF ones...or a hot cup of tea to keep from munching.

A really delicious and nutritious lunch alternative is to take 3 large outer leaves of romaine lettuce, put some FF ceasar dressing inside, just a swipe. Add a slice of low salt turkey and some green onions and perhaps a slice of red pepper. Roll it up and eat it like a burrito...omg, so yummy and filling. I will have that and then have a granola bar about an hour later and I'm good for the afternoon until dinner fixin' time.

I love oatmeal, but it doesn't keep me full for very long. By far the Kashi high fiber cereals will keep me full for hours and hours.

busywend

Janna, can you try a Lean Cuisine at lunch? All you need is a microwave. They are usually around 4-6 points. I used to get hungry in the afternoons when I was eating them daily. I would then have a chocolate Kudos bar (2 points) to hold me over until dinner.

The quiting smoking thing is really important to keep up - just not gaining right now will be key. I lost 30 pounds last year then quit smoking. I have gained between 5 and 8 pounds - keep going up and down. It is frustrating to say the least. But, sometimes I just have to eat whatever it is or I will go buy a pack. Not often, but it does still happen. Been almost 3 months now.

needabreak

way to sue ,hey 5 minets is a start.i did pretty good at the gym but only lasted half an hour.tomorror ill try a little longer.if i can find my bathing suit ill go swimming.the only promblem is swimming makes me hungry.
i cheked out that spark site and it is pretty cool but there is so much.i did a home page if any one wants to check it out.i kept the same name.needabreak1.
janna bravo on quitting smoking i wish i could but one thing at a time.thats my nerve pill every day.please dont take that away from me.lol.well im going to chek out a few more things here and then its time for bed i can not believe my difficult child is in bed.he not asleep but he is in bed watching barnyard.well check into tomorror starting day two.....

F

flutterbee

To me, low-calorie, low-fat equals low taste. And I just won't eat it. I know if I try, I might do it for a while and then I will just binge. And for the record, I *hate* skim milk. It makes me gag. All the diets call for skim milk. Sorry. Ain't gonna happen. I'm a 2% girl. And I think that's ok. Moderation is key for me. And any diet that requires I cut out a certain kind of food just will not work for me. I know my limits.

I'm not going to make any major changes over night. If I start out that way, it will never last more than a couple days. But I'm going to start making some smarter choices. And then some more after that.

Janna - You mentioned trying various breads. There is a brand, I think it's called Brownberry, that has a wheat bread that is really, really good. I don't know the calorie count on it, but it's loaded with fiber and an open faced sandwich on that would stick with you for a while. I'm not big on wheat or grain breads, but I really like that one. I also wonder if maybe you're starting out too hard and that's why you're binging at night. Just cause that's what I would do. Maybe allow yourself your "normal" dinner in the beginning and work up to something lower calorie. Do the smart breakfast, lunch and snacks and maybe just knowing that you are not going to be depriving yourself come dinner time will be enough to satisfy you. Just a thought. Maybe it will work. Maybe not. I also think it's important that you find some low-cal foods that you really like so it doesn't feel like you're punishing yourself. You mentioned rice cakes. If my choices were be heavy or eat rice cakes, I'd pick be heavy...no contest. LOL There has to be something better than that! Have you checked out the menu planner on that site? I'm a fairly picky eater, but they have some things on there that I can't wait to try. They also have a pretty nice recipe section.

The most important thing, though, is to not beat yourself up if you "fall off the wagon" one night. Tomorrow is a new day. Try, try again.

So my question is...why aren't there m&m's on my meal planner? :hammer:

Hi needabreak,

There is no really simple method that works. I've always been into fitness before my son was born, even though I never participated in competitive sports. I was always considered skinny; no matter what I ate, I wouldn't gain weight. I recall buying high protein shakes that guaranteed weight gain, but instead left me feeling bloated and constipated. I just began to eat mostly takeout and when I cooked it was fried, rarely raw, salty, heavily breaded and/or dripping with oil. I used to be a light smoker from my teens, (a pack a week person) I was married 5 years, but my clock at 29 was ticking and we wanted to have a child. I decided to give up cigs, no other vices. I quit (for the third and final time) cold turkey and I changed my eating habits. I ate healthier for months to prepare for my baby. I breastfed my difficult child so I continued to eat healthier. Then I returned to the workplace when my maternity leave ended and that was when my metabolism began to change. I never smoked again, but food was my best friend. I couldn't resist the homemade cookies or brownies someone brought in. Then there were the company parties and buffets. I couldn't understand why my clothes were bursting from the seams from the inside out and I couldn't button or zip my pants. So I began tossing clothes out and then I began wearing knit slacks and skirts. I'd expanded to the point that when I put on my zip ups, I couldn't wear them. So I lived in those knits. In 16 years, I had gained 30 pounds. I am only 5' 7-1/2" but 160 lbs was too heavy for me. I got winded, knees started hurting and I was always tired. 37 weeks ago, I weighed 160 pounds. It may not sound like a lot but I didn't like what stared back at me and I was leaning toward the last notch on my belt and I wondered wow, how did I get so out-of shape. One day, I re-visited a book in my library titled 8 minutes in the morning and I worked that thing. The author, Jorge Cruise, was on Oprah. I followed the 8 minutes book for 10 weeks and I changed dramatically no starving myself. I've modified my workouts because I've gotten more competitive, not to get stick-thin. In October 2006, the company fitness center had a workout contest, you set your fitness goals and meet them in 6 out of 10 weeks and you get a $10 gift certificate. Meet all 10 weeks and you earn a $25 gift certificate. For my efforts, I won a $25.00 Gift certificate to spend a Bath and Body Works (my choice of gift certificate) . Obesity and high blood pressure runs in my family and according to the BMI charts, I was reaching the level of becoming overweight. I couldn't fit my clothes. So from 8 minutes, I learned how to change my diet, (I am going to list my food additions randomly in a moment) minimize or cut out the fried foods, ate salmon once a week, added fiber, fresh fruits and veggies and I kept a 2 Liter bottle of water (refilling it twice) on my desk at all time. Cut out or reduce sugar intake. I don't use Splenda or Equal, I just cut out a teaspoon of my usual sugar portion ( I used to drink coffee with 5 sugars, believe that --not its down to 2 packet or 2 teaspoon. Do this slowly eventually you don't miss it. I drink warm beverages, no diet sodas, hot water and lemon or just plain hot water. 8 glasses a day. I don't bring junk food into my home, my difficult child didn't like it then and still doesn't like it, but he's trying. husband is trying to get on board. He is type 2 diabetic and has hypertension and I can say with all honesty I had nothing to do with that. He has no restraint when he is out with friends or business partners. Eat lentils, boiled egg whites, salads (balsamic vinegar and flax seed oil, broiled chicken, turkey breast without the skin, try soups (not Campbell's, unless you like sodium with your soup), brown rice, buy fresh spices like turemic (sp) for example to break the salt habit. If you eat out, buy one entree or dessert and cut it in half and take the other half home for lunch at work, dump it, or share your meal with your SO, child, friend. Eat your dinner on a salad or dessert plate so you think you are pigging out. Eat calmly. Breathe. psychiatric your mind. I would buy a small vending bag of chips and take out half and throw the other half away. I love microwave popcorn. I pop it at work and I put half of that bag into a bowl and leave it in the kitchen to share with others. Today, I took a dear friend out to breakfast at Perkins. For myself, I ordered 3 pancakes, with bacon, 2 scrambled eggs, hash browns. My friend ordered her own breakfast. As soon as I got mine, I cut everything in half and told the waitress to take it away from me and not to pack it up. I was fine. Other things I've adopted are oatmeal, low fat milk, yogurt, ice cream and cottage cheese. Keep a food diary, walk up a flight of stairs instead of using the elevator. I know this is all a lot to take in. I like using the gym and I walk 3 miles a day on the treadmill and I am not racing like a madwoman. I do it in 49 minutes, but I am going to start backing off to walk a minumum of 2.5 miles a day (4x a day) and start walking 14.50 miles a minute for 30 minutes. This is for my heart and lungs. Five years ago, I joined a walking club with some girlfriends and we'd train together to prepare, but I developed bursitis in my knees and I stopped. So I suggest that you participate in a 5 or 10K walk for charity. You're doing two good things at one time! Due to my help of my PT, my knees got stronger, so I incorporate this practice into my workout on alternating days. Sundays, I do nothing. My knees are much better, I kept up my PT exercises in the midst of the 8 minutes workout and then I jumped on the treadmill. I am going to participate in a 10K in June and participate in AIDS Walk NY in May. I love walking outdoors. In a recent posting, I indicated that I've begun adding in yoga and Pilates only on Saturdays. This equipment is in my own home. I do some weight training, using low weights and high reps, so I won't get bulky. I use the cardio equipment also at my company gym before work. I have 3-8 lbs of dumbbells and a balance ball, a step, an abroller, and several videos to keep me company when I can't get to the gym. No more than an hour to do the cardio and the weight training with warm up and cool-down. I know the book said 8 minutes but I decided to extend my workouts to do strengthen my knees, stretch, warm up and cool down properly. Drink green tea, take flaxseed oil capsules, whole wheat bread, with-w pasta, olive oil to cook (8 minutes in the morning). If I go to a party at night, drink water as so not to over eat. It is not easy, my metabolism is weird, if I don't work out consistently or I break my diet and don't work out, I gain weight. My favorite show was The Biggest Loser-I did bicep curls or situps during the commercials. If those contestants can do it, I knew I could meet my goal. My weakness are sweets like chocolate and baked goodies. So I keep almonds and raisins at my desk to snack out. But when I am close to my monthly, then I am at the vending machine going for a snickers bar fighting the impulse, however I don't slack off on the workouts. If you deprive yourself all of the time, you'll get discouraged and give up, so go ahead and have that chicken wing or that biscuit with gravy, just do it in moderation or at least once in a while. Read health mags, read labels, I am still learning. My food cart is so colorful with fruits and veggies, not much processed stuff. Nutrition and exercise are the keys. To bring this all to a close, I am hovering between 141- 143 lbs, I am 2 dress and jean sizes smaller and I love what is looking back at me. I can't wait to wear a modest two-piece bathing suit (no belly fat) and invest in a summer working wardrobe, because my old stuff isn't working anymore. A co-worker noticed my weight loss and she gave me two size 8 dresses ( I had nothing to wear) and they fit! I was 130 lbs before my son was born and my goal is to weigh 140 and keep it there. If I don't make it, I will still love myself. I may be reaching a set point weight which is where I probably need to be. Get a checkup from your doctor before you do some of the exercises for clearance and/or get a fitness evaluation from the staff at your local gym. I've probably said some of the same things the other posters said, but I hope if one thing I said can motivate you, get started, today is here; you can do it. Persevere, I did and it worked. You'll fall down, just keep getting up and looking up. Smile... Good luck needabreak! sorry to be so long.

needabreak

well good morning.start of a new day.allready late for school so missed breakfast they have apples at schoolso ill eat one when i get there.im going to take a ww meal with me for lunch and i have my water and ready to go.have a good day everyone.

KATES_MOM

I started ww in January, I weighed in last night and have lost my first 10lbs. Its not that hard, I have tried every pill and diet out there. This works if you are serious about it. Most diets( cabbage soup) etc... you will lose, but alot of it is fluid, and it comes back really quick. On ww I can still have any food I want but all foods cost points and you are only allowed so many a day. But the core plan they have allows no points counting. I would strongly urge this way of life. It truely has not been hard!! The is a site someone from here gave to me that is ww all the way with all kinds of info, recipies etc... it http://www.dwlz.com
I am now noticing my pants are getting loose, and I had to tighen up my bra straps!! YEAHHHHH. It really does feel good to see some results. Kathy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Like our difficult child's there is no magic fix. You have to consume less calories than you use. It's plain and simple, right?
You can eat less food and not exercise. You can exercise and not change your eating habits. Or you can cut calories where you can and exercise mildly.
I am just not someone who does well if I don't do some sort of exercise. Walking has always been the way I start. At my age 51,I have to work that heart a little for both health and toning.

If you don't like what's offered as suggestions, find what works for you. Personally, I like a lot of the low fat/low calorie things. The light bread doesn't bother me one bit. I like oatmeal with fresh fruit and skim milk. Whole milk gags me. I haven't had it for 30yrs. I would like to think that we will encourage each other to try things that work for each of us. I like many of the lean cuisines and WW meals and desserts. I tend towards more the pasta cheese mixes or rice and beans than their meats. Lean pockets are a good lunch choice. Find something that works for you and don't eat the same thing every day.

Maybe you will find a way that works for you that will help us.

amstrong

Goodmorning!

I stayed on WW program yesterday and went to Curves. Today, so far, I have had 16 oz of water, yogurt and grapefruit. Meeting thismorning was accompanied by donuts and coffe cake--I abstained! This is BIG because I love those Krisy Kreme filled donuts! I will probably have a WW meal for lunch and a turkey burger for supper.

Nature's Own makes a sugar free white and wheat bread that is pretty good and low in points for WW people. Wonder light breads are good too. I usually get my bread in the form of St. Thomas whole wheat english muffins. I love them toasted with Laughing Cow cheese spread on them.

Hope everyone else does well today!

See Ya!

jannie

trying to survive....
Armstrong-
I'm so proud of you for resisting the donuts and cake !!! Wait to go !! It sounds like your meals are planned-Planning is key !!

I also started WW four weeks ago...I had a great start, but have gone down hill with all of these snow days...

So far, I've had a good start for the day--

I'm hoping I have the stength--I need to do this--

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm hoping for a good day.
I was feeling hungry last night. I have a horrid sweet tooth. I did
1/16th of angel food cake with a small individual sugar free peaches then sugar free fat free pudding on top. It worked pretty well for me.
I'm hope to walk and do a little light weights for my arms that are getting floppy.

Good luck to all of you who are going day to day like me.

Janna

Robyn, HOW did you stay away from the cake? OMG, good for you!

You guys are making me want to do this, so thank you!

I've done good so far, but it's only 12:30 LOL! I did my oatmeal for breakfast (Jo, I have to get that cereal, I want to check it out on Saturday when I go to the store), apple at 10:30 and I had a Lean Cuisine box for lunch. The swedish meatballs one, it was actually pretty good. I have a banana and an apple here at my desk for in case, and a raspberry yogurt in the fridge for around 3. I need to find a good, healthy mid afternoon snack that is not going to kill it for me, but keep me satisfied. The rice cakes, yes - yuck.

I have fat free chicken :censored2: in the crock pot for supper. I will have a half with some rice. The men of the house will have baked potatoes, but I cannot have mine without sour cream and gobs and gobs of butter, so for today, I will stay away from them LOL!

Hope everyone else is doing good so far today!

Janna

amstrong

Wasn't easy to stay away from the cake/donuts!!

Fran, difficult child calls that floppy arm jiggle, "lunch lady arms"!!! :rofl: So now that's what husband and I call 'em!

needabreak

well goofed a little bit at school.we had nuggetts and i had two of them.but i have had two bottles of water,so far.going exercise today going to try to stay a little longer.my only promblem is i love coke and when i dont drink any it seems that i always get a headacke.probley withdrawl.lol.thanks for the advice so far.
aols i read they have a recall on oscar mayer/louis rich brand chicken strips they may be contaminated with listeria monocytogenes.
every one were doing great we can do this.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Robin all I can say is :smile:. I have heard them called bat wings too. Now I can call them lunch lady arms. :smile: It's a bear getting older. I think I'll go lift some weights.

saving grace

Uggghhh I did so good until this afternoon we had a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and filling for a coworker. I joked and justified that it was a vegtable cake. LOL

husband also made meatloaf for dinner, not the greatest for WW but I only had a very small piece, and some broccoli. I feel real lazy today too. Stress does me in, I just cant get motivated when my mind is spinning.

I will not snack tonight, I will not snack tonight,I will not snack tonight,I will not snack tonight,I will not snack tonight,

Grace

needabreak

grace-snacking is not bad as long as you snack good.lol.have you tryed snackwells cream sandwiches or the shotbread they are really good
went to the gym.and swam for 45 minets.also joged in the pool.it was so relaxing and they have daycare there so it was my time to my self.had 1 more bottle of water,im not a real big water drinker so i got those packets you can put into your water.the diet ones.well how is every one else doing.
how is that cabbage diet going?
and robyn why does difficult child call them lunch lady arms?just wandering im a lunch lady.now im going to have to do some wieght lifting.lol