richmanlopez

I have a 6 year old in kindergarten who just just not listen to me at all and is physically agressive in school and at home and grabs from other children and teases them. Ofcourse she has no friends or playdates and I have no friendships with the classmates parents and am lonely, depressed, exhausted. I can hardly take her anywhere because it is just too stressful. We have about 5-8 blowouts in the home and car daily and I am so beaten down over this. The neuro/pysch started her out 1.5 weeks ago on 1/2 of a .25 dose. She is a touch better in terms of calmness but still is defiant and disturbing her classmates and won't do most of her homework and fights me about brushing teaching and bathing. I wonder if anyone else has had any success with this medication with this type of child. She has a developmental disorder due to aq brain abnormality not ODD the doctor clearly stated. She does display the defiance and agressiveness still. I worry about the possible strong side affects of Risperdone and do not like that but am worried about her delveloping horrible self esteem and falling behind in school do to all the rejection and punishment she brings on!

DS3

I didn't have any luck with Risperidone and my difficult child. He was initially put on it to help him go to sleep at night, and we had an adverse effect of it actually keeping him awake. We tried this for about 4 weeks before I just took him off of it. I found an upped dosage of his Adderall and some firmer limits helped to do the trick. Granted, we also have an ABA therapist helping us with those too.

DDD

Did the Neuro/psychiatric do a complete evaluation of your daughter? Usually that takes around six hours of testing to discover what her issues may be. It sounds as though only one issue has been identified. Has she always had problems getting along with others or is just apparent now because of her age? Does she behave better when she is with others rather than just at home? I know...that's alot of questions, lol.

In answer to your question Risperdone was and is very helpful for my difficult child. He has taken it for years and for our family it is has successfully helped him keep his outburst under control. Like most of our difficult child's he has more than one problem and it took time to sort it out. He is very sensitive to those around him and from a young age does a much better job of coping when he is in a structured quiet environment. He requires serenity, support and the knowledge that he will always have meals at about the same time, medications at the same time, baths at the same time etc. and unexpected changes in that schedule throw him way off target.

Tell us about your difficult child. The more we know about her the more likely we are to help you. DDD

flutterby

Fly away!
My difficult child takes risperdal for mood regulation. She is not physically aggressive, but verbally and it has helped tremendously. Risperdal is great for aggression and impulse control. However, .125 mg (1/2 of .25 mg) is a very, very low dose. If you're seeing some improvement on that dose, I'd talk to the doctor about increasing it.

R

raregem

One of my 9 year old's medications is Risperdal. You were worried about side effects, I haven't seen any side effects with Risperdal. It does seem to help his mood a little. Remember that every medication is different with every child. You may want to talk to the doctor about increasing the dose as Flutterby suggested.

Good Luck and hugs

JJJ

My son Eeyore was on Risperdal. He did have to discontinue it due to side effects, but the side effects cleared up as soon as it was out of his system.

I'm a huge fan of the whole atypical antipsychotic class of medications for treating aggression in children. Three of my four had issues with extreme aggression and the APs gave two of them back their childhoods! They made friends!

Chaosuncontained

Carson is on it. We just moved up to .75 per day. I haven't seen any side effects. But we are still dealing with agression and impulsivness. But we have a doctor's appointment coming up soon.

Carson also has a hard time socially. A few days ago a student lead the class in a "chant" about adding and subtracting decimals. When she was finished she got to pick another student who had been quiet and still to lead the next one. She didn't pick Carson so he threw his pencil across the room at her. This is just a small example of his impulsive agression.

BusynMember

What is your son's diagnosis? Did you have the full 6-10 hours of testing? I was unaware that neuropsychs could prescribe medication. Without an ironclad diagnosis due to hours and hours of testing, I'd get another opinion.

My son got the beginning of a movement disorder due to the Risperdal. If not removed in time, the movement disorder can become permanent. He slept a lot and cried a lot and it did nothing for him that was positive. I would research before putting your child on such a strong medicationi. In retrospect, I wish I had done the same. My son gained twenty pounds in one month on Risperdal. It makes the child non-stop hungry.

KTMom91

Risperdal was a lifesaver for Miss KT, and by extension, for us. No more holes punched in walls, no more broken tile on my kitchen counter, no more doors torn off hinges and thrown at me...

She did gain some weight, but it wasn't a huge amount.

InsaneCdn

She has a developmental disorder due to aq brain abnormality
This is a key factor. Because... how any of the drugs work depends partly on exactly what the situation is in the brain to start with. Really, these medications are intended to alter brain chemistry. You really have to find the right combo.

Have used this medication with difficult child... some side effects but NOT weight gain, which psychiatrist says is partly because of also being on high dose of Concerta (which can suppress appetite). For us, gains were huge and side-effects manageable, so far. BUT... we were dealing with crisis-induced psychosis, not an acquired brain abnormalty.

ready2run

i have my difficult child on it as well. he is also six and started on .125 like your little one back when he was 4. he is now getting .5 at bedtime and .25 in the am and in the afternoon. it has made a huge difference with his aggressive behaviour. he used to hit himself and cry and attack people. he still does once in a while but not on a daily basis and never as severely as he used to. he actually has a few friends at his new school this year, since we added the morning and afternoon dose he has been saying hi to the other kids and replying to them when they talk to him instead of telling them to go away or ignoring them. he still has alot of problems but i am very pleased with the progress he's made with the risperidone. before the medications we were considering putting him into foster care because he was ruining our lives. now he is manageable.

buddy

My son has a brain injury and autism and we tried both Risperdal/risperdone and seroquel. He raged and became totally out of control with the first dosage levels. His new psychiatrist has said that one reason that some kids (like mine who has very low enzymes for processing these drugs) react poorly at the lower doses because they are not working on the right brain chemical system that needs to be targeted for them...the higher doses then can do that. (or it might not work at all but she said that is what happens for some kids). So if we were to ever try again, it would be under medical supervision and he would be started at a high dose and brought down to the lowest possible dose that works. I think it is really important to find a doctor who knows their stuff and is willing to talk to everyone you feel has insight into the big picture of your child. Just MHO. I feel blessed that medications help my son though finding the right ones is a big challenge.

JJJ

As Buddy said, low doses can be activating for some kids and counter to what we'd think, the higher dose works much better. It will be a lot of trial and error to find the right medication mix and dosages.

richmanlopez

Here is the actual full transicrit the doctor put together after testing my little one. He actually is a neuropsychologist doctor which is good: This has been going on since she was 1 year old.

I’ve met initially with ******* to give her a synopsis of what was done, and to reassure her that there are lots of things she did very well and that I am hopeful we will have a recommendation that will help her to achieve her goal and that is to control her impulsiveness and be more socially appropriate so that friendships can evolve and socialization can occur. She has been excused and now mother and maternal grandmother have joined me to review the results.

The quantitative neurological examination showed that her height at 51 ½ inches puts her well beyond the 95[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile and she is just above the 95[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile with her weight of 62.7 pounds. She is right handed with a laterality quotient of +100, right-eyed, right-footed, and *******. When holding the writing instrument in writing, she uses a non-inverted wrist but full grasp hand posture. Writing speed is slow in order to try to gain control of the letters. Overflow movements from the left to the right hand occur. Balance is reduced on the right versus the left lower extremity. Timed alternate motion rate in the right hand is slower than in the left, but otherwise no other lateralizing signs in reflexes, coordination or involuntary movements was detected.

Academic measures showed that the Gray Oral Reading Test was accomplished at the end of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] grade with adequate decoding skills. Writing is difficult, but she can spell at a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] grade level. Math skills were hampered by problems in accuracy in more complex addition, such as 4+3 = 2, and she does not have mastery of the concept of subtraction, and she is in grade K but is a retained child from entry into 1[SUP]st[/SUP] grade.

Parent rating scales on the DSM-IV show impulsivity, borderline hyperactivity, but not clear evidence of inattentiveness. On the Achenbach Behavior Checklist, aggressiveness, problems in socialization, social withdrawal and obsessiveness were prominent, with lower levels of personality traits seen in children with attentional problems. On Rapid Automatized Naming she did well, getting 10 animals in one minute, which is normal, and picture naming, all 8 identified in 17 seconds, but substituted fire truck for bus, U for horseshoe and hook for anchor, all three of which are common at age 6 years 2 months. On the Student’s Depression Inventory, ******* endorsed difficulties with interpersonal relationships as a major concern, as well as a moderate level of lack of joy in her life.

Neuropsychological measures showed on the Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test that the verbal learning curve is good. The top score is 7 out of a possible 10, normal 6 or more, and a total score of 30, normal mid-20s or more. Recall was borderline at 4 words or 57% recall. Ideally, we’d like that closer to 75%. On Kagan’s Matching Familiar Figures Test, her time was normal at 176 seconds, and the error rate at 15 on this visual discrimination task was
CONTINUED:

NAME: *******

DATE: October 12, 2011
Page two

within the normal range at 15, normal 20 or less. Letter Cancellation was done in normal time at 3 minutes 9 seconds for the 1-letter version of this task. It is a proofreading task of attention. Three errors were made, which is borderline in significance for inattentiveness, but all three were in the right hemi space, suggestive of left hemispheric dysfunction, as was the quantitative examination. On digits forward, she did adequately for chronological age, getting 4 out of 8 trials up to 4 numbers in a row in sequence properly repeated, but she could not reverse even 2 numbers. That is borderline, but there are 6 year olds who just don’t have the concept of how to reverse the sequence of 2 numbers. On the Rey-Osterrieth Complex Figure Test she had difficulty with visual-motor skills and visual perception. Short term and long term visual spatial memory are also weak. However, this specific task will not optimize until age 13, so it is hard to be harsh with her. Finally, on the Conners’ Continuous Performance Test, this computerized test of attentiveness confirmed that for whatever reason attention is not easy for her at this moment.

The routine electroencephalogram showed a dysrhythmia grade 1.5, a mild to moderate change, slowing but no sharp wave discharges as occur in epilepsy, and this is confined to the left temporal parietal region. The computer assisted analysis confirmed the clinical impression of the routine study, as well as the N100/P300 both having prolonged latencies as occur in developmental disorders at 220 milliseconds, normal less than 100 milliseconds, and 328 milliseconds, respectively, normal less than 300 milliseconds.

This, in my judgment, is a brain-based disorder in which biological dysfunction forces the child into behaviors that she cannot control that include trying to control the behavior of others. This is not oppositional-defiant behavior. This does not mean she can never been oppositional and defiant. It means that the symptoms of greatest concern are not voluntary. Whether the brain dysfunction contributes to this is hard to prove by the physiology measure, but chemical therapy is appropriate. We have talked about SSRIs (there are two family members who have been responsive favorably to Celexa) and the atypical neuroleptics. We know of one family member who did not tolerate Abilify while on Celexa. She has not been tolerant of Prozac or Paxil, as well as the psychostimulants which either made her overly obsessive or explosive. Antiepileptics are a consideration, but without sharp wave discharges, I would prefer to consider first the atypicals and perhaps Risperdal because of its generic availability and cost effectiveness is worth considering, starting with just half of a 0.25 mg at bedtime. That can be increased to a full and later on, after I return from overseas, I would anticipate we will be adding a half or a full in the morning. These are very low dosages, but observation for appetite stimulation should be carried out. Withdrawal is not an issue and general health effects, unless there is weight gain, are not a concern either.
CONTINUED:

NAME: ******
DATE: October 12, 2011*******

Page three

DISMISSAL DIAGNOSES: 300.3; 345.40; secondary inattentiveness

richmanlopez

I meant to say he is a medical doctor. A neuropsychatrist. That is very interesting information about the higher dose. I am one to normally quit to soon on medications if I do not see the results that are desired. I am going to bring that up to doctor. I have learned so much here it is amazing.

DDD

Did you all discuss the possible use of stimulant medication in addition to the Risperdal? Those two medications worked together very well for our difficult child#2. I see the notation of impulsivity and wondered if there was followup on that? DDD

InsaneCdn

Ditto DDD... our psychiatrist says the two (AP medications and stims) often go together because quite often the side-effects cancel out.

buddy

I meant to say he is a medical doctor. A neuropsychatrist. That is very interesting information about the higher dose. I am one to normally quit to soon on medications if I do not see the results that are desired. I am going to bring that up to doctor. I have learned so much here it is amazing.

And to be clear, my son has a low enzyme condition which makes medications more tricky to administer...so not sure that it is in relation ONLY to that issue or for many since she said the problem was that at the lower doses one system was triggered, at the higher another (the more calming chemicals) so it did sound like it could be true for lots of folks, not just people with the enzyme condition.

richmanlopez

Yes I tried the stims but without the risperdone and then my kid went nuts! Monster nuts. doctor said that stims would not be suited for her. I am glad they worked well for your children. I will keep trying. I would love for Celexa alone to work for her but doctor has not put her on that yet. He is still focusing on risperdone.

buddy

well if I have learned anything it is this...
hope for the best, plan for the worst.

There is a great chance that this may help! Just make sure you know what you are going to do if she has a response that is not good. Ask ahead of time what to do so if you can't get thru to your doctor you can just start get her better right away. In the mean time all my thoughts are with you for this to be a part of the answer for her.