Anyone taper off of Intuniv?

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
difficult child switched from 2mg to 1mg of Intuniv a few days ago. We want to take him off altogether. Has anyone weaned their child off of Intuniv? If so, how do you taper down from 1mg - since you cannot cut it in half? The pharmacist suggested possibly doing one every other day for awhile, then every two days for awhile. My difficult child is pretty sensitive to medications and I think that would mess him up. Anyone just stop cold turkey with 1mg?

InsaneCdn

Haven't used this medication. But we have tapered others off the way your pharmacist said... only more slowly than that. We dropped one day a week. Then the next week, we took two out, spread across the week, then three...

justour2boys

Momto2Boys
I'll tell you how we started using Intuniv and you might do the reverse... but talk to your doctor.

We started with the generic twice-a-day Guanfacine. First was 1/2 of 1 mg in AM for 5 days then 1/2 of 1 mg in AM and again in PM for 5 days. Then 1/2 of 1 mg in AM and 1 mg in PM for 5 days. Then 1 mg in AM and 1 mg in PM. I had to check his blood pressure each day and I emailed the results to the doctor before I upped the dose.

After a 2 months we switched to Intuniv 2mg for the convenience of once a day dosing.

The generic Guanfacine is a small tablet and can be split, just be careful... it is a very small tablet so I used a pill splitter.