Anyone with experience using Sand Tray Therapy?

HMBgal

Hi all. My grandson has a new psychiatrist. He wants to do this type of therapy, only with Minecraft. It's one-on-one therapy. It seems really cool, but wondered what experiences you might have had.

HMBgal

Drug changes for sure. This doctor is less sure of the ADHD piece being the main problem to bi-polar, depression, or something else that really hasn't been taken into account (we did find some bi-polar in the family background, or at least very suspicious of it). We've always had the feeling that we're missing something. We thought it might by the Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder, and that's getting closer, but not quite. It's so complicated!

Sand Tray uses figures and characters to narrate and get the kids talking and interacting and getting their feelings about things. They build "worlds" and situations.
From a website search:
Sand tray therapy is a form of expressive therapy that is sometimes referred to as sandplay (although sandplay does have a slightly different approach) or the World Technique. It was developed by Margaret Lowenfeld, Goesta Harding, Charlotte Buhler, Hedda Bolgar, Lisolette Fischer, Ruth Bowyer, and Dora Kalff. This type of therapy is often used with children, but can be applied to adults, teens, couples, families, and groups as well. Sand tray therapy allows a person to construct his or her own microcosm using miniature toys and colored sand. The scene created acts as a reflection of the person’s own life and allows him or her the opportunity to resolve conflicts, remove obstacles, and gain acceptance of self.

Only in this case, it will be with Minecraft. Grandson is so excited. He wants to bring his oh so wonderfully neurotypical sister in to show them what they've been playing and building together. So much different than where he was going: "How are things going? Trouble at school? Up the Ability/Intuniv/whatever." That was literally it. Might be another rabbit hole, might be instructive. Who knows? I'll keep ya posted.

Last edited:

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I do not know anything about this but it sounds wonderful and he is excited so sounds positive all the way around.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
My granddaughter, at age 4-6 utilized sand tray in her therapy after her Dad committed suicide. In my opinion it was extremely helpful. I worked with it a couple of times in my own therapy. I think it is a wonderful tool for children, they don't have the ability to express their issues the way an adult does. A very good friend of mine is a therapist and he utilizes it with his clients with success.

HMBgal

Thanks for your responses. It sounds hopeful. Then I get on other threads about medications and I'm kind of thinking that this doctor is suspicious of bi-polar. I know it's controversial subject in diagnosing kids and that it's being over-diagnosed. When he starts recommending that class of drugs, I'm sure I'll be freaking out all over again. Recovering, I'm glad the stand tray therapy was helpful of your grand baby. It makes sense to me, intuitively.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
HMBgal, there is evidence that creativity in any form helps those with mental illness. My sister is bi-polar and is an artist......her art has saved her life in so many ways......creative pursuits can alter the impact of mental illness.......there are many, many very talented people who are also mentally ill by our standards of diagnosis, but drugs, although certainly helpful to many, are not the only answer. My sister refused drugs and focused on her art and it worked for her. I am not advocating anything here, just sharing my experience.