areas of intelligence

idohope

difficult child took a survey in school that was to identify areas of strongest intelligence out of 8 areas of intelligence:
1. verbal/linguistic
2. logical/mathematical
3. visual/spatial
4. kinesthic
5. musical
6. intrapersonal
7, interpersonal
8. naturalist

difficult child scored a 0 on the intrapersonal area. The questions were things like " if I am happy or angry I ususally know why" or "I stay in touch with my moods. I have no trouble identifying them" There were 5 questions associated with each type of intelligence and difficult child seemed to have no understanding of her moods or facial expressions or any of the things related to her emotions.

Has anyone else seen this in their difficult child?

The neuropysch testing identified her main issue as anxiety and that she was not on the spectrum. I think this could fit in that her anxiety is so overwhelming to her and mixes with anger so that she is just unable to sort out her feelings and make any sense of them.

I welcome your thoughts.

exhausted

This comes from Howard Gardner's multiple intelligence theory. What you should know is that it is not a science and is debated. It is widely used in education because we teachers see that offering different "modes" of teaching and learning engages more kids. My tough kids come out all over on this test. Some have intra/interpersonal scores that are low and some suffer with verbal. It is not a true intellegence test and it also relies on kids to be honest and know themselves. I would not base one inch of child assessment on this! This test just speeks of their preferences not necessarily their true skills.

Marguerite

It is a signpost, nothing more. However, you can use this to get some more specific and accurate testing done in the same way we've just had difficult child 3 re-tested to really pinpoint the exact problems we need to deal with.

School assessments tend to be rough approximations, nothing more. Those administering tests in the school system (and therefore analysing them) are also generally a lot less skilled, which can lead to some serious mistakes sometimes.

Marg

TerryJ2

I agree, it is a useful signpost, but surely you know it isn't "intelligence" per se. There are a slew of motivational books out with-"emotional intelligence" in the titles, for example. It's all the rage. And rightly so--if a person is an extrovert and loves people, they may go on to become a public speaker, Know what I mean?? But a kid still has to do his homework in the meantime. ;)

idohope

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I was just struck by how unaware of her feelings and her lack of understanding of them. Even if she was lying about this I do think it is telling.