Beware Major Vent in Progress

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm taking Antomy and Physiology online. No hoo hoo, I've taken onine courses before.

Ha!

I've had nothing but major TROUBLE with this course. The new Blackboard system that replaced WebCT is so screwy and messed up I swear I wanna go hunt down the folks that created/sell it and beat them to a bloody pulp.:grrr:

Situation:

Nichole and I are both in the same online course of A&P. Nichole, of course, has her own log in name and password, as do I. These are based on your student ID numbers and ss#. The program should have NO problem recognizing that we are two DIFFERENT students.

Problem 1 : I use IE as my browser. At first it was compatable with Blackboard. I had no problems. Then suddenly I can't get to the course powerpoints or the assignments. Assignments are vital as you have to click on the link to send them to the instructor.

So we call the Help Desk. I gave them the error message that kept popping up every time I tried to access the assignments. They'd never heard of the error message and recommended I download Firefox browser as it is compatable with Blackboard.

Ok. So I download Firefox onto my computer. It lets Nichole onto Blackboard. Then won't let me in. We go into tools and remove saved passwords and check appropriate securtiy boxes that should allow me access.

I manage to get on, for about a half hour and it throws me off again. I can't get back in.:919Mad:

So, husband downloads Firefox to his laptop. Funny thing, he types in my password and user name and gets right in. *snarl* Only problem, all my homework is saved to MY computer. And I need the paint program that's on my computer to finish the homework and lab assignment.

And who's to say how long it'll let me stay logged in?

Oh, and here's another weird thing. If I'm logged onto Blackboard via IE and go to check my grades it shows it under my name. BUT if I go to check on turned in assignments it only shows me Nichole's!!

WTF?? That shouldn't be possbile as she has her OWN log in name and password!!!

Believe me when I call the Help Desk first thing in the morning they are gonna get an ear full!! Bad enough that I've been messed up in their computer system since I first enrolled back in 2001. And yes, I keep telling them and they "supposedly" keep fixing it yet it never works. But I didn't pay good money to take a freaking class that I can't even access!!!

ARGH!!!:919Mad::grrr::smashcomputer::clubbing:

Ok. Vent over for now.

Now i have to come up with a way to get my assignments in. And pray it lets me stay logged on long enough to take the online quiz.

F

flutterbee

Try going into IE and deleting your cookies and in Firefox mark the box to always clear your private data when you close firefox.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Let me just tell you and say to you that I am so impressed!!! I took A&P when I was in my 20's and unmedicated.... I had no study skill.... let's just say I had to take it again.
I still have all of my notes and books!!! That was my hardest class ever... it was one of my first classes when I was really trying to get into the PT, program. I cried so many times.... There were 200 students in the class, it was the hardest class on campus. He would hang all of the grades up on the wall....
We had to dissect Kitties!!! Yuck.
I was lucky he really liked me and he was on my side. I hated but loved that class....
Nuerotransmitters, calcium-blockers, neuro-peptide chains.... I am going to have nightmares.... it was the Physiology that was the killer.... a year of Anatomy was fun....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks Heather. Already did that, didn't work. :sad-very:

I'm emailing my assignments. You won't believe how I got them. I had to have Nichole email them to me. :faint: I'm sure the instructor isn't going to be thrilled. But at this point I have no other option and the assignments are due by 11pm.

Hugs

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
totoro

I normal love anatomy. It's right up my alley. But that's after we get past the chemistry part and the cell part of it. lmao

I just sent husband out with a list of supplies Nichole and I'll need to do our lab experiement. He was less than pleased. Oh, well. I've been sick, and then all this nonsense on top of it, what does he expect? lol

It's the online program the college is using that is driving me insane.:furious: I just may need to be medicated to get thru the darn quarter!

I am sooooooo taking this with my fav professor next quarter.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Daisy -

I vote you just go get yourself a new computer - could it be a firewall issue?

If you are logging on under administrator and Nicole is logging on your computer as guest - have you tried lowering your web-surfing internet safety setting? Nicole may have hers set to low and yours to medication - high?

I really have no clue - but if the on line site lets her on the same computer it doesn't allow you on - maybe this is an answer?

I just dunno kid - sorry - no one should have to talk about body parts and be frustrated like this - hugs
Star

I loved how fast your icon was clubbing the computer - ROFL

Kathy813

Staff member
Lisa,

When I first started my online classes for my grad degree I had a lot of problems with Blackboard, too. It took awhile for my husband to figure out the problem was that our router was not set up to be compatible with the Bellsouth DSL that we were using.

I was able to submit assignments on our wired computers but not on my laptop that was wireless.

It was so frustrating to me! I feel your pain.

~Kathy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Kathy I'm greatly releaved it's not just me. And I admit my patience level is extremely low at the moment as I'm still fighting this flu virus. (I'd much rather be in bed than doing the online class) I'll have Travis check to make sure the router is fine. (since he set it up it should be ok)

Just tried going thru the Firefox browser. Nichole did it first using my name and password. It worked for her. (it always does, with either name) :clubbing: So she signs out and goes back in under her own name and password and submits her homework. She signed out and left with sister in law to go look at cars.

So I'm thinking all is good and open firefox. I go to sign into Blackboard using my name/password. Same old story. Trust me, the cuss words coming out of my mouth at that point would've embarrassed a sailor.

Furious, I just sit there. Now there HAD to be a logical, or illogical, reason it let Nichole on in my name without a hitch. And so I'm thinking what does Nichole do that I don't?

Then it hit me. When Nichole types anything into the computer be it a URL, password, ect she ALWAYS hits the ENTER key. Whereas I'll click the "log in" or such on the screen with the mouse.

I think to myself....It can't possibly be something so easy and stupid as that.

So I go back in and try to log on to Blackboard again. This time instead of clicking "log on" with the mouse, I hit the ENTER key on the keyboard.

Whoooosh! I'm IN.

D@mn. How utterly impossibly STUPID. :stopglass:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have to laugh because if I didn't I'd be bawling right now.

Oh, well. At least the problem is solved. My homework has been sent TWICE. lol And I just flunked the quiz. (yep, I'm a bit brain dead right now) Not worried about the quiz though, I'll ace the test.

Hugs

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm glad the problem is fixed!!!!!!! I hate computer problems. I came close to throwing ours at a wall today:smashcomputer::smashcomputer:

susiestar

Roll With It
Computer problems and the issues with sharing a computer are why husband bought a laptop for MY use only. He got tired of hearing me gripe.

Now I just have to go make sure he cleared his crud off the other computer so it will work for Jessie's school.

Susie

crazymama30

I have taken many online classes and love them, but have never been brave enough to try it online as my fav professor only teaches traditional classes. Good luck. I hope it all works out.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
i majored in art in college (*** was I thinking!!) and totally unrelated but when Istarted teaching (whole long story) I was yelled at by the administration as referring to it as a blackboard - it was a chalkboard!!!?? A&P is a great course - sorry you've been having so many problems!! just remember this - My computer beats me in chess - but I kick it's a** in kickboxing!!!
-Dara

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, somehow we managed to get everything that was due turned in on time. Nothing short of a miracle as there was a very involved lab to do too.

:hairy:

There are 4 tests to take on campus before the 8th of Feb. (does this lady think this is our ONLY class??) And I'm sure she'll have the next assignment posted tomorrow.

But I'm not done yet. I have a research paper to write for English, and a chemistry exam to study for.

And as if that isn't enough....... This post was interrupted by baby Aubrey projectile vomiting all over her bed, Nichole's bed, and the room. So she's off to the ER with Mom and Dad. I'm staying behind to get the clothes they were wearing and the bed linens washed.

Are we having fun yet??:bloodshot::badmood::crazy2::highvoltage:

F

flutterbee

Lisa -

You have GOT to be kidding me!!!! The ENTER key!! OMG. It should be the same function as clicking on Log In. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

I'm BAM'ing (b******* and moaning) and it wasn't even my issue! That is just so ridiculous! I'd be calling the help desk and asking them what genius caused this particular problem! :hammer:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather

Sadly it's very true.

Oh, yeah. Someone at the help desk is so getting read the riot act in the morning. :soapbox:

Seems whoever programmed/set up the log in page set the "log in" button on top of the "help desk" link.:rolleyes: So when I'd click the log in with the mouse, it kept taking me to the Help Desk screen. SHEESH