Brrrr....It's COLD!!!!

DammitJanet

This clipper that came through late yesterday and overnight is awful. Now I release we are warmer than some of you but holey moley! We actually had a fire in the fireplace yesterday evening. I left water dripping in my bathtub last night because the heat doesnt come back here as well as it does to the rest of the house. I think my ducts are clogged.

Even my dog isnt wanting to go out...lol. I let her out last night about midnight and she came back in sometime before one. She is smart enough to open the front door and come in when she is ready. Unfortunately she doesnt know how to shut the door behind her...lol.

I woke up because the blankets I had over me made me a tad bit warm...sitting up I feel the cold so I am going to hunker back down under them.

Stay warm everyone!

tiredmommy

We're at a -7F wind chill right now. Duckie is glad we have school because she doesn't want days tacked on at the end.

LittleDudesMom

Janet, it's cold here too. We are expected to reach a balmy 20 degrees with a nice fresh snow pack! I anticipated a snow day today so I brought home work and a laptop from work. I'm right here by the fire! Stay warm!

Sharon

We had a snowstorm here. School was changed to half a day yesterday so I left early as the snow began, and today we are off! I love a good snow day! I plan on staying in my pj's and watching movies all day. -75 below? Holy cow, I can't even imagine what that would be like. Can you even breathe out there? People have to go outside I'm sure, the bus stop must be torture for the kids.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Snow storm on monday night. Temp right now is 10 without windchill. Thankfully there is no wind. Last night we bottomed out at -3 I think.

In these temps the snow hurts Maggie's feet if she's out more than a couple of minutes. She has to be encouraged to HURRY so I can get her back inside. Rufus doesn't share the same problem although he doesn't dottle ether. lol

SuZir

We have been around from 10 F to -15 F couple weeks now and will continue next two weeks according the forecasts. That in itself is completely normal and not an issue (we take a stand that surviving the weather is only about dressing up right and our infrastructure is build to stand this kind, and colder, weather because we do get few weeks or couple months of this every year), but we are very short on snow. And when it is this cold, there will be no new snow. Not only I can't cross country ski and that is an annoyance on itself, but this cold without proper snow is extremely hard for all the plants and wild animals. I fear many (many more than normal) will not survive this winter.

svengandhi

Oh, Janet - don't say things like this. NC is a place I've been thinking about retiring to. I took today off from work because I am deathly afraid of snow and ice. The polar vortex cold we had a couple of weeks ago was ok because there was no snow. My criterion for winter retirement living is NO snow. I can take NYC the entire rest of the year but each winter gets worse and more depressing. Cold I can handle (better since menopause actually) but snow and ice frighten me more and more each year. Getting home yesterday was awful, I was in full panic mode. I took a picture of the stuff I call "white (expletives) of death" and tagged it - "Be-LEAVE -in NY!" It inspires me to work towards my retirement goals.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Feels like -1 here right now with wind chills (almost balmy), however, tonight into tomorrow we have a wind chill advisory and will probably have the same on Sunday night into Monday. I. am. so. ready. for. SUMMER!!!!

DammitJanet

Now do remember cold is relative as all the other posters are much colder than I am. We also dont get this bitter cold that often. Where I live we might have snow every few years and when we do get it, no one moves...lol. A flurry is enough to close everything. And its normally gone in a day or two. I always thought we were such wusses about the snow until I started paying closer attention to actual snowfall amounts in other places. The one really bad snowfall we have had here we got hit with 18 inches. That actually hung around about a week before everything melted. I thought we just werent handling it well but then I see that 18 inches pretty much is bad anywhere...lol.

We are about 32 right now but it will drop all afternoon and tonight, Thursday and early friday are supposed to be cold. I think our lowest is supposed to be about 15 degrees. We do have wind so the windchill is supposed to be down lower however I am not leaving my house in the night.

SuZir

Janet: It certainly is about what is normal to any area. As I said, our society doesn't have much problem with cold or even big snowfalls. We expect them and are prepared. We have army of snow blowers to keep roads clean, we have special ships to keep water routes ice free, every house has efficient heating systems and trible windows and draught lobbies to keep the cold out. And our cars have block heaters to make sure they will start at the morning (and our parking lots are full of electric outlets so we can use them) and everyone owns lots of warm winter clothes and shoes and so on. Winters are cold and snowy around here and with that we can easily deal with, but give us three weeks of 100 F and we are so in trouble you wouldn't believe it.

greenrene

It's "Florida cold" here - we dipped into the upper 30's last night, highs in the 50's. My kids have actually had to wear long pants to school a few times in the past couple of weeks.

Svenghandi, it never snows here, and it rarely dips below freezing. Our winters are glorious, highs mostly from the 60's-80's, and a few cold snaps like we're having now. I live on the Space Coast in FL.

svengandhi

Greenrene - My H is dead set against Florida for some reason that I don't know or understand. My plan is to sell our big house, downsize into our bungalow, which is paid off, buy a nice used RV and travel around checking out winter in various different areas and climates for a couple of years and then to settle permanently for winter into the place we like best. We are thinking NC, Tennessee, Arizona, New Mexico. No Midwest or England for me. My parents retired to Carson City, Nevada but it snows there. However, we are pretty much limited to NY as long as mother in law is alive so I probably won't retire until after she passes.

donna723

I live in Tennessee now but I think the coldest I have ever felt was when I lived in Florida! You're just not used to it there, houses aren't built for it, people don't have the proper clothes for it. We never had real "winter clothes", you just throw a coat or a jacket over the same clothes you wear year round. When it hits 40 there you're shivering. I think the coldest I have ever felt was one year when we visited my brother in New Smyrna Beach. He lived in a second floor apartment in a very old drafty building that was practically right on the beach. Great in the summer ... not so great in January! It got down to the high 30's and with that strong wind coming right off the beach, we were all turning blue!

BusynMember

I'm here in the Frozen Tundra and frozen it is! We had a high of about 3F today and will go below freezing tonight. Again. Wisconsin deals with snow really well because we are so used to it, and we have snow on the ground too, of course! :)

I know it's been a really cold winter here because I didn't feel that cold when I went outside today. I'm getting used to it...lol. Didn't even wear a hat and gloves, but did start up the car before getting in it.

KTMom91

The temps you ladies are describing just make me so cold! We've gotten down to 35 at night but it's been close to 70 during the day. We haven't had rain since the first week of December, and of course no snow in the mountains, and we're almost to the water rationing stage.

We could definitely use some of that snow and rain, but I'm really enjoying the comfortable temps. I have the house open this afternoon!

Kathy813

Staff member
I am jealous, pasajes4. I want some snow. Just a little bit that covers the ground and then melts the next day would be perfect. Preferably on a school day. :)

We're just cold here.

~Kathy

Wiped Out

Staff member
Greenrene-Had to chuckle about the long pants. I have one student who, even in this weather, comes in with shorts under his snow pants. He says I keep the classroom too warm-he also says at their house they keep the temps set at 60 in the winter except his mom will move it up and then they all complain-lol!

DammitJanet

I love snow. I love watching it snow and sipping hot chocolate...lol. Snow is the most wonderful thing to watch falling down and its so peaceful. I probably like it so much because its not falling on me for 3 months at a time!

Californiablonde

I wish we had snow here. Not for a whole entire season, but a few weeks of it would be nice. We are finally getting over a two week long heat wave. We have had the opposite problem. Dry, windy heat and multiple fires in our area. One fire in particular was dangerously close to the school I work at. Thankfully our fire department was able to contain it. Now it's dropping back down into the forties and night/early morning and I'm cold!