Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and ADHD on the IEP

Masta

My 3rd difficult child has A.D.H.D and is taking medications for that at home and at school.

My difficult child has an I.E.P because he is Learning Disability (LD) in written expression.

We just had our yearly I.E.P meeting and they have not documented anywhere that he has A.D.H.D. I was told today by the SD that his medications and the distribution of them (see other post on Prescription medications controlled substance in school) should be on the I.E.P

They have given difficult child adaptations for auditory figure ground problems (background noise) which are minimize distractions and extended time to hand in homework.

My difficult child had an Independent evaluation done in 5th grade which showed he was Learning Disability (LD) in written expression and has background noise issues. It was suggested by MY school district audiologist over 1yr ago to do noise desensitization, it was never done. They are ignoring my school districts findings because of the Independent evaluation, I had this done because I knew something was wrong with difficult child’s written expression. This year in the I.E.P renewal I asked for the noise desensitization and they said they would get back to me.... here is their email.

Masta,
I will schedule difficult child for noise desensitization therapy. I will see him for 15 min once a week for 6 weeks. After talking to some of his teachers, he appears to be doing well in his classes. We will work on focusing during increasing background noise. Thank you Mr. S.L.P.

My question are:

Does this noise desensitization therapy need written into the I.E.P? Should they test him after it is done to see if he needs any further therapy?
Should it documented that difficult child has A.D.H.D in his IEP?
Should it be documented that he has auditory figure ground problems in his I.E.P?

Thanks,

Masta

Sheila

[ QUOTE ]
Does this noise desensitization therapy need written into the I.E.P?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If it's not in the IEP, the sd doesn't have to do it. Then there are instances wherein there are personnel changes, etc. If a service is not in the IEP, how would new personnel know to provide the service?

[ QUOTE ]
Should they test him after it is done to see if he needs any further therapy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If progress is not monitored, how would one know if the selected therapy is working? When would one know when the service has accomplished it's purpose?

[ QUOTE ]
Should it documented that difficult child has A.D.H.D in his IEP?
Should it be documented that he has auditory figure ground problems in his I.E.P?

[/ QUOTE ]

in my opinion, yes. I see a lot of cases, however, where a student may be classified as OHI and that's all that's in the IEP. Educators not privy to the IEP meeting have not a clue of what's going on; rather they are to provide accommodations with no understanding of the root problem.

There are several ways that one could handle this. You can request that diagnosis be included on the IEP. If the request is not honored, immediately write to the school district with clarrafications stated and request the document be attached to the IEP. If it's not, send copy of said letter to each new teacher, sd provider (such as Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), Occupational Therapist (OT)), nurse, etc.

I'm going to push up a thread on US DOE's IDEA 2004 website. You might be able to find specifics there. Education agencies have been pretty much allowed to design their own IEP forms in the past and I believe that is still true, however, they now have minimum requirements. Of course, Addendas, Attachments, Exhibits can be added to any form....