Cold weather tips

goldenguru

Another post here in WC got me thinking.

What will your family do to survive the cold winter and high heating costs?? Hubby and I have agreed to dial the thermostat down to 60. It is cold - I'm not going to kid you. We have:

Put flannel sheets and a down comforter on the bed. It really is warm.

Put fleece throws on our chairs to wrap up in @ night.

Any other cold weather survival tips out there??

trinityroyal

Layering is HUGE. Allows your body heat to accumulate, and allows you to regulate your body temp by adding or removing layers as required. There's a bit of a science to it, believe it or not.

A "wicking" layer next to the skin, to draw moisture away from the body. Something like thinsulate or another miracle fabric designed for this purpose.

Next something like a long sleeved cotton shirt.

Then something woolly...a big warm sweater. Polar fleece works well for this part too.

Last...only if you're outside...something to prevent the wind from getting to you.

A hat...you lose something like 70 to 90% (can't remember the exact statistic) of your body heat through the top of your head.

Sometimes I wear a toque in the house, when I don't feel like turning up the thermostat. A toque, one of husband's giant sweaters over my regular clothes, and a pair of his giant socks over my regular socks. I'm snug as the proverbial bug.

Like Trinity, we also use layering to keep warm. I always wear a pair of socks to bed. It seems to help. When I'm finished using the oven, after it's shut off, I leave the door open for awhile - I don't know if this helps or not, but at least it's warm when standing near it. WFEN

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm wearing pajamas for the first time. Not a nightgown....warm cotton pjs! :D And socks. A must, and it's keeping me warm. We have flannel sheets, but it's not quite cold enough for them yet.......even though we have no heating duct in the bedroom. I like it cold when I sleep. lol

husband finally pulled the window unit air conditioner out of the window.....and bent the window frame doing it. grrrr Couldn't wait an hour or two for sister in law to come over and do it. Heat is down and layering is going on here too. When I bake, once done I leave the oven door open to cool letting all that nice warm heat to enter the house. Pretty soon will be breaking out the rolled up blankets to put at the bottom of the doors in the drafty areas of the house. :)