Corpus Christ TX??

BusynMember

I figure we will be with a variety of snowbirds from all over, including Canada. I cant imagine RVers being anything other than non conforming, and I fit that well. We are not moving to a house or permanantly staying in a town...we will be in campgrounds.

My main draw to people is not political creed, but a love of nature and animals. That love of animals in particular will bond me to the person far more than political views. And I plan on volunteering at any nearby rescues that need help so I expect it to be easy to make friends!

Most Wisconsinites where i live now do not probably share my political views. I change the subject if it comes up. My husband has never voted. Politics is not important to me in a friendship...it rarely is a topic that comes up. I wouldnt hang around anyone who talked about it much.

Last edited:

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
SWOT. I only have one story about Texas. Went to a medical conference once in Dallas. I was with a very metro sexual work colleague. The hotel in Dallas over booked and sent us to the Raddison on the outskirts of town with the promos of full transportation for the duration of our stay.

We got to the Raddison and thy had had a flood. On to the out out skirts of Dallas. The hotel was decent and clean but did advertise rooms by the week. There are a whole lot of pick up trucks and guns. My colleague never ventured out of his room only to mine and with me to the conference and back.

There was a dog barking insensately in the room next to mine. After the second night and no response from the door of the room. I made the mistake of saying something to the front desk staff about the dog and the concern that it may even be alone. And closed with I love dogs but if I had a gun I swear I would shoot the darn thing. A gun slid down the from desk towards me and a deep voice said you can borrow mine. With dread and a deep apology I explained I was only joking. The gentleman then said let me know what room it's in I will do it for you if your too squeamish.
:holymoly:

I have been to Austin, it was a much nicer visit.

pasajes4

Corpus is pretty liberal. I have lived in Texas a majority of my life. I am extremely not a republican and not into the whole gun packing, rebel flag waving way of life. I have never had any problems expressing my views.

BusynMember

And if anyone told me negativity about certain races, sexual orientations and anything else I dont agree with, I will certainly state my strong disagreement too. I am not afraid or particularly shy. Anything you can say, i can say louder...lol.

I really dont believe i cant find common ground with people almost anywhere. I am going to enjoy nature, wildlife, potlucks, boating, fishing (have to learn how first lol) and dog walks. I want to walk on the beach, visit rescues, relax, enjoy my husbsnds company. I would not be attracted to anyone too interested in ruining my good time with political talk. I no longer even watch the news. Talk about politics to me, even if I agree, and see me RUN!

pasajes4

My children are biracial. I have never had a problem with anyone ever saying anything to me. There are openly gay and biracial couples all over where I live and guess what they vacation at the coast. The cities are thrilled to get their money and most people make a living either directly or indirectly from the tourist industry.

I do not think that you will encounter any problems. You are not there to be part of a protest march or run for public office. The wildlife certianly doesn't give a whoop about any of that.

Littleboylost

Honest. We are going to be with people who RV in from places like Wisconsin lol. I look forward to going;)
That was my only story from Texas ....I am sure it is not typical. Just funny to share.
:rofl:

I have no doubt you will enjoy yourself and make new friends and have fun wherever you go dear SWOT.

pasajes4

Little, Dallas and points west of Dallas have a whole different flavor than the southern half. Their motto is "hang em' high ask questions later".

BusynMember

I dont expect any problems. At all. I actually dont want to go to California, where people tend to be more liberal, because I have heard from many who have lived or visited there that it is financially and academically stuck up. I dont know if that is true, but it turned me off to that state as a place to go in the summer.

We feel comfortable going to TX and expect to get on well there.

Littleboylost

Little, Dallas and points west of Dallas have a whole different flavor than the southern half. Their motto is "hang em' high ask questions later".
I think that must have been whew I was haha! It was also I dry county ...never new they existed. But you signed a paper and became some sort of member and you could get a drink.

Littleboylost

I dont expect any problems. At all. I actually dont want to go to California, where people tend to be more liberal, because I have heard from many who have lived or visited there that it is financially and academically stuck up. I dont know if that is true, but it turned me off to that state as a place to go in the summer.

We feel comfortable going to TX and expect to get on well there.
My Difficult Child God Parents live in Southern California. Yes is can be pretentious but then there are some spectacular places that are very warm and down to earth. Laguuna Beach, Mission Viajeau (?sp), seal Beach all fun and funky places.

susiestar

Roll With It
I think you will enjoy Corpus Christi. If your route takes you through OK, let me know and we can get together.

I went to college in Austin for a couple of years and had a good friend from Corpus. She was shocked by Austin winters. She had never seen snow before! Or weather that cold. She told stories of how nice the weather was and of spending time on the beach and of Christmas shopping in shorts.

For the most part, Texas is like anywhere else. The people are just a bit more, well, Texan. Some are liberal and some are conservative and some just don't care. I loved living in Austin and would move back if I could afford it, especially if I didn't have kids in school or parents to take care of. I don't like the Texas school system's way of handling special education. I just have not seen anything I liked or really respected of it. Not for lack of trying on the teachers' parts, don't get me wrong, just the district level determination to not accomodate if they can get away with it. Having both my parents and my husband's parents still alive in OK means that moving to Austin won't happen for quite some time. That is fine, I like where we live also.

As you drive down I 35 there will be some interesting towns. I cannot remember the name of one, but it is Czechoslovakian. There are big signs about the various places to stop in the town. The food was pretty good and it was interesting to see. It was one of the towns in TX that we used to pass as we drove down to Austin on our way to go back to school each year. There is also a place that sells fried pies in OK that is a good place to stop. Big signs on the highway. Been there for years and has never given me an upset stomach. I have a very sensitive digestive system, so if I say it is safe to eat there, I have been there multiple times and never had a problem.

Be sure you let me know when you are traveling, esp if you are coming through OK. I truly would LOVE to meet somewhere. I will drive to meet you pretty much anywhere in the state that I can. If you are driving through and this would be a good stopping point, I can set up a good campground around here. We have a beautiful lake outside of town that I know a lot of people stay at with RVs. Or you can probably set up at my parents without a problem. They are pet friendly and people friendly. This is a nice town for a stopover. But if you want to stop over in another town, or just meet for lunch or whatever, that is fine. I just would love to meet.

BusynMember

Susie, thank you. I am pretty dure we will hit OK! Would love to meet you!

I am positive there are nice people evrywhere and am not worried about politics. I admit i have heard enough negatives about, say, Mississippi to probably not want to camp there, but in general hub is my best friend...i am not looking to fit in, just enjoy. I have never fit in...lol. i am too different. So what...lol.

I also have the definite ability to stick up for my own views, although I am not looking to get involved in politics. I am not shy about shutting down offensive people.

pasajes4

Corpus is getting ready to be hit by a possible catagory 1 hurricane. In true Texas fashion every liquor store in a 100 mile radius has sold out

Mamacat

The Czechoslovakian town is West, Texas just north of Waco. Styop at Slovacek's for good sausage and kolache's. You will exit to your right as your heading south on IH 35. You might want to avoid Austin as traffic there is awful You can take some back roads starting in Waco that will get you to corpus.

TEXANS are friendly folks!

Mamacat

Once you get settled in corpus, you might consider a side trip to San Antonio. It's a beautiful city. Lots of history. The Alamo, Riverwalk are very nice. Beautiful old missions. There's a Mexican marketplace where you can shop without going to Mexico.