Dialectical Behavior Therapy

janebrain

I have some knowledge of it. It is the treatment of choice for someone with borderline personality disorder or borderline traits. It was used at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) my dtr attended and it was very beneficial for changing the way she thought--they called her type of thinking, "stinkin' thinkin".

The dialectical part of means that you accept the person right where they are right now while at the same time you are encouraging them to change.

I have found the methods to be helpful for myself as well--I realized that I tend to think and react from an emotional mindset rather than using my logical mindset.

I know I am not doing a good job of explaining what it is--sorry! It just tends to open up your mind to other ways of looking at something rather than your own "twisted" way.

For example, my dtr remembered something I had said years ago and built it into a huge mountain in her mind and used it as proof that I didn't care about her. Well, when she told me, I couldn't even remember saying it and it certainly was not dwelling in my own mind the way it was in hers. She tended to take everything people said and twist it in such a way as to prove that they didn't care about her. Other people's lives were all lived in relation to hers, as if they only existed in relation to her.

I am hoping someone else will come along and give you a real explanation! I am a total fan of it even if I can't explain it!
Jane

There was an exlanation of this in Time a few issues ago. It was in conjunction with their article on what works for Borderline. Compassion