difficult child 2 goes for sleep study tonight!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks WO. Unfortunately, I didn't NOT sleep well (again) because it was raining hard and on the other side of my room I could hear the rain pounding in either a gutter or on the roof. I mentioned it to the tech so they'd be sure to NOT put anyone there for a sleep study on a rainy night!

difficult child 2 said he felt more rested this morning, but he was still really tired. Of course, he went to bed about an hour later than usual for a school night and got up an hour earlier than usual. It will be interesting to see what his O2 levels were on Friday night compared to last night.

RD, I wonder about his tonsils as well. They are large (got them from me :) ). husband doesn't have his, yet had apnea anyway (though he's also about 50 pounds overweight, which doesn't help).

I figure we could give the machine a try before resorting to surgery. His brother difficult child 1 had tonsils and adenoids removed at age 4 and he does NOT snore, but he's also built differently than difficult child 2 and husband (who are more alike in physique).

Your husband is one of those "for the record books" people with his apnea! I'm glad the CPAP is helping him and that he listened to you to go have the study done in the first place!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
His pediatrician just got the report today from Friday's test and called me this afternoon with some concerns (he wasn't really consulted for this -- we have a PPO and don't require authorizations -- husband and I both felt it was worth pursuing). From what he was reading, he wasn't impressed and it didn't sound like there was any problem with difficult child 2's breathing and he didn't understand why the test was being done. But he also conceded that perhaps he wasn't understanding the report.

I said I'd be going tomorrow for the wrap up and that he'd likely get last night's test results by the end of the week. So if he doesn't call me by Friday, I'll call next week to find out if he got them.

So now I've got THIS doctor casting doubts on everything (I HATE when this happens).

Whatever. I just want to figure out how to help my kid sleep more normal hours and not be so tired all the time!

smallworld

Was he this tired before taking Seroquel?

I'm not doubting a physical problem, but . . . J was very sleepy on Seroquel until we added Wellbutrin about a month ago. It's made a world of difference.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
SW, he's always needed more sleep than anyone (besides husband). I think it's gotten worse on Seroquel, and it was really bad when he first started it, but I think it's improved now that his dose is higher and he's been on it more than 6 months.

How does the Wellbutrin work to counter the sedation for J?

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad you had the study done. Take the "it will fix the mood disorder and allergies and everything with a grain of salt". It is what I had to make husband do. It does help with his allergies because he puts distilled water in it and it keeps things moisturized up in his nose, but that is it.

I am glad you backed the doctor down. Though 15+ times is a lot to wake up. I hope the machine comes soon and that the pediatrician can figure out the reports or you can explain them to him. He just sounds unaware, as many docs are, in my opinion. Just like docs are the LAST person to ask nutritional advice from, they simply are not as aware as nutritionists.

Anyway, I hope you get better sleep tonight. I know the CPAP made a huge difference in my husband's energy.

LOOKING FOR SANITY

LIVING 1 DAY AT A TIME
Hi. I just thought i might mention that I had similiar trouble. Very tired and needed lots of sleep. Once I even fell asleep in my front yard in my car(lol). And i was diagnosis'ed with narcolpsy. I had to go in for a few sleep studies and then had to stay at the last one for most of the day. I am not sure if that maybe a valid suggestion in your case also. My dr told me it is when you fall into the dream state to quickly, it normally takes 1-1 1/2 hrs, but with narcolpsy you go almost immediately. So, your brain isnt getting the "downtime" it needs thus making you very fatigued all day long. Just a thought. Hope you are able to get it worked out soon.

TerryJ2

But he also conceded that perhaps he wasn't understanding the report.

HA!!!!

Hey, our pediatrician thought difficult child had Celiac's, and it turned out it was the old test. It took an expert to correctly interpret the results.
And then he blew it by saying difficult child can go ahead and eat wheat. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGG!

Good luck.