difficult child at er today

Jena

so we return from therapy, i make her lunch and than we got to leave for library. she walks outside and goes flying right outside front door.

go to e.r. because she's hysterical winds up she has a fracture that is on her growth plate on her wrist. ofcourse she does is what i say lol.

soo it doesn't come up on xray because fractures in wrist on growth plate do not come up on xray only by exam.

so dr said the clinical exam indicates this, and we have to head to an ortho guy. so they gave her a temporary cast till we get to ortho guy.

all i can say is whomever has the voodoo doll better toss it out lol.

i'm exhausted. since i literally woke up today it's difficult child land all the way. she refused to shower today so she smelled and had greasy dirty hair with dandruff all through it i put it in pony tail at doctor's appointment. ofcourse extremely depressed.

she's in bath now with garbage bag wrapped around arm and complaining entire time.

this is her 3rd break. if ppl diidn't know better they'd think i did beat her. 3 breaks since birth. one the entire arm and elbow dove out of crib as baby, 3 years ago wrist other one got scared from a bug fell off a slide and now this one.

we know the er's in long island only too well :)

H

HaoZi

Poor kid and poor you! Always something, isn't it? Hope she heals well and fast!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That hoovers.

My niece broke her arm TWICE in the same place within a year of eachother. First time happened when she fell off her bike. Second time was when she had her arm wedged under the bar at her dance class, lost her balance and... snap.

Sorry she is being such a difficult child on top of it all. :(

Jena

no doubt. i'm afraid of what tmrw will bring i truly am. each day is something. i move so fast my head doesn't have time to catch up to my feet. i'm going in a hot bubble bath with a strawberry margarita when she goes into bed.

than tmrw husband is staying with all our kids and i'm joining that gym. i gotta defuse somehow or i'mi going to break something soon.

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope it heals well. Glad they caught it - our ER wouldn't. They would give her benadryl and say she was fine until the bone poked out of her arm. They ahve actually DONE exactly that. I am not the only person who says all our ER does is give benadryl. Apparently it cures everything. Sort of like the Dad in that Big Fat greek Wedding though Windex cured everything except with benadryl.

Did they give her anything for the pain? That has to be miserable. I hope it doesn't drive you totally round the bend with her! Hugs to you both!

Jena

she isnt' in pain shes normally really good with actual real pain. all her breaks she rarely complained. shes just in a real bad way now so she's over the top just moaning and complaining just like her exhausted mom.

i am on the brink of the in home team, the new cbt guy, my therapy and our marriage counseling. i literally can't wait to get the ball rolling and have ppl in my house to do my mental work some of the time. you know how it is you can work all day physically and be tired yet mental exhaustion is just far beyond that of physical.

husband is like you wanna watch a movie tonight at 11 when he gets in? no way. no thanks. :)

svengandhi

The growth plate fractures are tough. My easy child 14 broke his ankle at the growth plate a week before his 13th birthday and wound up with surgery and a plate and screws. We had to cancel his paintball bar mitzvah and he still hasn't had it - maybe this year.

With the arm, at least she won't have to be in a wheelchair like he was all that summer. Our insurance paid a little extra for him to have a waterproof cast that he could sit on a shower bench with. Maybe you can get one for her arm.

One of the ER's on LI used to joke that it was naming a wing after us for all the fractures and stitches we've had. Fortunately, just about every incident occurred in public or the cops would've been on to us.

If she can tolerate it, give her Benadryl to help her sleep; my son needed it for the week between the injury and his surgery (it happened the Thursday before memorial day and then he didn't want surgery on his birthday, June 2) and then for a couple of nights after the operation. Thankfully, once his leg was initially splinted, he wasn't in too much pain. He needed the surgery to make sure the growth plate wasn't damaged. If an adult had sustained the same injury, it would have been just a sprain.

Jena

im so sorry that happened to him. glad he's ok. her first break years ago was worst. screws in arm etc. when she was year and a half. 5 hour surgery her entire arm was shattered. this one i dont' think will be that bad, she heals really well and super fast. all the time. she isn't in pain she's just being a difficult child right now. long day therapy than er so it's bound to leave her cranky. the thing is the break where it is like i said didn't show up on xray because of its' position yet hospitalis out here are good and they knew off the physical exam due to tenderness and swelling and bruising.

so off to ortho guy we go lol. best is ex h had a fit why didn't you call me when it happened? by the way he's like a big version of difficult child. i said why in the world would i call you when i'm dealing with-her? so i could umm crash my truck want to kill someone?? lol umm no thanks. i handle the emergency you get informed after its way to go and it works well for difficult child and i. i smile through it she doesn't get too crazy and we deal.

H

HaoZi

you know how it is you can work all day physically and be tired yet mental exhaustion is just far beyond that of physical.
I hear ya. So few people actually "get" that until they have to become a caretaker of their parent or spouse (unless they have difficult children!).

svengandhi

My oldest boy broke his left arm twice. First time at age 4 he fell off a jungle gym at the playground while with the baby sitter, who was pushing daughter on a swing. H took him to the ER in Queens where they wanted to yank his arm back in to place. NO THANK YOU! Signed him out AMA and went to Joint Diseases. 5 hours surgery, multiple pins, the x-rays showed 39 pieces. At 14, a garbage bag got caught in his rear bike spoke and he toppled over on to the same arm. He now has a permanent titanium plate and screws (thankfully, this ended his ability to join the military) and a slight loss in range of motion (non-dominant arm). That time, we went to NSUH. Unfortunately, he's never ridden a bicycle again. However, he did take the Bio regents two days after surgery and got an 82! His teacher had offered to pass him and have him take the test in August.

As for the break not showing up, I had to take my son for an MRI so they could actualize the injury - xrays weren't doing it even after a couple of days because the growth plate was hiding it.

Glad that your girl is not in pain and have to laugh about your ex. When easy child broke his ankle, he called home and said he hurt hs ankle in gym. H sent oldest boy to get him. easy child minimizes his pain so oldest boy decides they should go visit grandma and have her make them lunch. Grandma used to be a nurse so she takes one look at easy child's foot and tells OB to get him to the ER - she refuses to feed him in case they have to do surgery. Of course, OB stops at Taco Bell on the way over! Nobody bothers to call me at work so I have no clue what's going on until I get a text message with a picture of easy child in a hospital bed with his leg wrapped up! I think it's just a guy thing!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dude broke the head of his humerous by falling off a jungle gym - growth plate fracture. Had his arm in a sling. Poor thing I feel so bad for her. A lot of times if you can prop it UP and give her Ibupropin it will help. Up seems to take the pressure off of it?

WHAT MOVIE AT 11:00???????? SILENCE OF THE MOMS? Yeah - that one. zzzzzzzzzzzzz szzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hugs

Jena

omg that is way too funny. see if that were me i'd be thrilled getting a text after all's been handled it's be like yay for you guys!!! :) glad he's ok.

star silence of the mom's is correct! i may bite if he comes near me! lol

svengandhi

Jena -

Problem is it WASN'T really handled. I still had to take him the next day for the follow up to the ortho, then rush from Great Neck to Lake Success for the MRI on a Friday afternoon, argue with the insurance people and then schlep him and his films back to the HS so we could see daughter in a play that afternoon! After that, it was back to the ortho so they could look at the films.

I am waiting for Silence of the Moms. Actually, this thread inspired me to take some Benadryl and I'm drifting off now.