difficult child is back in jail....and God it is depressing

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Good morning HHE. I am so glad you are feeling better. This is a treacherous landscape we're on, and the moments we feel okay need to be acknowledged and cherished.

Your son sounds like a good kid. You mention in your signature that he is kind and compassionate which is how I read his letter to you. It sounds as if he wants to take the guilt he knows you are feeling off of you, so you understand it is HIS choice. Listen to him and do that for yourself and for him. It doesn't sound manipulative.

He's still pretty young so if you feel okay about doing what he is asking of you, if you feel no resentments about the requests, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Take really good care of yourself HHE. I have found in doing that, in really amping up my self care A LOT, it smooths this path out considerably. Make yourself the priority now, there is little you can do for him and he is even trying to convince you to take better care of yourself..........stop eating just sandwiches for meals!

Place him in the hands of your understanding of a Higher Power, do your best to let go and put your focus on YOU.........I will keep you in my prayers..............

Albatross

Hi HHE. I'm so glad you are feeling better. Like Echo said, I don't know your son and you would know manipulation better than any of us. To my read, it is not. He is taking responsibility, accepting the consequences, and thinking about the future. Those are all good things, adult things, to do. And I agree with the others, from what I read here he sounds like a good kid with a substance use issue. The only thing that struck me as manipulative was his signature line. You kinda knew he was your son, didn't need to be reminded of that...! Your not going to the hearing is a very impactful (is that a word?) statement to him. Is that where you want to be at this stage in your relationship? If it were me (and it's not) I would probably withdraw him from classes as he asked because it sounds like he's at least thinking about one day going back to college and I would want to encourage his keeping that option open. The lawyer, I'm kind of on the fence about. He is an adult, she is representing him (not you), and your involvement really isn't necessary for her to do her job. But as others said earlier, I guess that all depends. If she seemed incompetent or blase', I would probably want to be involved at least to the level of giving her the fish eye. If there was a long history of repeat offenses, your son was older, etc. my opinion would change.

Echo, that bit about him assuming that I will be in court didn't escape my mind either and I think his reasoning was based on what has happened before this latest episode. Anyway, the hearing might be rescheduled to another three weeks so I don't have to decide on that one for the time being.

Cedar, I am sorry you are still feeling the guilt of not doing more earlier with your difficult child but just like you have counseled us many times in this board, you did the best you knew how at the time. You, me and other moms in the board who are struggling with guilt have to keep on fighting to move beyond it. Also I like your idea of writing a letter to difficult child to shock him though I doubt anything would shock a difficult child. But eventually I will have to reply his letter and your suggestions are good.

Good morning HHE. I am so glad you are feeling better. This is a treacherous landscape we're on, and the moments we feel okay need to be acknowledged and cherished.

Your son sounds like a good kid. You mention in your signature that he is kind and compassionate which is how I read his letter to you. It sounds as if he wants to take the guilt he knows you are feeling off of you, so you understand it is HIS choice. Listen to him and do that for yourself and for him. It doesn't sound manipulative.

He's still pretty young so if you feel okay about doing what he is asking of you, if you feel no resentments about the requests, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Take really good care of yourself HHE. I have found in doing that, in really amping up my self care A LOT, it smooths this path out considerably. Make yourself the priority now, there is little you can do for him and he is even trying to convince you to take better care of yourself..........stop eating just sandwiches for meals!

Place him in the hands of your understanding of a Higher Power, do your best to let go and put your focus on YOU.........I will keep you in my prayers..............

Re, my difficult child does have a good heart and the fact that he has never been violent or extraordinarily rude is what has got me stuck at enabling. But the last few years has left me wounded just watching him destroy his life with drugs particularly pot. Anyway, I am really trying to put him in god's hand and focus on me and each day it is getting better so we shall see.

Hi HHE. I'm so glad you are feeling better. Like Echo said, I don't know your son and you would know manipulation better than any of us. To my read, it is not. He is taking responsibility, accepting the consequences, and thinking about the future. Those are all good things, adult things, to do. And I agree with the others, from what I read here he sounds like a good kid with a substance use issue. The only thing that struck me as manipulative was his signature line. You kinda knew he was your son, didn't need to be reminded of that...! Your not going to the hearing is a very impactful (is that a word?) statement to him. Is that where you want to be at this stage in your relationship? If it were me (and it's not) I would probably withdraw him from classes as he asked because it sounds like he's at least thinking about one day going back to college and I would want to encourage his keeping that option open. The lawyer, I'm kind of on the fence about. He is an adult, she is representing him (not you), and your involvement really isn't necessary for her to do her job. But as others said earlier, I guess that all depends. If she seemed incompetent or blase', I would probably want to be involved at least to the level of giving her the fish eye. If there was a long history of repeat offenses, your son was older, etc. my opinion would change.

Alba, thanks. I wish you were right about difficult child taking responsibility. Though it may look that way, I have heard it so many times that I would only believe it if he really put it in action. Unfortunately, he is going to learn the hard way but it is his choice so what can I do?

Childofmine

one day at a time
Hi Had, I am glad you are here and I understand---my son is 24.5 years old and we have been doing this for a little more than four years with him. He's been arrested, in jail multiple times, multiple rehabs, homeless, etc. All of his charges are drug-related. He doesn't believe he needs rehab or has a problem.

At first we hired lawyers and went to all of the hearings and visited him weekly in jail. As I changed, I realized how hard all of that was on me. Every time I did it all, I thought it was the last time, and he needed me so I needed to do it. Slowly we stopped. No lawyers, no money on the account (He once told us they use that in jail for barter while playing cards, so, the money I thought was going for deodorant and toothpaste and extra food, stationery/stamps actually went for something else a lot of the time).

This last time I didn't visit at all. The only times I have received a letter from him from jail were during the times I put no money on the account. Somehow he got paper, envelopes and stamps. I did write him two letters this last time. They were short and didn't explain why he needs to change, just talked about my boundaries. I always tell him I love him and I believe he can do whatever he decides to do. I have always said, you are the most persistent person on the planet, and that is a great quality.

Been there and done all of that, Had. Multiple times.

I'm not saying you don't have to/want to/need to walk the same path. And I hope the path is different and that your son gets it sooner rather than later.

I was scared to death for him being in jail at first. Over time, I have felt more relieved and at peace when he is in jail. I didn't get that at all the first time I heard somebody else say it.

Until this time. He has been out of jail for nearly three weeks, and I have set the toughest boundaries I have ever been able to set before. I am not allowing him to completely drive me nuts with what he wants and needs, all day every day.

Yesterday I saw him for about 10 minutes and when I left, I was really glad I had seen him. We had a decent conversation, for once in a long, long time. He looked good. He told me he is looking for a job and a place to live. His eyes were clear. We told each other we love each other. I hugged him. And I had a good day yesterday for the rest of the day.

Who would ever have thought any of this? I imagine you are thinking and feeling the same thing. What horror movie am I waking up in? It can get better, Had, regardless of what your son decides to do.

One thing that our difficult child's have in common is that they lack the ability to persevere.

Yes. This is a common trait. As you said in your post, your son was doing so much better in many ways, church, job, school. All of those behaviors are so hopeful and promising. But as long as he is using drugs, it can't continue. That is the sad part. And if he doesn't want to quit using drugs, all of the good steps are still good, but not sustainable.

To persevere on the good path, he has to first have the desire to quit, and then find and use the tools to keep quitting every single day for the rest of his life. What tools? For most in recovery, it is the toolbox of 12 steps.

And we're no different. If we want a good life, a peaceful life filled with good thoughts and good days, we have to do something different too.

We can do better---going to work, smiling, enjoying our lives somewhat, being productive. But as long as we are still enabling, it can't continue. That is the sad part. We are hitching our happiness to what someone else decides to do. We don't own our own lives anymore---somebody else does. And if we don't want to quit enabling, all of the good steps are still good, but not sustainable.

It's the same thing. And we can't stop without first having the desire to quit, then find and use the tools to keep quitting every single day for the rest of our lives. Whatever those tools are that work for us.

I do think detachment with love is the only possible path to sanity for parents of drug-addicted adults. Otherwise, there are two insane people---me and my difficult child---not just one.

I can't make him sane---been there and done that---but I can work to make myself sane.

And maybe, just maybe, that focus on myself will create some time and space and chance for him to do something different.

I don't know the magic formula, Had. I wish I did. The pain that comes with all of this is indescribable and can only be endured one day at at time.

One of my good friends lost her son in December to a combination of drugs/alcohol. She didn't even know he was using drugs. He was functioning pretty well and hadn't gone down a really bad path like my son has. Perhaps he was not addicted. I don't know. She doesn't know. I have watched her grieve. Yesterday I saw new lines in her face. She smiles, but it is forced. She is slowly trying to return to her daily life before this happened. My heart breaks for her.

I struggle with what to do, Had. It is so hard to know. But my friend couldn't save her son. He made choices. I can't save my son. He is making choices.

You can only do what you feel is right, every single day. I know you are struggling with that, and you are listening to lots of people, and I believe that is good.

I hope you can find some peace and hope every day in your life even while all of this is happening. There are many tools to help you find that place. It's a daily walk. We only have this day. What will we do with it?

Peace and blessings and strength wished for you today.

Albatross

I wish you were right about difficult child taking responsibility. Though it may look that way, I have heard it so many times that I would only believe it if he really put it in action. Unfortunately, he is going to learn the hard way but it is his choice so what can I do?
Exactly. You can't. He will learn when he's ready to, and no one else can "make" him ready. But it sounds like he is at least taking responsibility for what happened, not trying to blame it on a parole officer out to get him or somebody "making" him or whatever. So at least there is that, some accountability. It's a start, to hopefully lead to the conclusion that HE controls the damage by quitting. My difficult child is 21. The day he turned legal drinking age he was in rehab for alcohol. I do see how hard it must be, to be that young and realize that you can't just *have a drink* or smoke a little pot or whatever most 20-somethings do without having your world crash in. I'm sure most or all of us here have some great and funny stories about dumb things we did when we were in our early 20s and had a buzz on. Fortunately we came through it okay. That's not true for our difficult children. Acknowledging addiction is hard, and having to do so when you're so young and don't know your hind end from a hole in the ground anyway...I'm not making excuses, just saying it must be a very difficult thing to confront. Anyway, I'm kinda rambling. Sending you peaceful thoughts today.

And COM, I was so happy to read about your visit with your difficult child yesterday!

BusynMember

Accountability and remorse and seeing that the person who did wrong was he himself...well, that's huge. My daughter who got better never once blamed us for her drug use. She wasn't like that. She would meltdown and blame herself. And she would give hugs and not threaten to cut us out of her life. She never raised a hand to any of us in the family. She hurt herself, not others because she had a strong conscience. And she did it!!!!!

36 has always had a rather selfish heart with limited empahty, which is what holds him back. He has never made a wrong move in his life. Even saying he would take a gun and come up here and kill me was MY fault for agitating him and making him say it.And, yes, he has threatened me with physical force in my presence and has actually put his hands on his dad, but, of course, it was our faults. And he has never really changed because he can not see that he controls himself. He thinks everyone else "makes" him do things so how can he get better when the world is out to get him? Your difficult child does not sound like that sort of mentality.

I think your difficult child with the good heart has an excellent change of recovery. He is a good kid at heart, he loves you, he probably really wants to do the right thing and you just need to wait for him to decide he's ready to do it. I certainly have high hopes for him, although do not expect it right away, but...do keep your hopes high and, meanwhile, continue to try to live a good life for yourself while he works out his kinks. Encourage his loving nature, even when he messes up. We did this with my daughter. We fought a lot, but we said how much we loved one another a lot and it got through to her, just like I think it will get through to your difficult child. Some young adults go through bad phases and, because they do care, they straighten out. Keep The Faith :)

Last edited: