difficult child On His Way To Inpatient Again

Transparent

No, it's not acute. The one he went to before had a max of 14 days and they were discharged. No one stayed longer than 2 weeks. The first trip there he stayed 5 days and then 7. It's also affiliated and attached to the general hospital. The one he's at now is a private/separate facility and the kids will stay there until they're ready to go home. From what they told us on admission, I don't think they have a set amount of days min or max. Our insurance is supposed to cover 80-100%, but we'll see.

klmno

Wow!! I'd take advantage of that if I were you- make sure you're comfortable that things are on the right path before bringing him home- although that is hard when it's over the holidays. Especially when they are young. I wonder if they'd let you check him out for a day pass? Would you have a problem getting him to go back in?

If not, maybe you can have a separate celebration when he comes home. I know- that wouldn't really be the same...

Transparent

We thought about a pass but he's been in 3 times including Thanksgiving and I think taking him out and then going back again might be too much for him. It's something we're keeping on the back burner though - we'll just have to feel difficult child out and see what he thinks as it gets closer. If his behavior doesn't improve between now and then though I don't even think we'll mention it. :(

klmno

I might have forgotten all I've read about your situation- forgive me if I have- but if he's been on an AD and he's having major behavior issues, I wonder why they haven't considered a mood stabilizer. My son started with depression shortly before his 11th b-day. Then he started having behavior issues that escalated into erratic behavior. They put him on prozac for a year. Then, after another erratic period, they stopped the prozac and eventually started him on mood stabilizers.

Anyway, I've been trying to identify triggers and think I have seen a couple- or at least it's very coincidental. But one very coincidental thing is that he seems to have a major growth spurt during or right after a "bad" period. Another, is that it seems to always occur in allergy season. Of course, these vary a lot from person to person and your son might not even have a serious mood disorder- it could be something else. I just mention it because I've had psychiatrists and tdocs say that boys particularly can start showing signs of mood disorders when the hormones kick in.

PS If he's having trouble with behavior right now, I don't blame you for not mentioning coming home for Christmas. It hurts, but we have to make parental decisions first.

Transparent

I might have forgotten all I've read about your situation- forgive me if I have- but if he's been on an AD and he's having major behavior issues, I wonder why they haven't considered a mood stabilizer.

It's ok! I have a hard time remembering everything about my own kid, much less anyone else's. Thank God for whoever mentioned keeping a journal on these difficult children. I'd be LOST without mine!

He just got put on an AD when he was diagnosis'd with depression back around Thanksgiving. So, he wasn't really on it long enough to be on something else already. The psychiatrist may put him on one before he's discharged from this new psychiatric hospital though. I'm cautiously impressed with this new place.

His behavior has been sporadic over the last 3-4 years. He'd show signs here and there that something was wrong and he'd be difficult for a week or so and then he'd be great for months. Just recently his behavior has become a daily nightmare. It's like he exploded and kept re-detonating over and over and over. Know what I mean?? He just started to spiral a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and he hasn't stopped yet.

Thanks for the insight on the hormones and growth spurts. I'll definitely make note of that and look for it next time he has a rough go of things.

F

flutterbee

I've struggled with depression for most of my life - starting at around 11 or so, with major episodes happening frequently starting around 13. In addition, my son was diagnosis'd with severe depression at the age of 10. He's a neurotypical kid now with some anxiety here and there. I ran into his therapist a couple of years after we stopped seeing him and he asked if Devon had ever been diagnosis'd with bipolar. I never knew he was suspecting it. I never saw bipolar signs and haven't since. All of that anger, aggression and hostility was from depression. It's very common in kids with depression.

I read depression in your son from what you have posted. Of course, I'm not a doctor. I've just walked many miles down that particular road. That emptiness you saw in his eyes - it sent shivers down my spine. I saw that in my son, too. It's devastating to see your child in so much pain and to be so helpless against it.

I'm kind of drained right now and not feeling up to sharing my story publicly again, but feel free to PM me and I will share with you. I can tell you that with both myself and my son, I totally understand what your difficult child is doing and saying and feeling. It's overwhelming for the patient.