difficult child pulling hair ?

shellyd67

husband and difficult child went for their monthly haircut last week.

My cousin owns a hair salon and difficult child has been getting his hair cut for several years by one of her stylists.

When difficult child and husband came home from their appointment I noticed difficult child had two bald spots on his head. One in the back and one up top.

The following day I told my cousin and she said she is not sure what happened that the clippers must have malfuntioned.

difficult child keep his hair buzzed with a little spike in the very front.

This morning my cousin informs me that her stylist said she did give him one bald spot because he flinched but the other spot looked as though difficult child was pulling out his own hair.

I am VERY close with my cousin and I am also VERY good friends with her stylist.

My cousin can be a drama queen but I don't think they would make this up to avoid balding difficult child twice.

However, I have never seen a bald spot before (neither have they) and difficult child keeps his hair so short I don't see how we wouldn't notice this.

I have never seen difficult child picking at his hair.

This is troubling me so much.

Anyone have this issue with their difficult child ?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Shelly--

My difficult child pulls out her hair. You would certainly notice all-over thinning plus bald patches here and there.

Sounds to me like maybe a major mess-up with the clippers!

InsaneCdn

If your difficult child's hair is as short as my mental image of it is... there is NO way he's pulling it.
Hair is actually hard to grab onto unless its long enough to wrap around your finger.

shellyd67

I was just explaining the story to my parents and they both said the only way difficult child is pulling out his hair is with tweezers because it is buzzed short as can be.

It is possible but I doubt it ...

InsaneCdn

And most difficult child hair-pulling is NOT with tweezers.

Often its a nervous thing... especially with LONG hair... grab onto a single strand and twirl it around your finger until... oops! Oh, well. But do it often enough, and you get a bald spot.

SO... more likely a hair-cutting oops.

shellyd67

I am going to take a closer look at it when he gets home from school. I will act as if I am looking for lice or something ... I hope I don't jinx myself by saying that !!!

InsaneCdn

DON'T look.
If it is a problem... the other kids will be letting him know, and he'll come home mad, upset, or...
He might actually like looking like a geek.

You'll have plenty of chances to observe without "looking".
Besides, the real answer will show up in a week or so... when hair gets noticably longer.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Tip:

If it's hair-pulling, you will see all kinds of broken-off ends, plus evidence of new hair coming in...

MUCH different than a clipper accident.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Tip:

If it's hair-pulling, you will see all kinds of broken-off ends, plus evidence of new hair coming in...

MUCH different than a clipper accident.

This is true. Just keep an eye on that bald spot - if it's growing in without any attention, then it's likely just a clipper accident.

However, if you notice other thinning spots, then you may have a problem.

When I was a teen, my mom took me to the dermatologist because she thought my hair was falling out (she noticed bald spot on top of my head). The Dr said, very clearly, bluntly in fact, "Your daughter's hair is not falling out, it appears to be pulled out, as it is BROKEN off at the root" - waaaaay embarrassing for me, but apparently worse for my mother, boy did I catch hell.

If it's trichotillomania, this would be the typical age it would begin, so keep both eyes wide open. You can check the floor next to his bed to see if there are hairs, check his trash can, his pillow, etc.

DDD

I agree with the others who say ignore it, don't look, don't ask. The chances are very very slim that it is hair pulling and even if it turns out to be that (it will be obviously eventually) there's no "cure" for the problem that is quick. Based on your signature he is doing well. I wouldn't make waves of any kind and would try to enjoy every minute of normalcy. DDD