Dinner from leftovers..what should I add?

DDD

I bought thighs instead of breasts by mistake. We don't like dark meat, sigh. I've cooked them, sliced up the lean meat and added it to white rice and pea combo that is left over. Anybody have a suggestion on what to heck to add for dinner when I get home? I was wondering if one of the cream cheese blends might give it some flavor? Anyone? DDD

trinityroyal

Thinly sliced onions, carrots, celery and broccoli florets, cooked in a bit of olive oil. If you like spicy dishes, add chili peppers, or ground ginger or garlic (or all of the above, or whatever other spices you have on hand). Mix all together with the chicken, white rice and peas. Add a splash of soy sauce. If you have any chicken stock on hand, add about 1/2 cup.

It's a bit like chicken fried rice from a Chinese restaurant, but with a slightly different flavour.

S

Signorina

I would sauté a little onion in butter until nice & soft but not brown, add some chicken broth and white wine and add the chicken, rice & peas, until warmed thru and stir in about a 1/2 cup of Parmesan.

I make Risotto this way all the time & it's really good. Traditionally, it has saffron too- but I never add it bc I don't have it on hand.

S

Signorina

Trinity-the recipe is on the pkg of Vigo Risotto and it can be done in the microwave too! I skip the saffron (too $$) and always stir in peas. Leftover chicken, ham or pork wb great too

Ingredients
6 cups chicken broth
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1⁄2 small onion, finely minced
1 1⁄2 cups Arborio Rice
1⁄4 tsp. toasted Saffron
Sea Salt, to taste
1⁄4 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Preparation

In a saucepan, keep broth simmering to just below boiling. In a separate heavy bottomed saucepan, heat butter and olive oil, add onion, and saute

keista

Cream of chicken or mushroom soup - cheaper (and probably lower in fat and calories) than the cream cheese blends.

DDD

Thanks for the suggestions...I even have saffron, lol.

Funny thing happened on Foodnetworks America's worst cooks. This lady was getting her plate ready to present to the judges and said to herself "this needs some color"...SO...she grabbed saffron and put a big pile on top of her three portions. Bobby Flay quietly said "do you know what this is?" She, of course, said "No"
and he laughed and responded "this isn't a decoration it costs about a hundred bucks".

DDD

trinityroyal

Trinity-the recipe is on the pkg of Vigo Risotto and it can be done in the microwave too! I skip the saffron (too $$) and always stir in peas. Leftover chicken, ham or pork wb great too

I will have to check it out. We can't always get the same products up here in the Great White North, but I'm sure I can find something similar. And if it's microwaveable, even better. Thanks!

DDD

OK, here's what I did. I made a pkg of country gravy, added saffron, chicken stock and pepper...then poured it over the chicken/rice/peas mixture. husband and difficult child thought it was awesome. Truth be told, lol, it was not awesome but it sure was edible. LOL! Thanks as always. DDD