Discharge and possible new diagnosis

MommaK

So the daughter was discharged from partial inpatient therapy yesterday after 15 weeks of 3 to 5 days a week of therapy. She did make some progress tho its hard for me to see her making as much progress as they say. They also added a possiblediagnosis of 2 personality disorders on top of a definite diagnosis of bipolar type 1. I have come to the realization that my daughter will never live what most consider a normal productive life. She will fight her bipolar and personality disorder traits from now on, and they will make life hard for her and everyone around her. I want to cry. As a parent we have so many hopes and dreams for our kids. It hurts to face the reality that they may not be able to live anything remotely similar to what we expected for them when they were little.

ksm

I am sorry. Giving up our expectations, hope and dreams for our children is like grieving a death...different, but those parts of our dreams are gone and we have to accept a different reality.

Hard to do. My daughter is 18 now. Her bio mom was diagnosed bipolar. My daughter has been diagnosed as DMDD, anxiety and depression. I would not be surprised if she isn't BiPolar (BP)...but professionals here don't seem to want to give BiPolar (BP) as a diagnosis.

I wish I had advice...but I don't. Maybe get help for you and your family.

KSM

BusynMember

Bipolar, if the diagnosis is right, is treatable and people with mood disorders can go to college and work, marry and have a normal life if they are medication compliant. I have a serious mood disorder that I haven't felt for decades due to good medications, compliance and therapy when needed.

It is like diabetes. If you don't take your insulin you can be in big trouble. If you eat well and watch your sugar levels, you can work, have a family, live a good life.

Your daughters choices determine her quality of life. She can do what everyone else does.

The personality disorder, if that diagnosis is true, can be a bigger problem if it is antisocial, narcissistic, histrionic or borderline. But she can get therapy for that if she really wants to change and is willing to work very hard to learn coping skills. Dialect behavior therapy is the gold star for borderline.

Do remember that psychiatry is not an exact science. There are no ways to verify if the diagnostitian is correct or not. It's an opinion, sonetimes very right and sometimes wrong. No blood tests exist to test for accuracy. Use your mom gut.

Last edited:

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Your right...we do grieve the dreams WE had...but now you can only guide her to be healthy so she can map out her life.

It's hard..frustrating and sometimes scary.

Hugs

MommaK

She fits everything about histrionic and has majority of the traits for antisocial as well. She seems to truly see nothing wrong with the things she does or says. Those 2 personality disorders coupled with bipolar worry me for her future. Seeing those things tho, makes everything we have experienced with her make sense. I know she could lead a full productive life with work, however she at this time is not in the mindset to put in genuine work. She faked sick well enough yesterday she could stay home this weekend only to be caught sneaking out or rather back in this morning. She does look like she got high last night. Testing her now is pointless because she would still test positive from getting high 2 weeks ago when she failed her last drug test.

So sorry. This is heartbreaking. I am pretty much right where you are. My son is inpatient psychiatric right now. Trying medications. He will never be normal. Antisocial personality disorder due to frontal lobe brain damage. Low IQ. Pedophile, so he can't really go anywhere unsupervised. He is 18 and didn't finish high school. Started hearing voices. We just admitted him yesterday.
The loss of the dream we have for our children to have somewhat normal, happy lives....it's too much to handle sometimes. Hugs to you.

ksm

I am so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going thru.

I hope there is someplace safe for him.

Ksm

Triedntrue

So sorry. This is heartbreaking. I am pretty much right where you are. My son is inpatient psychiatric right now. Trying medications. He will never be normal. Antisocial personality disorder due to frontal lobe brain damage. Low IQ. Pedophile, so he can't really go anywhere unsupervised. He is 18 and didn't finish high school. Started hearing voices. We just admitted him yesterday.
The loss of the dream we have for our children to have somewhat normal, happy lives....it's too much to handle sometimes. Hugs to you.
I am so sorry for your troubles my son has similar diagnosis and won't accept help. I sympathise and wish you peace.