"Don't Take the Girl" (song title)

Andy

This reminds me of the song "Don't Take the Girl".

I am working on setting up difficult child's B-day party - a party at a college baseball game one hour away. difficult child wants to invite 4 boys. The party package is for up to 10 people so I figure each boy can bring one parent.

I need another parent to drive - thus comes the end of the world problem for difficult child - Yes, I do completely understand but to get everyone there this has to happen. One friend's mom said she would love to drive and will bring her daughter who has a free ticket from school. Daughter is 7 or 8 years old. I don't have ANY problems with this at all. I am very much "The more the merrier" type of person however, difficult child is asking that she does not sit with the birthday party. She is going to be welcomed with the group. Period. It would not be fair for mom and son to come without daughter.

I have reserved two rows of five seats (there are available seats around it for the girl to tack onto - I need to also see if husband wants to come so I will possibly need a few extra seats).

difficult child is going to be so wrapped up in the party that he will not even notice the girl sitting with the chaperones! The more the merrier - anyone who wants to come can come! I am going to enjoy having her there! :)

Last edited:

Christy

difficult child is going to be so wrapped up in the party that he will not even notice the girl sitting with the chaperones!

This is a good way to put it to him, she'll be with the grown-ups not the boys. I can undersatnd him not wanting her at his party but as you said, you can't expect the parent to drive and not bring her.

Hope it goes well.
Christy

susiestar

Roll With It
He will adapt. You are quite right that it would not be fair to take the girl, in my opinion. I have many times offered to help chaperone parties and taken the other kids with me because no other choice. I have always done "the more the merrier" at our parties. Since it is done at ALL the parties most of my kids friends don't have any problems with it.

Heck, we just scheduled Wizard's birthday party - the day the new harry potter film comes out. Gpa is babysitting the younger kids, Wiz will actually let husband and I attend with him (OOOOOh - he is a real teen - embarrassed to death by husband and I, LOL!!). He keeps adding friends, and some of their siblings!! He says it just wouldn't be fair not to invite the younger sibs of some of his friends. Mostly because that is how we have always done it.

So if it is just the usual way to do things, he will adjust easier when he is older.

The song does explain kids and life pretty well, doesn't it?

F

flutterbee

Ok. I'll admit it. I'm a rock fan, but there was a period in my life (when I lived in Georgia) where I listened to Country. Totally missed the Grunge period of rock. And I love that song, too.

It's a good experience for difficult child, too. He'll have a great time.