easy child/difficult child 3 has red bumps on face ~ not pimples spreading. Doctor???

bby31288

easy child/difficult child 3 has red bumps on her face that are not pimples and are spreading pretty rapidly. Started on Saturday with a group by her eyebrow, has spread to basically one side of her face. Haven't changed laundry detergent, face cream, face wash, make-up, so I don't think its from something like that. Not itchy, don't seem to be anywhere else. All pets are treated with frontline for fleas.

She is home today from school because it looks bad and she is self conscious. Do I need to bring her to the Dr? What do you guys think? Or should I just continue to treat with Benadryl? I'm not sure what to do. She can't miss school forever!!!

Mattsmom277

Hmmm, if they are spreading I would take her in to get checked out. easy child has had a few bacterial skin infections that acted that way, although of course it could be a ton of things, doesn't sound like anything scary though. Bottom line though a school will likely not keep her in class with a spready rash without a doctors note saying it isn't contagious and what it is anyhow. So it is probably better for that reason too, to get it checked out. Benadryl is a good plan. Washing with anti bacterial soap. Of course just in case, she should have a fresh towel and face cloth each time she washes and not share with anyone else.
difficult child also had something similar with a heat thing a little while back. I'm glad your easy child isn't itchy, that rules out the liklihood of several things.

Lothlorien

Take her to the dermatologist. I would also check around her room for the dreaded bedbugs or even spiders. I got bit by a spider in the middle of the night a few weeks ago and my whole face/neck and arms were swollen.

Bedbugs are rampant in our area, as I'm sure you've heard. Kids are picking them up at school and in movie theaters. It's insane.

slsh

member since 1999
I agree with- getting her into a dr. Could just be allergies, but... spreading rashes make me nervous.

Hope it clears up soon!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm all for a dermatologist.

There has been a rash of bedbug outbreaks recently. There is also allergies - to WHO KNOWS WHAT - and that's the fun part - shampoo, laundry detergent - hair spray, gel, perfume. Food - the list is endless - ragweed is in full bloom.

You can check (google) rosacea too. I have it - and it's little bumps all over - I take antibiotics for it and have to watch my triggers, and a lot of face products and soap, shampoos.

bby31288

Well I brought her to the Doctor. They were not sure what it is, put her on an antibiotic Doxycycline (sp). They did say to check into her Birth Control pills which she just started taking this month. She hasn't finished the first month yet. So it could be an acne breakout from the influx of hormones. I'm glad I took her. Made me feel a bit better.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well hopefully it's nothing serious, but I'm glad you got her check by the doctor. Spreading rashes.....are really not the type to ignore. Could be far too many things to cause them.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Doxycycline is what I take for Rosacea.....I think it's the facial cure-all. She should see improvements in 3 days - if not? I'm more inclined to say it's laundry detergent, (pillowcase or blankets), shampoo or conditioner/hairspray or gel, perfume - or a food allergy. Maybe a new soap in the shower?

Also - where you are? Is it falling leaf time? A LOT of kids are allergic to leaf mold. Leaves lay on the ground, it rains - you go out to rake them and they are wet, moldy/mildew - and kids have reactions to this - or someone mulches them and kids have reactions. just thinking out loud.

Oh Oh........Dove for Sensitive skin - white bottle green cap ------dermatologist recommended by my guy for face only - That and some other stuff from QVC - Signature Club A - Honey and Almond Cleanser - it's the bomb! Never has irritated my face once.

Glad you took her - let us know how she's doing!

Oh wanted to add - NEVER give bedadryl with a face rash. I can't remember why. I just remember my dermatologist saying NEVER take Benadryl.