extended custody

Discussion in 'Parent Emeritus' started by Steely, Oct 26, 2008.

  1. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    someone posted about this question awhile back, and i have the answer.

    if you need to extend your parental jurisdiction when your child is mentally ill and over 18, you can do it by filing extended custody. you need a lawyer and a dr to sign an affadavit that your child is mentally ill. you can do it within an emergency period and have it done in mere hours, or you can keep re-filing for years.

    this keeps our kids from going to jail or a state hospital, but rather get the medical help we decide necessary as their advocate.

    i have just had to do this with matt.
  2. Andy

    Andy Active Member

    That is good news for you and Matt. I hope things are getting better for both of you!
  3. witzend

    witzend Well-Known Member

    Thanks, Steely. How is Matt doing?
  4. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    Hope Matt is doing better! Many hugs to you.
  5. katya02

    katya02 Solace

    Thanks, Steely. I hope Matt is doing better. How are you doing?
  6. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    Well, let's just say matthew and i are hanging in there..........but we are 2000 miles away, and both equally as traumatized by all that is going on. he just keeps getting transferred to one program to the next............and i think we are both ready to give up. unfortunately that is all i can say for now, because i kinda need to stay in denial at this point. i had to fly home yesterday to go back to work ~ and leave him in the psychiatric unit. it felt like a scene out of sophie's choice. i only wish i had hope............because even that is now eluding me.
  7. WhymeMom?

    WhymeMom? No real answers to life..

    You can do this, but if your child fights it and/or has periods of lucidity it can be more difficult. It also means you could be held responsible for any "acts" the child does..... causes damage etc. Not saying it shouldn't be done, just find out the pros and cons before you take this action.......
  8. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    It is usually recommended on a 90 emergency basis - not long term - and it does take the child's consent - however you are not held liable as a parent for any thing the child does once they are 18 regardless of being their legal guardian.