first phone call from school

house of cards

Well, I got my first phone call from school this year from Major's new resource room Language Arts teacher. Major has done poorly on a spelling test and "forgets" to bring home homework, ect. She asked me for his background and I explained how he does learn but won't show it on tests or homework, I explained I have holes in my walls over homework meltdowns and how I don't care about the homework or grades as long as he is in school and learning. She seemed very understanding and said she would lower her expectations and that the homework wasn't worth it, she would just encourage him to do it. I LOVE this woman.

Andy

That is great! I hate hw - never know when the kid is suppose to do it. I hear "get it done as soon as you get home from school". I just can not buy into that - I know how I feel after a long day at work, the last thing I would want to do is to sit down and start where I left off. difficult child needs wind down time. Then a few nights we have other activities 4:30 - 5:30 trumpet one night and 5:00 - 6:00 tutoring for two nights (not counting travel time to and from). Then, I make difficult child start bed time routine at 7:00. Gotta eat in there somewhere.

I think once it is too dark or cold to be outside this winter, it will be easier. Right now I want difficult child to be able to be outside as much as possible in this awesome fall weather. Fresh air and exercise are such good destressers for kids. Fortunately he hasn't had much for hw and we have only had one meltdown night.

So, even with a kid who doesn't have many hw meltdowns home work issues are big these days. And when a kid does fight every second, then you do know very little if any learning is getting done, it is just a power struggle to do it. Melt downs are not worth it. I wish hw could be eliminated.

It is wonderful to have a teacher who understands real life after school hour issues. I hope your year continues to go well.

TerryJ2

Neat, Kathie. Unusual that there's someone out there who accepts it at face value over one phone call. Way To Go!!!

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I love it when teachers call to be proactive/supportive verses the dreaded chronic complaining I had endured for years.

house of cards

Yes, I am hopeful with her. I also told her that I had given the school 2 books. "The Bipolar Child" and "The Explosive Child", she actually sounded interested and asked me to repeat the titles.