Frustrated_Folks!

tiredmommy

Traci,
I'm copying and pasting your response to the other thread here so that other members have a chance to give you a proper greeting:
[ QUOTE ]
Sound a lot like what our oldest (4) son was doing. Our youngest (2) who is a major copycat was beginnig to show the same behavoirs. Toys dumped and smashed everywhere and tanturms, tantrums, tantrums. He was resently diagnoised with ODD and some autistic tendencies. But, before the diagnoises my husband who watches a lot of Dr. Phil, thought that it might be a good idea if we took all of his toys away. So that's what we did. Everything that even resembled a toy we put away. (We let him keep his books because we figured he needed something to do.) We told him that after one week he could begin to earn toys back one at a time, if he could show us that he could have "good" days. We explained to him what a good day ment to us and then we stuck with the plan. It was really hard. It got worse before it got better, but we started to see improvement after we stuck to our guns and showed him that Dad, babysitter, pre-school and I were on a unified front.

When it comes to a diagnois for your son. See if there is a Help me Grow program or something of the sort in your county. You can call them and they will come out a evaulate him for free. If they have any concerns they will refer you to county pre-school director and they can evaluate your child for free too. This has helped Lane out a lot. He now attends a specail needs pre-school and we have seen vast improvement in his attitude and behavoir since starting there.
Best wishes and hang in there. I firmly believe that God dishes out what he think each of us can handle. I just wish he didn't have so much faith in me. <grin>
I'll be praying for you.
Traci

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forum! :warrior:

BTDT

"I firmly believe that God dishes out what he think each of us can handle. I just wish he didn't have so much faith in me."

This really gets to me. Thank you Traci for that.

Yes, with ODD, reward is absolutely essential, to teach that all good things are earned.

Other things can really help too. Things that don't seem like they'd help at all.

Welcome