Fun Question! Best Dessert In Every State!

susiestar

Roll With It
This Article has a best dessert for each state. It lists the dessert and the restaurant.

The Best Dessert in Every State

If you have tried the one listed for your state, how was it? Is there a dessert you think is better? Why?

If you have not tried the dessert listed, or the restaurant listed, what dessert would you suggest from your state? If you don't want to do your own state, but want to do another state, that is perfectly fine. If you are in another country, list your favorite dessert and where you think is the best place to get it!

I live in OK. The dessert is the Drunken Turtle Pie at Pie Junkie in Oklahoma City. I don't spend a lot of time in Oklahoma City, so I have not tried this. It is a baked fudge pie with chopped pecans in it, topped with a salted bourbon caramel. I think it sounds amazing. I may have to look this up the next time I am in OKC.

The other state I have spent a lot of time in is Ohio. Their dessert is the Honey Vinegar Pie at O Pie O in Cincinnati. I don't think this place was in business when I was last in Cinci. It is a custard pie but the vinegar in the custard cuts a little of the sweetness, to keep it from being too sweet. It sounds good.

I just think O Pie O would have a LONG way to go to beat the BonBonerie for best dessert. Their Opera Cream Cake and Tuxedo Cake are both absolutely to kill for!! So many of their items are amazing!

BusynMember

Wisconsin has a lot I like about it, but food isn't it's forte. GN, do you know if we even have a specialty dessert?

The only foods I know of that are Wisconsin are brats and cheese, neither a dessert.

AppleCori

I can definitely vouch for the Pie Shake at the Hamburg Inn #2 in Iowa City, Iowa.

The presidential candidates usually go there while stumping, and the place is an icon.

I have had a version of Connecticut’s Walrus Pie at a restaurant chain that my daughter’s ex-fiancé owns. Most of us in the group didn’t care for it (bacon chocolate chip pie) but my youngest daughter liked it. She is always up for trying new things.

I didn’t go through The whole list, because you have to move to a new page for each state, so I don’t know if I have been to any of the other restaurants.

I will be interested to here from others.

Apple

Lil

Without reading the article, I'm going to guess Missouri is Gooey Butter Cake. After all, it was invented here. Now to read and see if I was right. :)

Lil

It won't let me see them all! After the I's it skips to some kind of drinks. :( So...what's Missouri. My second guess would be Ted Drewes Frozen Custard.

KTMom91

Never had the California dessert. I'm not a fan of Los Angeles, so we hardly ever go there. San Francisco all the way!

susiestar

Roll With It
Some of these restaurants seem like they are either "foodie" type places or very trendy types of places. I would have thought that for a "Best in State" it should be more established, but who knows how they pick them. I know in Ohio there are so many different foods in different regions. Cincinnati is very German in origin, and many neighborhoods have their own neighborhood bakery, each with their own specialty dessert. It can be hard to pick the best, because of course your own neighborhood has your loyalty. Then there are some really upscale places, and then the trendy places that come in and make a big splash and then go away in a few years.

Oh, and if ice cream counts, who can forget Graeter's in Cinci? Seriously, there isn't any better ice cream anywhere!

So what is best in your eyes?

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
So let’s kick in Canada here. Nanaimo Bars. From Nanaimo BC. Not my favourite but Canadian.

In Ontario we have Strawberry socials in early summer Strawberry Short Cake and in late summer we have the peaches peach cobbler. Mmmmm

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Wisconsin has a lot I like about it, but food isn't it's forte. GN, do you know if we even have a specialty dessert?

The only foods I know of that are Wisconsin are brats and cheese, neither a dessert.

I would have to say frozen custards, but I think Kopp's is better than Leon's. Culver's, though it's the only real sit-down restaurant amongst the custard purveyors, runs a very poor third. We also have our share of truck stop/diner type places that do pretty good pies. I'm not a big dessert eater, and coming from Chicago, tend to go for European bakery stuff, that reinforced by several years in Germany and Europe. I'm also a big cheesecake fan, preferring the "New York style" as made in Jewish Style restaurants (very rich, but less sweet and more tart). I don't like fruit or chocolate on cheesecake.I like it plain.

BusynMember

Yeah. I don't have much dessert either. If you ever lived in Chicago, Wisconsin doesn't have really good food. I even know of a custard place in Crystal Lake IL that is better than any custard I had in Wisconsin. It is family owned. Yum!

susiestar

Roll With It
Oklahoma has some interesting food, both dessert and non. Fried pies are a big thing in some parts here. As you drive down I35 between Texas and OK, there are billboards for a fried pie place right off the interstate. They are quite good, especially when fresh. Though I think the chocolate is better when cold, but I don't like warm chocolate pudding. There are other fried pie places also. One of them makes great fruit pies with whatever fruit is in season.

The Pie Junky place listed in that article is not a fried pie place. It is regular pies. We didn't make it there because J's appointment took almost 3 hours. We do have a German/European style bakery in Tulsa. They have a couple of locations, which makes me very happy! I can get my fix no matter what side of town I am on. They are not quite as good as what I grew up with, but they are close.

OKC has a couple of great bakeries also. Both offer lunch and one even has dinners you can take home and even a meat market (expensive!!!) that is very fancy and very busy.

If you didn't here you might not expect it, but the food scene here is very hot. I think it is partly because of the mix of cultures and partly because so much food is grown and raised here. We have all kinds of livestock, too. Not just buffalo, beef, pork, chicken and lamb. We have all sorts of exotic livestock.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When I lived up North, we had farms raising red deer that sold venison at local grocery stores. I bought it a couple of times, but since I had neighbors keeping me in whitetail venison, I usually ate that.

Now, with Chronic Wasting Disease having made it into WI, and the likelihood of it being capable of transmission to humans, I'm very leery of eating whitetail, since most hunters don't know how to clean a deer to prevent any brain, lymphatic, or spinal cord tissue getting mixed in the meat, and many are too lazy to have their carcasses tested.

Testing involves removing two lymph nodes from under the jaw and doesn't ruin the meat in any way. However, it does damage the "cape" for those who want to do a head/neck mount.