Fun thread: Share the good stuff in our lives? Fun things we plan to do?

New Leaf

Oooooh Pigless good idea. We have a feral chicken problem. Dang little bulldozers dug up my marigolds and et my lettuce. Nothing worse than planting up a garden over the weekend then coming home to mayhem on a Monday after work.

Electric fence= fried chicken. Hah!

KTMom91

I am spending tomorrow morning with my favorite fourth graders, and tomorrow afternoon returning to The Black Hole (aka Miss KT's old room) to discover more hidden treasures. I've found six prom dresses that have been donated to The Cinderella Project, and have a second box packed for the district clothes closet, where families who need them can go and get clothes. I also have three bags in the trunk for Goodwill.

The long term goal is for her room to be my library. Hubby has put random odds and ends in there because "no one's using it anyway." It's like a treasure hunt on a giant scale, but the sending of pictures and asking, "Did you want this?" and waiting for her response slows me down a bit.

New Leaf

For some reason, I found this MUCH funnier than I should have.:rofl: Feral Chickens. LOL

Don't think an electric fence is going to work. Chickens do fly...at least high enough to avoid electrocution. LOL
I know right? They roost in the trees. If someone wakes in the middle of the night and turns on the light dang roosters start domino crowing. Chickens multiply faster then mosquitos in a swamp, we can't get our neighbors to stop feeding them..,.....

New Leaf

Jabber so funny, yes we have cooked them and tried to eat them, problem is these are athletic muscle toned tough frickin chickens........even stewing them doesn't work......so son will have to ramp it up with his bb gun (oh god, sorry animal lovers, don't send me hate mail).
We raised broilers and my friend showed son how to "process" them. Now that is a good eating chicken. Those things grow exponentially fatter every day, they are eating, drinking, pooping machines and barely moved except to stay nearest the water and feed. They grew to 10 pounds in eight weeks and looked like small turkeys when dressed.YUMMY.........

Hey! Lightbulb!.......maybe I should set some broilers loose and let um interbreed with the athletic feral chickens, that ought to slow them down some.........hehhehheh

New Leaf

Have you tried a pressure cooker? That's how my mom used to cook most of her chickens and they would come out falling off the bone and ready to put into dumplings, casseroles. etc...
Good idea, we do have a pressure cooker. As I type there is a rooster symphony going on out there.........watch out feral chickens here we come........dig up my marigolds and eat my lettuce. The war is on.........

InsaneCdn

problem is these are athletic muscle toned tough frickin chickens........even stewing them doesn't work
Most of us don't know "slow cooking" any more, and I'm not talking about a modern so-called "slow cooker".

My grandma used to put stuff on before breakfast on the farm, in a "very slow oven" (back before thermometers... wood stove... but likely around 225 or 250 F), and cook with moist heat "around the clock", adding more moisture as necessary (but only checked it at meal time... no time for peeking!). She could make anything tender.

I think "slow cooking" is 8 hours or less.

Lil

Slow cooking to me is a crock-pot. I can't imagine a tough bird out of a crock-pot. Jabber's right though, you only have to kill the roosters. Hens may keep laying, but that flock isn't going to get any bigger if there's no men-folk. Not to mention the predators will be happy to get the unprotected lady chickens.

New Leaf

Not from the ferals, but I have come across some ancient exploding foul odiferous, stink bomb eggs while hacking away at our jungle. There is no smell on earth like it. Repugnant. The dogs, of course think it is marvelous.........

New Leaf

I do however, have my five girls who are penned during the day and free range a bit in the afternoon. They give us 5 eggs daily. Yum, yum.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I have come across some ancient exploding foul odiferous, stink bomb eggs while hacking away at our jungle. There is no smell on earth like it. Repugnant. The dogs, of course think it is marvelous.........

Oh My!!! I can't even imagine how bad that would be. That almost sounds like those Chinese eggs that they bury.

agriculture-chickens-egg-barn_animal-laying_eggs-egg_hatching-daln395_low.jpg