Good Morning/Afternoon/night Whats for Dinner at your house?

SuZir

Good Afternoon!

We are having sailor's stew today. Very good dish for this time of the year. Unfortunately this is not good time of a year for salads (many veggies, especially lettuce is shipped from thousands miles away to us and it is pricey and doesn't taste too good after the trip) so I think we are again stuck with grated cabbage-carrot-pineapple mix. And lingonberry mash, that just always have to be there with sailor's stew.

Calamity Jane

SuZr,
What is Sailor's Stew? Is it like what we call clam chowder? What is lingonberry mash - is it like cranberry sauce?? :didimiss:

I'm making chicken cutlets "ritz" - It's thin chicken cutlets, dipped in flour, beaten egg, then a mix of ritz cracker crumbs and parmesan cheese, then sauteed in a mixture of olive oil and butter. Served with salad and probably mashed potatoes tonight.

SuZir

Sailor's stew is slowly oven cooked beef and potato, with onion. Cooked traditionally in beer. Here is a recipe: http://www.freestylecookery.com/2012/01/recipe-sailors-stew-recept-sjomansgryta.html

Lingonberries (other name is cowberry I think) are rather similar to cranberries. Red, little bit smaller, taste is similar, but they grow in forest when cranberries grow at marsh. Lingonberries are awesome in that way, that when you just mash them and keep the mash coldish place (about 40 F) they don't get bad for a long time. You can of course make jam or sauce out of them, but just mash works also very well with food (even though it is not sweet at all) and also with for example natural yoghurt and it is very, very healthy.

Last edited:

InsaneCdn

Chicken doesn't come on sale until tomorrow... so I'm hoping it does NOT warm up this afternoon (supposed to stay about -15C) so that I can arm-twist difficult child into making tacos.

TerryJ2

Where's the "like" button? !

We had crock pot chicken and veg soup last night, Oriental stir fry the night before (it was supposed to be Chinese but I used sesame oil and it ended up a bit Japanese).

Leftovers for difficult child tonight and sushi bar tonight for husband and me. :)

TerryJ2

P.S. difficult child is so good at trying new foods, compared to his friends. He even drank an entire cup of green tea with-the Oriental dinner I made. His girlfriend ate all the chicken, ignored the veggies, and had him get her a Coke. :(
He wants to do hibachi chicken and sushi for his birthday in 2 wks. I guess she'll eat the chicken and leave the rest ...