Good morning, friends

pigless in VA

We used to do a morning thread which seems to have disappeared. Let's see if we can revive the tradition. Tell me what is happening in your world apart from any difficult children issues.

Spring has sprung in Virginia. The birds are singing their little heads off. SO says that bluebirds have made a nest in the bluebird box at the farm. My tulips have finished blooming and now the azaleas are popping. It seems rather dry, though and I wish it would rain. We have a ton of pollen, and people are sneezing and coughing. Rozzy rolls in it.

Candy went to a talent show at her school with her friends last night. I had some time alone to garden, because Ferb was at work. I love being in the garden.

I'm glad today is Friday, because the school kids have been all manner of cray cray this week.

BusynMember

Pigless, wow. I remember! Thanks for this. It sounds lovely in Virginia and am glad you got your garden going. Cant wait for more birds to take a chance and come out in Wisconsin. I did see my first cardinal of the year here.

Returned from a lovely weekend in still chilly Chicago. My granddaughter was delightful. She is starting to outgrow her screaming as language blossoms. We didnt go anywhere because it was still cold, but we didnt have to. Now I am back and possibly got a job again. I hope, I hope.

Jumper got a job where she goes to school. She also signed a lease for the apartment she is going to share this year with her friend and her boyfriend. She starts her Criminal Justice program this year (her third). There is no more summer break for her. It is year round. Guess hubby and I will be driving the hour or so to see her a lot. Ill miss how she drops by now. But am very proud.

Wishing every one a great day. What have you been up to?

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Mornin' folks. Woke up strangling. Luckily I realized it was just Thomas attempting to sleep ON my face.

Chucked him off the bed, but by then I was awake and just got up.

The new "Super Lounger" scratcher arrived today. It is a compressed cardboard (big) thing for the cats to scratch and flop on.

The box was trashed, but the scratcher was only cosmetically damaged. I'm keeping it as Squeaky CHEWS on scratchers as well as scratching them.

I have to have them, despite them being bloody expensive, because without them, Squeaky goes after the furniture.

Beautiful day today. 50 degrees and sunny. Saw my first robin out the patio sliders.

I'd open the sliders if it weren't for the fact that Squeaky climbs screens, and Thomas, while otherwise fairly bright, has pounced into the glass several times. He'd go right through the screens.

Other than that, not much going on today. Hope all of you have a good day.

Lil

Good Morning! It's still technically morning. :) I don't usually post over here in General Parenting - hope it's okay if I pop in!

I'm at work as usual, but it's Friday and Payday! So there's that.

It's definitely Spring here, all the spring flowers and trees are in bloom and yes, pollen everywhere. But best of all, the Morel Mushrooms are out. We went looking on our new property last weekend and found a grand total of 2. Hopefully Jabber and I will find some tomorrow if we get up early and go tomorrow. It's actually been a little too dry around here. Next weekend ought to be better.
morelsinwoods.jpg

It's a big deal around here. In fact, next weekend there is a Morel and Microbrew Festival in a neighboring town!

Ummmmm. Fungi.

That's the best part of our new property - I'm pretty excited to find 'shrooms - I have a book of all the different ones in Missouri - and in the summer there will be blackberries and raspberries.

Our new cabinets are in! We need to get them to the house then it'll be time to varnish, varnish, varnish! One step closer to remodeling. I can't wait to get my new kitchen. We've decided to keep the house and remodel...did I mention that before?

But for now, I better get to work!

InsaneCdn

Good Morning! It's still technically morning. :) I don't usually post over here in General Parenting - hope it's okay if I pop in!
Good point, Lil.

Maybe "good morning" belongs in the WaterCooler? Just wondering out loud here...

ksm

Morning in Kansas... Today was the second day this week that I went to a yoga class. I am finally old enough to use the senior center! LOL this is probably nicer than most, as a wealthy older man who passed left it in his will, so it is all privately funded. Also started a class for learning excel spreadsheets there. Going to sign up for a manicure, and a consult with an attorney...yes, all free.

It is a lovely building. The man who passed was an actor, and did quite a few films. He was not a well known name around town, and didn't really talk about his time in Hollywood. If you saw him on the street, you would assume he was homeless! But one time, they did a nespaper article on him, and he used to share an apartment with Marilyn Monroe, they attended acting school together. Quite the colorful character! I think his last major motion picture was One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

KSM

ksm

I just googled the actor I mentioned in my post, and it said he left over $20 million estate with no living relatives... KSM

AppleCori

Well, hubby came home a while ago and said that its too nice a day to work so we are going camping!

Beautiful day, perfect weekend, not many bugs out yet.

We are taking the boat and catching fish for supper.

Apple

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Good afternoon from Chicago! It's going to be 70 here today and all weekend! So excited to not have to wear a coat this weekend!

Tulips slowly blooming. "Something" cut my first bloomed tulip stem in half but the tulip was laying next to it. So mad. Rabbit? Squirrel? I wait all YEAR and then the varmints do it to be mean I think!

Grilling out tonight. Doing some yard work this weekend.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

Last edited:

AppleCori

Our new cabinets are in! We need to get them to the house then it'll be time to varnish, varnish, varnish! One step closer to remodeling. I can't wait to get my new kitchen. We've decided to keep the house and remodel...did I mention that before?

But for now, I better get to work![/QUOTE]

OK Lil, you've been holding out on us.

Kitchen renovation!

Details, details. We want the details!

Lil

OK Lil, you've been holding out on us.

Kitchen renovation!

Details, details. We want the details!

LOL! I have been holding out! I get so wrapped up in "that young man" I forget to mention other things. :)

So...our dishwasher died. It's a 1970's house and I'm pretty sure the dishwasher was original. (If you think that's impossible - the HVAC we replaced in the spring 2015 was original!) One day after I'm totally sick of washing dishes by hand, Jabber and I make a quick trip to Menard's to check out the prices of new dishwashers. Just...checking prices...trying to find the cheapest deal.

I need to digress a minute - you see, we also have the world's tiniest stove. In our rather large kitchen, we have a 27" drop-in Spacesaver Range. The oven is less than 3 cubic feet. Jabber and I are constantly burning ourselves taking stuff out of the oven. It's also getting a bit wonky - runs about 25 degrees too cold. We hate it. We've hated it for 15 years. But you see, replacing it with the same size horrible electric stove is like $1,200!!! Crazy! We planned from the beginning to cut the cabinets down and put in a regular 30" stove. Well, there's a question as to whether it can be done at all because of the way the cabinets are constructed, but the estimate to cut them down have run to about $1,500.00.

So...back to Menard's. We go into the store and, as we're want to do, we start looking at these big, beautiful, gas ranges. 5.2 cubic foot oven, big iron burner grates and a griddle, even a bottom broiler...and we say, sadly, "We'd have to tear out and replace the cabinets and we can't afford it." :(

But wait! The salesman points out that the cabinets are not sooooo expensive! After all, if we do the installation ourselves and use stock cabinets - it can be quite affordable. Our quick trip turns into a few hours of planning and number crunching.

And, long story not too short, in the end we have purchased not only a very affordable, on-sale, gas range, but a whole kitchen of unfinished cabinets (better quality and $1,000.00 cheaper than the next cheapest "stock" cabinets). We have a friend who's licensed to run gas lines who'll do that for free and another who will help us rip out the old cabinets for the very nice heavy oak they are made of - and he may reuse them if they can come out in one piece. All in all, we're not spending that much more than if we'd had them "fixed" to fit the big stove and painted them. Of course, we're not going to be moving now for a few years.

Oh yes, and we also got a cheap dishwasher. :p

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
OK Lil am totally JEALOUS. My house was built in 1961. If you were in the guest bathroom, you would think it was designed for little people. Sitting in the tub, and filling it up, you would only have enough space to partially cover your rear end, and your knees would be up - forget about any kind of stretching. But you go into the kitchen, cabinets are hanging from the ceiling. To reach any higher than the first shelf, you need a small ladder type stool. We don't even have really a full wall anywhere - kitchen, dining room or living room. Whoever thought that making a 4 1/2 wall and leaving an opening was a creative idea :(

But it is quiet in the Mac house today. Jamie has left on his annual pilgrimage to Coachella for the next two weekends. He has been going since he first got his drivers licence with some classmates from grade school. Having a girls day out tomorrow to go to the Renaissance Fair. I get free tickets since he is the photographer for the guild he belongs to :) Danny is working on a website for a local radio station so he has been out more than he has been in.

Lil

But you go into the kitchen, cabinets are hanging from the ceiling. To reach any higher than the first shelf, you need a small ladder type stool.

Oh we spent HOURS trying to figure out how to put our cabinets to the ceiling! We wanted them that way...currently there is a soffit over them. Of course, the bottom would have been regular height - we'd have just had shallow 12" ones on top. In the end, we decided not to mess with ripping out the soffit.

Of course Jabber and I are both close to the 6' mark...if anything, I can reach higher than he can. (Longer arms.)

Having a girls day out tomorrow to go to the Renaissance Fair. I get free tickets since he is the photographer for the guild he belongs to :)

I should be chit-chatting with you! Jabber and I used to go to he KC and St. Louis Renfaires a lot and then we helped put on our towns little renfair for several years until it ended. We're both medieval enthusiasts - used to do SCA and plan to get back to it - but renfairs are such fun! Have a great time!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Yeah Lil, he keeps bugging me to dress up, but my girls haven't seen that much daylight in years :p I start sweating as soon as I see the women dressed up in all those skirts, long sleeves and brocade - I don't know how they can make it through the day with the heat. Am just fine in my jeans and Tshirt. We have only been to one in Arizona - am sure he will weasle his way to KC and St Louis someday.

Scent of Cedar *

I am coming in at the end of the day on the Morning Thread. Tomorrow, I will watch for it so I can post in the morning.

Thank you, pigless.

:O)

Cedar

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I was active in the SCA in the 70s (if my parents only knew what went on at post-revels)

husband's persona was a bard. Mine was a Kazakh horse archer (I had the bow skills and my horse that I trained for mounted archery), so I basically cross-dressed. Only time my "girls" got exposed was if we were skinny dipping at a waterfront campsite, or if I had a "malfunction" with the breastguard I wore when shooting.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks for reviving the morning thread!!! I used to love the morning thread!! I probably won't be able to participate often because now I am getting up at 4:30 to make it to bootcamp by 5:30 in the morning (it's across town). Had a great day today! Started with bootcamp and then we actually had a nice teacher professional development meeting (for those of you who are teachers, you know how rare that is:hammer: )