Had my disability appointment

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Hm. That seems odd.

They will base their decision on your paperwork and 15 minutes?

Very strange.

DammitJanet

If Im not mistaken this was just the psychiatric appointment. This wont be the only appointment I dont think.

Depending on which appointment this was, there could be many more.

If this was the psychiatric appointment, 15 to 20 minutes is about normal. He isnt going to do a full neuro exam. They do a mini-mental health exam.

Im pretty sure he asked you basic questions such as what year it is, president, count back from 100 by 7's, draw a clock from memory, remember 4 words, etc.

I have been given that test so many times it isnt funny. I should always qualify myself before it is given.

He probably asked you a few questions such as if you have ever been treated for a mental illness before...when, why, where. What your complaints where now. How did you get to your appointment today.

He has already read your records, he is checking your current status and seeing your affect today. He will base his report on what he thinks he sees.

Now...they will probably look into the other areas you listed and decide if they think you need to see any more of their doctors as well. You may have to see one of they cardiologists or one of their rheumys.

After that, they may call you in to speak to you in the SS office if they feel the need. Or not.

witzend

They also should have an awful lot of documents from other doctors in front of them that they will want to verify actually apply to you. It's more of a "Is this the person who is in the files, and do they have the ailment that they are claiming to have" type thing.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My doctor did the paperwork for my disability. I personally did the personal parts. I was questioned by both a vocational expert and a therapist when I went before the judge (via link). It was the testimony of those that clinched the deal.

If you are going for disabilty it is common for them to deny you the first two times and force the case to a hearing.

DammitJanet

Aint it though...sigh.

I actually dont remember if the vocational expert even got to speak at my hearing. I believe she was there but the judge was reading through my records and suddenly got very still...turned off the mic...and did a side bar with the attorneys. He asked my attorney if we would be willing to amend my date to March 03. My attorney glanced at me and said yes. He said then I was approved because SS's docs had notated in my file that I should have been approved at that time but they had dropped the ball and denied me anyway. He was furious.

Star*

call 911........call 911
They made Dude put broken pictures of hammers, fish and boats together. I sat there and looked at them and couldn't figure out for the life of me what they were. Had no cognitive ability whatsoever. Dude looked at the pieces and said "Hammer, Fish, Boat." and I was still like...."Oh...that's an eyeball....." I think I should get disability. His psychiatric test lasted one hour and was very much like Janet described.

flutterby

Fly away!
He told me I was lucky; that most people he sees for SSDI are there for about 3 hours, but they only wanted him to "interview" me.

He asked me why I was filing, asked if I drove myself there, asked who lives in the house, asked me to repeat numbers back to him, then another set to repeat backwards (do this in neuropsychologist testing), asked me to remember 3 words, and he asked about my depression.

That's it. Or the gist of it. I'm probably leaving something out.

svengandhi

When my late father in law went for disability about 30 years ago, he had a documented history of heart disease. The doctor examined him for about 3 minutes, then said " I am denying your disability application. Now, as soon as you leave here, you must go directly to the hospital. I believe you are having a heart attack!" True story! He got the DB on appeal.

My mom worked as a secretary. She developed cataracts and glaucoma and couldn't work. She went for SSD. The doctor examined her and said her heart was fine. She was there because her EYES didn't work but they never sent her to an eye doctor.

Both of the above were won on appeal.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. The people we see in my neck of the woods just somehow don't seem that bad. My friend got disability just on her medical records and her doctor's say so.......his office filed all the paperwork for her. Did the same for her husband and both of them sailed right thru no sweat the first time around. I recall it being a very fast process too. BFF applied for her youngest son (like I said, he's Travis all over again) did it all online, went for the interview and it was granted no sweat. And then of course you have the lady who called us and said to get Travis' ball rolling as she sees no reason for them to deny him....... Nice people, all of them. Except the A holes at the reception desk.

That counting backward thing.......no way could I do it. I have to think hard to count backward by ones. And the remembering the word thing......iffy at best. School is different because it has meaning and is in text. Just random words or numbers.......nope. Probably won't stay in my brain more than a few seconds at best. As for the puzzles Star mentioned........hahahaha no way. I've always stunk at puzzles and mazes.

DammitJanet

Here a doctor can advise you that you might want to apply for disability but they wont just do it for you. Unless maybe you are in the hospital after a car wreck...maybe then.

With something like I have, where I had been working and it got too much and we all decided I just couldnt handle it anymore, well I quit and had to go on the disability train. It literally took years to fight it out. Literally! I quit in 01. Waited a year or so hoping I could go back if I got some treatment under my belt and destressed while taking care of my mom...hahaha. Applied in late 02. Denied once. Let it go...applied again in late 04. Finally got my hearing in May 07.

Was approved back to March 03 because when they denied me the very first time, the doctors they had sent me to had said to approve me.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I also got backpay because it was determined that I was disabled at the point where I became unable to work. My biggie right now is getting an acct to figure out how to do amended returns for previous years so I don't get clobbered on the back pay.