HELP im at my wits end, my child has OD (and other

sharonlyne

Please if any one out there has some suggestions in helping me to deal with my son , he had adhd od Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and bi polar.
His OD is gettin worse by the day , im at my wits end i just want to give up . Does anyone have any suggestions to help me
to deal with his behaviours

Sign
Losing my mind
[email protected]
sharron

mstang67chic

Going Green
Sorry you had to find us but welcome aboard. You will find a lot of help and support here. I don't really have any good advice (nothing seems to work with mine) but I'm sure someone will be along soon with ideas. The main common one I've seen though is to get the book The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. A lot of people seem to be helped by it.

Welcome again!

Sharonlyne,

If you put a signature at the bottom of your post, it would make it much easier for us to try to help you. How old is your son? Is he on medication, etc...?

I have a son in high school who tries my patience on a daily basis. I've found that a list of written rules as to what is expected of him helps quite a bit. He "earns" rewards for good behavior. He looses rewards for bad behavior.

We don't discipline him for poor behavior in school. We let the school handle school matters. Otherwise, he would NEVER have any rewards at all!!!

Also, consistency is extremely important. This is really hard, but, no matter what he does, I've found that I have to remain calm at all times. Raising my voice or showing any emotion at all, only makes the situation worse.

Are you a single parent or do you live with husband or SO??? Do you live with difficult child's father??? If you share parenting responsibilities with someone else, it is extremely important that both of you agree on all issues in front of difficult child. You have to present a united front. Otherwise problems will get worse!!!

These are just a few things that I've found helped my situation. I'm sure others will be along shortly with more suggestions..

I'm glad you found us!!! WFEN

kris

<span style="color: #663366">welcome to the board. i think you will be glad you found us.

before we can offer any suggestions we need more information. how old is your son? when & by whom was he diagnosed? is he on any medications? how is he doing in school? does he have an IEP & is it working well for him? any siblings? do they have problems? dad on the scene? is he involved?

doing a profile will help us keep the details straight when we respond to your posts. look in the faq forum for a list of the abbreviations we use.

two books i can think of that might be helpful are The Bipolar Child by dimitri papolos & The Explosive Child by ross greene.

kris
</span>

busywend

Welcome! I agree, we need a bit of the questions answered before knowing what to suggest or how to help.

oceans

It took us years, but we seem to have hit on a medication combination that is actually helping. When his mood is stable then his ODD behaviors seem to go away. It also seems that he needs lots of structure. There is hope...it just seems to take lots of trial and trubulations to get there.

http://www.explosivechild.com/index.html

This is something that I was looking into, but they are too far for us to get an evaluation.
I emailed them to find practitioners in our area and have not heard from them yet.

Do you have good resources available where you live???