How many of your Jobs, Incomes etc. are affected by the economy?

Abbey

Spork Queen
I doubt I'd get laid off of my minimum wage job at the grocery store. :) That place is insane. But...it's peanuts for money.

My DJ business is another story. Usually, this time of year we are booking holiday parties left and right. Not this year. That's one of those things that just get cut due to costs. I usually have about a good 30 or so booked by now. Today? 2.

I know one thing - people are clipping coupons at a record rate. We have this thing called a 'media bag.' We sort and stuff all the coupons people bring in to this thing. It's a nice tidy bag that looks organized. Not anymore. That thing is so stuffed to the hilt that we have resorted to putting the coupons in grocery bags when we can't stuff anymore, which is daily. I think I need a forklift to bring them to cash out at the end of the day.

Abbey

tiredmommy

That's funny Abbey because I'm going into church this morning to start setting up a coupon exchange so we don't waste unexpired ones!

Here's to more coupons! :cheers:

lovemysons

Hi totoro, Yes we're being affected.
But first, congratulations busywend for keeping your job...though kinda stinks you have to take over someone else's too. Mixed blessing.

On the computer side of husband's business, he just lost a $6,500.00 a month contract with a long time client. And...he has a security camera side to his business as well. This is the side of the business that helps employ our two difficult child's and one other man (who has a wife and 2 children). One of the big jobs the guys were working on just lost funding...their credit line has been shut down so the job will end until further notice. This means both of our difficult child's and the other man will lose their jobs when husband's money for this job runs out. He figures he'll now have to lay them off by either Jan or Feb.
We still have enough money per month to support our own family but husband feels pretty bad that he may very well have to layoff his 3 employees. The good news is that they are all aware and can start looking for other jobs.
We're hoping that client's credit line is re-established soon so that the job will continue and all husband's employees will be spared.

Times are tough everywhere, no doubt.
Tammy

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
husband had been out of work for 3 years due to a dwindling economy in the tech arena. Now, he's been working a very stable position for almost 2 years (thank god). On the other hand, I got laid off my position almost 2 years ago (mostly due to the amount of time I had to take off for family issues).

I'm praying that husband's company hangs on (it's a huge global company).

BW, I'm so glad that you held onto your job. Prayers & positive thoughts to those of you struggling.