I am going back to the cardiologist tomorrow and I'm super nervous

Californiablonde

Tomorrow I go in for my stress test to check my heart. The cardiologist is almost 100% sure I don't have heart problems but he wants to be thorough. They are going to make me run on a treadmill. I am super scared I am going to pass out in the doctor's office. As it is, I am forcing myself to do 20 of brisk walking in the evenings, and by the time I get done I am super short of breath and I feel like collapsing. I can't even walk up one flight of stairs to my apartment without being out of breath. I am really worried I won't pass the test tomorrow. I don't want to faint. Wish me luck!

BusynMember

It is so incredibly rare for women in your age bracket, to have heart problems that I really hope to soothe you by saying it is very unlikely. Especially if you don't smoke. Like me, you likely get physical symptoms, anxiety related, under stress. That does not mean I discount your symptoms, like some idiot doctors do, and I think you are doing the right thing to have this checked. I had my heart checked too around your age because I felt it racing. But it was nothing in the end. And I wore a monitor for two days. In the end, it was my mood disorder and anxiety and life situation at the time that was causing these things. Let's not forget the time I ended up in ER because half of my body went numb and I was sure it was a stroke (this was also in very early 40's when I was still divorced and before I met hubby and things were VERY hard). It turned out to be hyperventilation. I was shocked at all the stuff you feel if you hyperventilate. I meditate now so I learned to control my breathing (you may want to try guided meditation by accessing Youtube).

Let us know how it goes, but the odds are so greatly in your favor. Still, anxiety is no picnic for our minds or bodies and eating well, learning ways to relax (meditation, imagery, just resting your thoughts) can improve your health. I never dreamed I'd call myself a peaceful person. As peaceful as a person with anxiety problems can be, I have achieved it. Ask your therapy about learning mindfulness training. It rocks!

Again, please let us know how it goes and try not to worry. You are most likely fine, but stressed. If you faint, it is not serious, but again most likely due to stress, but it is very unlikely to happen in a doctor's office where you can tell him you are lightheaded and he can take medical precautions to make sure you don't. You are going to be in safe hands.

Hugs to you.

Confused

Midwest is right! It can be stress, and at least your going to check it out either way. Im with you in spirit and no matter your not alone!

Lil

A few years ago I had some chest pain, went to the ER just to get checked out and be safe...it was really bothering me. This is Friday. They kept me. The next morning bright and early I'm up and running on the treadmill. This is not my idea of a fun test.

Now, I've had a chemical stress test before and it is AWFUL. On the off chance they make you do that instead for some reason...they don't tell you this, but it makes you feel like you are going to die, I swear. They also don't tell you that the half-life of the drug is like 3 seconds, so if you have any actual problem during the test, they stop the drip and it's over. So neither are dangerous. But, I thought the treadmill one would be better...and it is...but jeeze louise I hate running.

I'm a BIG woman, but get this...they take me to the stress test in a wheelchair. How incredibly stupid is that? I'm wearing a gown and the biggest pajama pants they've got (which are too small). And then I'm up and running - and let me tell you, I am NOT a runner - and every few seconds they speed it up. Then, when I can't go any faster, they start inclining the stupid treadmill. I thought for sure I was falling off! The nurse is LEANING into my back and butt to keep me on the treadmill! Can you picture that? It actually was over pretty quickly.

Then they tell me...it's abnormal. So they keep me and I have to have a cardiac cath. So...I call my boss and take a week off work (because I have to be off for at least 4 days after that) and Monday They take me down and run a camera up my artery. And...negative. Completely clear.

The chest pain? They decided it was acid reflux.

The moral of the story...don't worry. If my big old butt can do that test you sure can and even if it shows something, it might be nothing in the end.

Last edited:

Californiablonde

Thanks ladies. I can't even handle walking on a treadmill. Actual running? Ugh! I hope I can do it. At least I will have gotten my exercise in for the day and I won't have to walk later when I get home!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
CB, good luck on your test.

A few years ago I had shortness of breath at certain times, not always, like running up stairs, or quickly jumping up.......after a battery of tests, it turned out I have exercise induced asthma. No biggie. I just use an inhaler before I exercise.

Let us know how it turns out.

Californiablonde

Well I got through the test and it was soooo HARD! I had to run up a steep hill for ten minutes and I actually had to stop the test a little early. BUT I did get up to the target heart rate they wanted and the test results were perfectly normal. But man was it hard and boy am I ever out of shape! So my heart is healthy and my diagnosis is being fat and out of shape. Hence the shortness of breath every time I climb a flight of stairs. I found out at the doctors that I have a BMI of 30 which puts me in the obese category. Now I am more than ever determined to lose this weight. I am on my fitness pal and weight watchers online and I have lost 2 pounds since I started on Monday. It's not much but it's a start. I have been forcing myself to power walk 5 days a week and it's hard but I really do feel accomplished every time I finish. I really think I'm serious now about losing weight and for the first time in awhile I'm feeling hopeful.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I'm glad you're okay CB.

I think you're off to a good start with the weight, that will be 8 pounds in 4 weeks. That sounds reasonable and healthy to me. Your heart's okay and that's important, with your new resolve, you'll lose the weight.

Lil

I have lost 2 pounds since I started on Monday. It's not much but it's a start.

Don't knock two pounds, or even one, in a week. If you only lose one pound a week, beginning February 1, by June 1 you will have lost 17 lbs. By Christmas, you will have lost 46 lbs!

As long as the scale goes down instead of up, you're winning. :)

Really glad you're alright. And yep...that test sucks!