I burnt my son

house of cards

I spilled boiling water on my sweet S on Thursday giving him 3 second degree burn spots about the size of a baseball on his neck and shoulder. He was in so much pain and I can't forgive myself. Please pray or send good thoughts that he heals quickly and doesn't scar too badly. S is AA and the marks are very dramatic right now and he starts summer school in 2 weeks. Even bug bits take forever to heal with him so any prayers would be very apprieciated.

Lothlorien

Oh Gosh, that poor kid! Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm always yelling at my kids when I'm cooking, to stay out of the way while I'm dealing with stuff on the stove. With all those kids underfoot, I'm sure it's chaos at dinner time.

Will keep him in our prayers.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Hugs going your way. Accidents DO happen. Heck...I dropped my oldest son on the floor when he was one month old!! Cracked his head open from the top to the base. Did I ever feel like a child beater.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Saying prayers he heals quickly.

Stop beating yourself up. I know you feel horrible, but accidents happen. It's not like you did it on purpose.

My kids used to say I was positively anal about having a child in the kitchen while cooking. But this is why. Now that they are parents they understand.

(((hugs)))

meowbunny

Lighting a candle for your little one.

I dare any parent in the world to say they have not accidently harmed their child at one time or another -- whether it be while driving, cooking, farming, changing a diaper, whatever. Whether it is a small pinprick or a serious burn, we feel incredibly guilty. You will get over the guilt but, if you're like me, there will always be a twinge when you see (or think you see) the remainder of the scar 15 years after the incident occurred. It's just human nature.

HUGS for both of you.

Nancy

Kathy,

I hope your son heals quickly and he is not in too much pain. Did you take him to the doctor so they can make sure his burns will heal properly and without too much scaring? Also you want to make sure that when he starts summer school and someone asks him about it there will be no suspicions.

Nancy

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Oh I have been there crying that I was a terrible parent! Just take care of him and do what you can to make him feel better.
I will be praying for his little body to heal fast.

TerryJ2

Accidents happen, especially with-kids and dogs underfoot. I don't know why they love to hang out under our feet while we're at the stove.
My son is mixed AA and while his scars take longer to heal, they DO heal. At this young age, yours will heal fine. In a wk he probably won't remember the whole thing. The hard part will be getting you to forget it! {{hugs}}

house of cards

Thanks for the support but I don't want to forgive myself any time soon, it was stupid and he is paying for my mistake. I'll stop feeling bad when to scars go away and that won't be soon. I really want your prayers for him, I'm ok, don't have too much time for my pity party, we are off to a picnic today with all the questions...and Nancy, I took him to the emergency room and he has been to see the doctor today and goes back in a week. He is feeling better, now he is starting to realize they look bad and feeling self conscience about the bandages. I believe in the board magic and just want this to heal as soon as possible.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Aw, Kathie...enjoy the picnic. It will be a nice break for you.

One thing about young ripper snappers is that they tend to rebound much faster than us old folks. Just give him lots of hugs and care and he'll be fine. You just have to get over the guilt. All he wants is a mamma that hugs him and holds him. He doesn't hold you responsible.

Abbey

KTMom91

Adding my hugs and prayers...please don't keep beating yourself up. Accidents do happen, and our little darlings do bounce back.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
Healing prayers for S and your heart, accidents do happen, I once went to make difficult child I get up off the floor when he was being difficult and when I yanked him up, his knee caught a tack sticking up from the carpet strip and a huge chunk of his knee was flapping in the breeze with blood everywhere, I felt terrible, and I was in a fight with mine when it happened, you were only trying to cook, <<<HUGS>>>

DammitJanet

My middle son got burned when he was about 9 I think. The boys had been sent to take the trash out to the burn pile and somehow got it into their head to also start the trash burning. Where they got a lighter or matches I dont know. The problem came when somehow a can of mentholated deep heating rub got thrown away by accident into the trash and when it was lit, it blew up. It burned my middle sons face like a chemical burn.

I heard the explosion and the other two boys came screaming in the house. I grabbed a wet towel, threw the kids in the car and raced everyone to the ER. Thankfully mine wasnt burned very badly but he spent a couple of nights in the hospital.

They do rebound quite quickly.

trinityroyal

Sending thoughts and saying many prayers for your little one to heal quickly and not scar too badly.

A few tips to help with reducing scarring (from one with the same sort of skin as your little one)

Once the bandages come off, try to make sure that your little guy does not scratch or pick at any scabs. Let them fall off on their own. Completely.

Keep the area well moisturized. This will allow the skin to heal without puckering too much. If possible, use a cream with aloe, olive oil or shea butter.

If your son can wear soft white cotton undershirts between his skin and the next layer of clothing, that will help the new skin grow and heal without getting abraded by clothing.

Please don't be too hard on yourself. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Trinity