I could scream

pnuts

I have been trying to get difficult child's teachers on track without much success. difficult child attends a private school that was able to meet his needs pretty well until this year. 7th grade is so difficult. Higher pupil to teacher ratio...12-2 last year...16 to 1 this year...block schedule...changing classes...lockers...etc. I can't seem to get this crop of teachers to understand the educational needs of my child...No IEP's in private school here. They just don't get him this year. Therapist and psychiatrist agree that difficult child's problem behaviors are fueled by the stress at school.
Anybody have any suggestions for educating the educators?
Thanks.

Kathy813

Staff member
Obviously the private school teachers aren't on board with your ideas on how to meet the needs of your child. Since there is nothing you can do to force them to see things your way, maybe you need to consider a public school where they will be mandated by law to meet your child's special needs.

~Kathy

Sheila

Private schools do not have to educate children with disabilities unless they want to. IDEA/IEPs do not apply. To my knowledge, the only exception to this would be if the private school accepts Federal money.

Have you talked to the Headmaster to see if there is anything they are willing to do by way of accommodations at least for executive function problems, e.g., a peer to help with lockers and changing classes, help with getting homework assignments written down correctly, etc.?

Your post doesn't say what type problems your child is having academically, but executive function problems can sink a student. With support, students can be much more successful -- somewhat similar to an individual in the workplace having a need for a secretary or assistant to make/cancel appointments, field phone calls, make sure all materials are assimilated for a presentation, preparing agendas, keeping the boss on schedule, etc.

If you have to move you son to a public school, I recommend that you get the evaluation process for an IEP underway as soon as possible. The process takes a while and if he's already having problems with low student/teacher ratio, changing classes, etc., I'd expect him to have the same problems in public school.