I just went ice skating with my car.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Seriously.

I went to go to the doctor this morning at a free clinic. I pulled in all so slowly....and just slid right back down into the street. It was about a 30 foot slide with my car twisting and turning every which way. Fortunately, no traffic. Sat there a few minutes trying to go ANYWHERE and some homeless guy comes up, knocks on my window and asks me if I need a push. So he pushes me out into a snowy, not ice part of the road. He says he's at the mission to get a bus token...doesn't have the 75 cents. All I had on me was a $5 bill which I gave to him.

There ARE good people in this world. I'd give that guy a job in a heartbeat if I was able. Being so down, but in the same sense so positive is inspriring. Times are just so tough.

Clinic closed because of weather until this afternoon. Hopefully I'll get to see someone today.

Abbey

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Well, the good thing is you didn't fall on your keister!!!!! Good for you and the soul that helped you out.........hope you finally see a doctor and get some relief for your ills.........

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Yikes!!! I have done that and it is scary! Turn into the slide... no braking, unless you have Antilockbrakes and then push down firmly hold them down... they will grab eventually.
Sorry that is a scary feeling. Make sure you carry kitty litter (throw this down on the ice where you are stuck), a shovel, blanket, flares, water,extra clothes, there is more... I am going blank.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Keep some cheap kitty litter in your trunk. It helps with ice.

Scary as all get out! Eeeek!

We've got a lovely ice storm in process right now. Don't know how bad it's going to get. Had to melt the ice off the car to get to my appointment today. Took forever. Ice was 1/2 inch thick. ugh No real trouble driving. Hit a couple of slick spots, but no real issues. Thankfully.

Hope you get in to see the doctor okay.

((hugs))

witzend

husband works with a gal from WI who thought we were so quaint and silly to shut down when the snow comes. I've never been to WI, but it's pretty flat, right? We have 9 dormant volcanoes inside the city limits, so we are not flat. Anyway, last month when it snowed, she promptly went out her front door, got into her car, got it out of her driveway and slid it into the neighbor's driveway where it stayed for a week. Then she moved it back to her house and worked from home until the thaw. We heard a lot of "I'm from WI, (or MN, or Buffalo NY) and your city just isn't prepared for this! It's the city's fault for not sanding and plowing!"

I'm glad to hear that clinics close down in WI, as well, and it's not just our western cowpoke towns that can't handle the snow. I'm going to forward your post to husband to share with his work friend - who of course blamed her trouble on our lack of snow plows.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I hate that, it's so scary. I'm glad there was someone there to help you out!

easy child slipped and fell off the back stairs the other morning, it was a complete sheet of ice. And difficult child always comes home on this road that has a big hill. Well, one night we had an ice storm and her car slid dangerously close to the edge of a cliff. She got out of the car, slipped and fell, had to take off her shoes so she could run across the street and bang on someone's door to call us!! In her stocking feet she ran across the icy road. Thank God the mother of the house was still up!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
We're supposed to have snow/ice/sleet tonight. I'm with ya, Abbey- I hate this stuff! WAAAAAA!!!!

Suz

Steely

Yikes..........how scary.

But how amazing that homeless man helped. That is the kinda stuff that makes me cry. So many stigmas and stereotypes against homeless, just like mental illness - and yet many times they are one in the same.

Be safe girl..........
And really when are you coming back South????

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Meanwhile, judges gave you a 7, 8, and a 9.5 on your compulsory! Way to go! You're in the running for a medal :D

That was a very kind thing for the snow-guy to do for you, and vice versa. There IS good in this world -- it's everywhere if we give people a chance to exercise it.

Hope you can get in later when the clinic opens.

trinityroyal

Abbey, so glad that you came out of your skating party with no damage to yourself or your car. How very kind of that homeless man to help you, and how very kind of you to help him too.

You need to put together a car emergency kit in a hurry. It should contain the following:

1) 2 bags of kitty litter. One you can use to spread under your tires on icy roads to give you some traction. With 2 bags, you also add some weight to your car which also helps with traction.

2) A small snow shovel. I've seen some nice ones at Loew's and Home Depot that have ergonomic hand grips and a telescoping handle. You don't need anything that fancy, just something you can use to dig out some of the snow under your tires if you get stuck in deep snow.

3) A flashlight. 'Nuff said.

4) Flares. Again, 'nuff said.

5) Emergency candles, matches or a lighter, and a can with a top that opens. The candles provide heat as well as light, and the can gives you a safe candle stick. Light the candle, pour a few drops of wax in the bottom of the can, and then stick the candle in the wax. This way you can set the candle down and warm your fingers over it, or rest it on the dashboard, etc.

6) Food. Energy bars, granola bars, or even chocolate bars are a good choice for this. Something that won't spoil and will give you energy and nutrients as required.

7) A thermal blanket. They're made out of a silver-foil-like fabric. They are very thin and lightweight, and they use your body heat to radiate warmth. If you don't have one of these, a big wool or fleece blanket will do (but it will be cold for the first little while if you wrap yourself in it)

8) Those YakTraks that Toto recommended. Great for walking on the ice if you need them. Fit inside a pocket if you don't. They have different brand names, but since that one was mentioned recently...

Hope you're able to get into the clinic later.

Trinity

trinityroyal

last month when it snowed, she promptly went out her front door, got into her car, got it out of her driveway and slid it into the neighbor's driveway where it stayed for a week. Then she moved it back to her house and worked from home until the thaw. We heard a lot of "I'm from WI, (or MN, or Buffalo NY) and your city just isn't prepared for this! It's the city's fault for not sanding and plowing!"

Witz, I have no patience at all for this sort of thing.

This reminds me of those people who think that 4-wheel drive means they can drive over or through anything, then they go sliding all over the road when there's a heavy snowfall.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Fun, ain't it? Glad the guy was there to help you out.

Another couple of things to carry with you...blanket (of course) but also some of those pocket size hand warmers. One you open the pack and expose them to air, they heat up and stay warm for up to 10 hours. I picked up a couple of 4 packs at Walmart. One went in my car and one went in husband's. I figure if I get stuck somewhere....I've got my coat and blanket and can always stick one of those in each shoe and still have 2 left.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Kitty litter, salt and sand are no where to be found around here right now. I took in 2 bags of salt when I went to the shelter and they were thrilled.

Nice thing is after 4 hours I was seen by very nice people. Sister Denise and doctor Bailey. I have walking phuemonia, which is what I suspected. The doctor says...you should take 3 or 4 days off work and just rest. I just stared him in the eye. Dude...I'm in a FREE clinic. I can't afford to take off 3 days. He just chuckled. Got some medications.

I laughed as he hooked up some new age thingy that takes your blood pressure and heart rate at the same time. He couldn't find a heart beat. I said...am I alive? He said he wasn't sure. ;)

I'm a people watcher. As I sat for those 4 hours waiting, I was watching the people who were in this shelter. It wasn't what you would think. They were my age, respectible looking people who have no insurance. What a shame. I did get a free knitted hat.

Abbey

Steely

Abbey..........so sorry you are sick.
And a free knitted hat. Oh boy.
I hope you were able to write about all your people watching.
You wait, you and I will be famous authors someday.;)

TerryJ2

That was definitely a fair deal! Good timing.

I do not, not, not, miss those times. I hate ice. Love snow. Hard to have one with-o the other, though.

I'm glad everything turned out okay.

meowbunny

One of the major pluses of living here is that I don't have put up with snow, ice and sleeting rain. I really don't miss that at all. The one time my car went skating, it skated right into the police car that was skating on the other side of the road. Fortunately, the officer had a sense of humor. He threatened to give the road a ticket if it did that again.

Ugh to the walking pneumonia. Do rest as much as possible. Drink lots of fluid. Stay as warm as possible.

Want us all to send you envelopes of kitty litter and salt? You could just pour the envelopes into containers and probably have enough for at least two winters.

Lothlorien

Take care of yourself, Deb. I've had pnuemonia a couple of times. You need a lot of rest. Get yourself a scarf to go with that hat and cover your mouth when you go out into the cold.