I think we are getting somewhere!

Mandy

Parent In Training
As most of you know Little Bear has a Mood Disorder which I believe could also be either Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) or both. He had a major crisis last month and was put on Seroquel and Depakote since both had anti-manic properties.

Well I think we might be onto something! He went into a little rage last week and again today. The amazing thing was... he came out of both on his own after abt. 20 min instead of the usual hour or more.

Also... they have only escalated to mostly screaming, crying, and a little kicking of the dashboard(in the car). This is a big step for him;)

The part that brought tears to my eyes and something he has never done before was he APOLOGIZED to me today after his rage was over. This was so critical because I was to the point of thinking he didn't have it in him to have empathy or concern for other's which had me quite concerned about him.

Thanks for reading this! I just had to share this moment with people that would understand:D

aeroeng

Mom of Three
All right!

Earlier this year I got the very first apology, and a promise to do better. We are not there yet, but I agree with you. The fact that he finally recognized and took some responsibility for his behavior is a significant milestone!

The things that frustrated him will still frustrate him, but good improvement!

busywend

Oh I am glad he is able to apologize. Remember none of our kids WANT to be bad. It is hard on them when they can not control it.

Yes, and my therapist just reminded me to keep looking for progress like you described and focus on that. Like, difficult child had huge rage but did not actually steal the car (took my keys) and she did not physcailly attatck me. Both are progress for her. I agree it is illness, not badness. Compassion

Mandy

Parent In Training
Compassion you hit the nail on the head! We have to get excited about the little baby steps they take!

Thank you for taking the time to read!! It was one of my small victories!:D