Iced Coffee

goldenguru

So I had a coupon for a free McDonald's frappe. OMGoodness - it was yumminess. I had an iced coffee from Tim Horton's a week or so ago. Also delish. With the prices I was thinking I would try to make them at home.

So fellow coffee gurus - any suggestions?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I make a pot of very strong coffee in the morning; after my morning coffee I cool the remaining in the fridge. Generally I use ice, coffee, skim milk with a dash of french vanilla creamer (just enough to give it some sweetness) . Sometimes I use chocolate milk period.

I also have an espresso maker & make iced lattes & iced mochas (sans whipped cream).

This time of year I seem to always have an iced latte or coffee in my hand ~ I figure it's good for my calcium intake.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
My suggestion would be to ask around about more free coupons.......... lots of people would get these and not use them, just not into cold coffee.........

I think to make truly good drinks you have to have a machine, maybe find one second-hand?

lizanne2

We make these at home too. I make an extra pot of coffee and cool it in the real good plastic pitcher in the fridge. we mix it with the flavored creamers....our favorite is the vanilla caramel. Work out proportions of flavored creamer and milk to taste.

It is our special treat. (My daughter has a friend at daughter, she got a few of the plastic cups and lids and some pink straws...we couldn't tell the difference!)

The next adventure for us will be to put it all in the blender with some ice......any hints on that one team?

eekysign

Agree with what everyone else is saying - but here's the real kicker. Take an ice cube tray and fill it with coffee, making coffee ice cubes. Then, when you go to make your frozen/blended/iced coffee drink, you're ONLY using coffee, and it doesn't get all watered down and nasty. :)

everywoman

My husband goes to Mcdonald's every morning for iced coffee. The women in there love him and he gets two for one---I think the manager has a crush on him---she is giving our new "child" a job because she likes husband so much.

susiestar

Roll With It
If you want a ballpark to start with use 1 ounce of hersheys chocolate syrup to 40z coffee and 4 oz milk or cream. I use skim milk for most of it, but some fat free half and half to give it the right feel in my mouth.

If you don't want to use the hersheys, try using Ghirardelli ground sweet chocolate and cocoa. Use about 1-2 Tablespoons of it.

The flavored creamers are great for adding other flavors with-o oversweetening.

for times when you make a lot of these, or mix up a pitcher full, you can get large containers of Hershey's syrup and pumps to fit them at the institutional size aisle of Walmart or at Sams. Just check the price per ounce to be sure it is less. Most of the pumps I have see dispense one ounce, which is very handy.

For a long time Starbucks employees guessed at the amt of chocolate and other syrups to use - the recipes called for "coating the bottom of the cup" and other eyeball estimations. It is why I always had a favorite barista and quite a few who were not, and why the quality could be so variable. (Not guessing - I had the training by Starbucks). At the Starbucks that finally opened here the recipes are more standardized.

One thing to be aware of is that often the cold drinks need more sweetening than you expect. Hot drinks stay mixed better and the flavored syrups don't mix as well with cold liquids.

If you use hot coffee to mix the chocolate in (even just an equal amount as to the chocolate) and then add the cold milk, more coffee, etc... then you often wind up using less sugar.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Having worked in a roastery for years I am a snob!
I have been freezing the coffee into cubes for years!
We save the coffee for iced coffee in the afternoon as well.
I purchase really good roasted on site beans, the strongest they have. I grind each morning.

I will drink it with ice only or,
Blend it in the blender with a tiny bit of starbucks,(I use Starbucks or Torani because they use the least amount of ingredients) Vanilla, and non-fat milk- lots of ice and blend a long time until it is really frothy!

I love these.
I also just love it non-blended.
I like it at home because I can control the amount of sugar and the milk and it is cheap!!!

Plus my coffee is strong!!! I also do the french press at home. I am a bit of a purist though I don't really like mochas or any thing with too much flavor, just the flavor of coffee. LOL
I don't mind a bit of vanilla or caramel. Actually though I do have a problem for a drink I found in Sun Valley Idaho, it is a concoction made with Mexican chocolate, It is called a "Bowl of Soul"!
So good!
I can almost copy it! But nothing like being there...

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
toto, I became a coffee "snob" when I spent a bit too much time (14 yrs) in Seattle with husband. I was offered a job at Starbuck's & turned it down for "better" position in the shipping industry. Did I regret that.

When things were fiscally tight here I had to go back to Folger's - almost killed me. Had to purchase medications & put food on the table & we cut back everywhere. husband would buy me real coffee for our anniversary or my birthday.

I love coffee. I now use a local roaster ~ Peace Coffee ~ fair wage & shade grown. I love the stuff. kt has become a big coffee lover but I have to brew decaf for her.

I make several coffee/espresso drinks. Live on them in the summer.

goldenguru

Thanks for all the hints/tips. I too am a bit of a coffee snob. It's my one indulgence.

Linda - I cracked up about nearly dying when you had to go back to Folgers. I feel the same way! Actually one of my favorite coffee beans is Tim Horton's. A little cheaper and pretty good taste.

I just brewed a double strength pot - gonna refrigerate it today and experiment in the morning. I hope it's as yummy as the store bought ones.

Thanks for the tips fellow coffee lovers!!

M

ML

Yum! I may do half caff but otherwise with skim milk and a dash of flavor it wouldn't have to break the diet.

goldenguru

So - I didn't wait till morning. I had to have one this afternoon. It was very good.

I used 4 oz. of double strength coffee, about 4 oz. of skim milk, a large handful of ice cubes, and a large tablespoon of white sugar. Ran it all through the blender and put it in a thermal travel mug. Very yummy. Tomorrow I think I'll try using a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar and a dash of vanilla to add flavor. Just saved myself about $4.00. :)

I also like the idea of freezing coffee cubes with- leftover coffee instead of using regular ice cubes.