I'm a fashion disaster.....

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Jo, my wardrobe is pretty similar to what you describe.

I have really tried to follow most of Stacy and Clinton's rules but I have some "fun" things, too. I'm short and have short legs. Wide waist compared to smallish hips.

I'm most comfortable in the lower (not LOW like the kids') rise pants because of my wide waist and I've gotten hooked on pointy-toed shoes to help make my legs look longer (another one of their tricks). The short jackets that come in at the waist help me look like I actually have a waist.

These are basic rules that they teach and they seem to work for most body shapes- they certainly help mine. Best of all, they don't believe in "matchy-matchy" stuff so you can have some fun with mixing up your things and they also like to have some fun with shoes.

For summer this year I picked up a pair of inexpensive "leopard" platform sandals at TJ Maxx's and a dressier pair at Kohl's. They are so UNlike me that I can't wait to wear them. :smile:

Suz

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Suz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have really tried to follow most of Stacy and Clinton's rules but I have some "fun" things, too. For summer this year I picked up a pair of inexpensive "leopard" platform sandals at TJ Maxx's and a dressier pair at Kohl's. They are so UNlike me that I can't wait to wear them. :smile:

Suz
</div></div>

Yeah, I think it's key to have some things simply ti 'mix-up' your style - it's what makes you have your own look. So, even if you're buying the same outfit as friends, you make it your own by adding personal touches. And it doesn't even need to be 'out there' wild, it just needs to be something that suits your mood, right? I am a shoe horse. I have so many pairs of black sandals and my H is in awe when I say, "Oh I need a pair of black sandals to go with this..." he just doesn't get that certain styles go with certain clothes. BUT, I love to mix and match my bottoms and tops - it makes me feel like I have a huge wardrobe filled with lots of choices and that keeps me from feeling like I wear a uniform every day! UGH.

I don't wear dresses except in the summer and those that I do wear are easy wash and wear - I don't pay a lot for sundresses because rarely do they make it past 3 seasons. I get sick of them. However, I have invested in 3 really nice tailored summer dresses that will never go out of style and I've gotten each of them at Marshalls/TJ Maxx. And one I bought through the online outlet at Coldwater Creek - it was originally $69 and I got it for $29. Great deals!