I'm not impressed with the tegretol

H

HaoZi

She had an increase last week (small increase) and this is the second tantrum since then. First one I called the police. I'm bordering on it now as she's been violent with me already, but since she's acting like a child I followed her lead and treated her like one - spanked her and washed her mouth out with soap. Both times involved telling her to get off an electronic device and go to bed (obviously electronic devices are an issue).

Now I'm waiting to see if she calms any or attacks me again. She sure ain't happy.

T

TeDo

I think you have every reason not to be liking the Tegretol. It sounds like it might actually be making things much worse. Time to get her off it???

H

HaoZi

Her ear is clogging up again, I just noticed her pulling on it, she was doing that last time, too. It's usually a retrospect thing, but I can't rule out it being related. She did great the first month on the stuff.
The way she's stomping around the stinky neighbors downstairs may save me the effort of deciding to make the call or not. At least she's talking instead of throwing things right now.

TerryJ2

Does she pull on her ear because she's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) or is she getting an earache and infection?
So sorry it's not working. Sounds like she's on enough stuff already that isn't working. You may want to go back to Square One, at least with-some of the medications. Maybe just keep her on the Abilify and try some others? (Or maybe your signature is old?)
Let us know if the neighbors complain. As you said, that's certainly one way that natural consequences occur.

T

TeDo

You might need to get her into a doctor. If it's so bad she's acting out because of it, a visit to the ER might be necessary. Has she ever been seen by an ENT? That might be the stop after that.

H

HaoZi

Yes, she has an earache, it's clogged. I'm tired of dragging her to doctor for it because every time I do, then without fail I'm told to wait it out because it's viral and no antibiotics will work on it.

H

HaoZi

She's laying down (finally), got some ear drops in her. She's proclaiming that she will never forgive me (lawks but she sounds like a teenager in some her rages these days) but she's overtired and much calmer.

crazymama30

is it the regular release or extended release? If regular release does she take it once or twice daily?

How long has she been on it?

T

TeDo

Maybe it's time to skip the pediatrician and go straight to an ENT. difficult child 1 had frequent ear infections and had to have tubes because he'd have one right after another without giving the eardrum a chance to completely heal inbetween. Just a thought. Glad she's finally calm.

H

HaoZi

I never thought about an ENT for her, I'd still have to get her over to pediatrician first. It's not frequent, but she can back up some during wet weather. Short sinuses. Once a year or so.

She takes 200 in the morning and 300 in the afternoon.

H

HaoZi

Short because she's a kid, Know what I mean?? "She'll grow out of it" is what I keep hearing, and the period between them is lengthening. Goodness knows I had enough of them as a kid myself and outgrew them. I don't think tubes or anything was ever mentioned for me, let alone sinus surgery. She has an appointment this afternoon and praise the powers that be it's with someone standing in for her psychiatrist and not her psychiatrist (have I mentioned I don't like her psychiatrist but he's the only psychiatrist here that takes her insurance).

H

HaoZi

We now know why her ear was so clogged but there was no pain. I've never seen such a chunk of earwax in my life. After that irrigation Kiddo has NO excuse for not being able to hear me.

We also have a new house rule regarding her getting off ALL electronics by a specific time and she (supposedly) understands why. So we'll see how that goes.

buddy

OH wow, glad it came out. q stuffs things in his ears... then it bugs him (supposedly he does it because the wax is bugging him to begin with but he never has a ton of it... I think it is just a hole to stuff things in, sigh) anyway, once he does this...and there is anything in that canal, his behavior stinks. I almost know to ask him or ask the nurse or dr to look every time there is a sudden continual behavior shift. I nearly always find something in there, sigh. I hope this really does help her. Maybe some of those drops that keep it soft and able to come out naturally would help her?

StressedM0mma

You know, I had no idea how much the electronics can impact behavior on my difficult child. She is allowed to have it later on the weekends, and I am thinking of backing it up. I am noticing some poor behaviors creeping back in because of it. I have to give a shout out to Terry. She is the one who kept pushing me to limit them.

H

HaoZi

I'm thinking of getting wax-softening drops or something. Not sure which would be best/easiest, when I have time I'll browse them at the store to see what's available here then check reviews on the available ones.

She's now off the electronics (first night) and luckily tomorrow isn't a super-early morning so if she doesn't wind down right away it shouldn't be a major issue. She's always a bear in the morning except on those rare occasions that she gets up at some unheard of hour like 3am and stays up.