Im proud of me...and thats really unusual lol

BusynMember

I spent the weekend with my daughter and granddaughter for granddaughters second birthday. I am uncomfortable around people I dont know so Plan A was to stay at my table (daughter rented a small place on a lake for babys party).

There was a table for daughters friends and kids. One is a woman Ive known since her childhood. She has made a few badchoices, but her father died young and her mother was and is both a drug addict and a felon. She has nobody. Neither fo her small kids, pne who doesnt speak much at age sic and is probably on the spectrum.

Another table was for daughters boyfriend of twelve years family. I know his mother is critical of my daughter and her own son, yet I knew my daughter, who is kindhearted, wanted her to have a good time. she was seated with her ex husband and his wife, which had to feel odd. I had never met the father. Boyfriend had been estranged from him and he lives in California. I decided to let that table be. I had spent the day before in bliss with my adorable, beautiful, smary but veey active gtanddaughter and was not feeling social. Let them deal with the tension. I cant do anything.

The third table was pur family...Sonic, Jumper, her boyfriend and my ex, who I get along with well. My own husband was at our hotel dogsitting. Yes, we brought the dogs, but husband had to stay with them. He is quiet and didnt mind, but I was there without his support. For sure zi would help my daughter host, but basically keep to myself.

But I saw her friend, who has nobody, with her darling children and decided I just couldnt leave her there without talking to her. So I did and it turned into a warm conversation and u bounced her baby boy on my knee and then chased her little girl. I dont know why, but I told the mother they were free to call me Grammy, like my granddaughter did and that if she brought them over when I came in, id be happy to be a surrogate grandma to them. Mother looked surprised and I wondered if zid made a fool out of myself, but, hey, I meant well. The kids hugged snd kissed me and called me zGrammy, then I went back to my table.

But the father snd his wife stood alone and, although they did not wear friendly expression, I was their grandbabies Hrammy and I felt bad they were alone. So I took a chance and started a friendly conversation with them and really connected to the wife and we spoke for a long time and I tease the dad that he looked lije his son and told him his son was an awesome father and soon they looked more comfortable. I sat down again and oresent opening started.

Boyfriends mother can he hurtful, but she looked so lost. of, wth. I started talking ti her and she, who maybe had seemed the most uncomfortable, broke down her wall and I took her picture with granddaughter and we kidded around. it was not easy for me to spproach het, but I do have a soft heart and my dsughter really wanted everyobe to have fun.

By the end of the party, I was sort of the histess because daughter and boyfriend had to feed everyone etc.

Later we took baby to visit my husband and dogs and grand just loved my frirndliest dog. We made a plate of food for husband.

At the end of the day, I frlt contented but that was it.

The next day my daughter called me. She thsnked me and thsnked me for being so good to her lonely friend and said her friend told her I had acted so great to her and her kids...it meant a lot to her, since the kids had nobody. They talked about me as Grammy and when zi go back in August one of her kids has a birthday. We decided to throw a party for this darling little boy. I feel gpod. I had no idea shed appreciate a litthe sirrogate grammy to be so special. And I will gladly fill that role if wanted. I love kids...happy to have more in my life. Always liked the mother too.

Then my daughter actually thanked me for making everyone at ease and said she loved me and wished we all lived nearby because she saw zJumper doing an amaxing job with her daughter. She said she loves us all much.

When we finally got off the phone,vwe were driving home. Husband asked me why I was crying. I wasnt sure why. But I do ferl I gained a few extra peeps and that I helped my precious daughter and spent quality time with my granddaughter...it couldnt have gone better. I am proud I pushed myself to be nice to all. It isnt easy gor me to make first moves with people.

So today...just today...I am proud of myself. I feel on top of the world. I love my family so much and hope to start including my daughters lifetime all alone friend and her kids in our family fun.

There are no real words to explain how good I feel and im not sure why I evrn shared this. Its not like you are invested...lol. Sometimes this a journal for me. I put down the good and bad

This weekend was touching, emotional, living...and very very good. I sm blessed inmany ways.

Of course, as ususl, Bart wasntthere, but that is his choice...I cal live with it.

I have to work tomorrow. Better transition my mind.

Happy 4th to all!!!!! Love to my CD friends.