I'm setting up .....

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by timer lady, Jan 29, 2010.

  1. timer lady

    timer lady Queen of Hearts

    starting the process (seriously this time) of scanning all the tweedles records, all my tax returns & any other little thing of importance onto a hard drive thingy - you know the one outside of my computer.

    I found software that will help me create text documents rather than scanning a "picture" or GIF file; the software will also scan an entire IEP, for instance, into one file, page my page not as separate files for each piece of paper.

    I'm determined to get down to the file system I have next to my desk with only the current year's stuff with everything else on a designated external hard drive which will be locked in a fireproof safe.

    I've started this several times over the last year but didn't get too far.

    Have any of you done this? Any suggestions or can you tell what software you have used?
  2. trinityroyal

    trinityroyal Well-Known Member

    Linda, I have done something similar. We use a sheet-feed scanner, and the software package that came with the scanner driver.

    The device is one of those print/fax/scan/copy combinations, and it wasn't terribly expensive. I'm not sure whether the scanner has an OCR component to turn documents into text files rather than image files. I think it does, but I've never had to use it. I will poke around and experiment, and then let you know what I find out. If it does what you're looking for, I will let you know the make/model etc. of the scanner.

  3. GoingNorth

    GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

    You need the OCR component if you want to be able to edit these files. As images; they can't be edited.

    I haven't fooled much with OCR lately so am not familiar with what software is currently available to home users.
  4. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    My only suggestion is that you come to my house and do the same with all the piles and files of paperwork here when you're finished with yours. :D
  5. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    I'd suggest that you get two of those hard drive thingies (external hard drives). Copy the same info on both and put the 2nd one in your safe deposit box or at your dad's house.