Is it the heat?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Or maybe the barometric pressure? Is the summer solstice approaching? Are they eating tomatoes or putting sliced lemon in their iced tea? Or maybe the fact that if they were still in school they'd be out for the summer by now (or close to it)?

Regardless, it seems that the kids I'm reading about on these threads are really trying to kick it up a notch...or twelve...these days.

What are you doing to keep yourself sane during these stressful periods? Each of us has something that helps bring *ease* into our lives- what's yours?

The first thing I do is stop answering the phone- or I at least monitor the calls. Thank goodness for caller ID. If I don't feel like talking to someone, I don't! Having an answering machine helps me know if it's an emergency or not- another true blessing of living in this day and age. It's amazing how that small gesture helps me feel as if I have some modicum of control over my time and my life.

What do you do?

Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Suz

How did you know?? lol

At this very moment Nichole is furious with boyfriend. Aubrey has an appointment with the ENT doctor at children's in Dayton at 4pm and Nichole has been calling boyfriend for over an hour and a half attempting to wake him up. He has yet to answer the phone. This is an ongoing thing.

Currently, I'm online (obviously) and ignoring the heck out of her. Except I did mention she might ask easy child for a ride over there as this is important. Aubrey can't miss this appointment. It's to schedule surgery.

Weird thing around here is that Nichole has calmed down tons. It's the boyfriend who's been kicking it up several notches. Oh, well. He's a difficult child too. So I guess it counts.

In a few moments I intend to bury myself in my Sims game. A place where my simulated families can be exactly the way I want them to be. lmao :rofl:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
1. Weeding, watering, and tending my garden is a stress reliever for me.

2. Playing fetch with my dogs helps burn off energy.

3. I also screen the phone calls so if I'm not up to talking with certain people I don't have to. Very often when the phone rings, I will yell out, "I'm not available!" and everyone knows not to cross me.

4. Taking a long hot shower and then lying quietly on my bed with the door closed and a lightly scented candle burning - sort of a meditation.

5. Escaping into an old favorite movie (with the phone turned off).

6. Sitting out on the pool deck with a gin and tonic and a cigarette watching my pups swim in their pool.

7. Popping a xanax and going to sleep.

Those last two sound bad, I know, but hey, gimme a break.:peaceful:

CrazyinVA

Staff member
1. going out with friends
2. wine
3. reading a good book
4. playing online games
5. wine

Seriously, friends are my greatest distraction. Social activities of any kind, where I can ignore the phone more easily.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Screening calls is big for me. If it's important, they'll leave a message for me.

Oddly enough, going to work is a stress reliever.

Now, if someone could front about 100 boxes...you'd be my best friend.

Abbey

N

Nomad

Let's see I think difficult child is more or less okay at the moment (knock on wood), but I recall the summer months were sometimes very tough.

I really like the discussion re: monitoring the phone for calls and the discussion on "distractions." I'm a big believer in them! I guess my favorites would be reading and the internet. When I'm really concerned about my stress level, I call my therapist. I only see her every 3-4 weeks...throwing in an extra appointment is not a big deal.

Read, play with easy child 1 (she just learned to ride her bike with-o training wheels), hire sitter and have date night with wife, go online, take a walk.

trinityroyal

I'm relieved to find out that I'm not the only one who ignores the phone.

Actually, the only time I pick up the phone is if no one else is available to answer AND caller ID shows that it's someone I NEED to talk to.

Other things:
- digging in my garden
- dancing (classes AND just bopping around the house to music, and very occasionally, in a club)
- Sitting in the hot tub reading a good book
- turning the temp down on the hot tub and floating around in my "swimming pool for one" (no kids or DHs allowed)
- riding my bike down strange pathways and discovering new places (like ice cream parlours)

CAmom

Suz,

Take 1 oz of Tequilla, 1 oz of Triple Sec, blend with 1 cup of lime juice, rim glass with salt, and DRINK!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
LMAO...I'm drinking a glass of wine, Crazy's having 2, JoG's enjoying a gin and tonic, and CaMom is sipping margaritas.

:bravo:

Hopefully we are also ignoring the phone while we sip. :)

Lisa is inventing an imaginary family- I laughed out loud when I read that! :thumbsup:

Reading, gardening, dancing (what kind, Trinity?), playing with our pups, biking, and eating ice cream :) are all great activities.

Nomad, I'm glad you have a therapist who is flexible enough to let you change your routine when you need it.

HWGA, I'm glad to see that you remember to have "Date Night" with your wife. I'm sure that means a lot to her- and you!

Abbey, with the characters you are meeting and the positive feedback you are receiving, I can completely understand how work would be a positive escape for you.

I'm delighted to read that we have (for the most part) such healthy ways of dealing with life.

Suz

F

flutterbee

Going for a drive
Gardening/Watering
Singing
Going online
Work on honing my super-power: invisibility
Playing with the pets

Last night, I set up my slacker.com with carefully selected female singers only so I could have music I could sing along with. I was so excited, the music is playing and I'm singing my heart out and difficult child pages me on the phone from her room and tells me to "Shut Up". I hung up on her.

witzend

It's the rain. Luckily it started to get sunny out today, and I will try to do some things in the yard to relieve some stress. Unfortunately, both husband and I are sick with terrible colds. I think husband has bronchitis, but I can't get him to see the DR.

DammitJanet

I dont think I have terribly good coping skills. I fantasize about killing my family and moving away from home...lol. Other than that, I smoke way too many cigarettes and play online games or sleep my life away.

Im slowly working on this in therapy. Give me another ten years or so in therapy and I might have this figured out...lmao.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yes, rainy, gloomy days certainly impact how people feel, that's for sure, Witz. I hope you guys feel better soon.

Working out with CM would probably be a good idea- can I join you?

Heather- LMAO. How DARE she interrupt your solo! The nerve...

And.........uh..............Janet................hon...............you don't need to murder your family in order to move away from home..... :rofl:

Suz

Star*

call 911........call 911
1.) go to the shooting range
2.) dress the dog up and take his picture
3.) paint & draw or do calligraphy
4.) catch bugs, take more pictures, release
5.) swim
6.) clean - always when I'm upset, helps me calm down to see the end result.
7.) play with the dogs and rats
8. come here of course

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Without even thinking, as I turned towards the house, I detoured round to my garden and just spontaneously began weeding. H is mowing the lawn, so it didn't last long - but I was DRAWN to that peaceful place I go to when I weed. Tears streaming down my face, the weeding felt so good.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Jo, seeing positive results. Feeling peace. Experiencing instant gratification is so rare for warrior Moms it's no wonder tears are streaming down your face.

Hugs,
Suz