difficult child attended and willingly was interviewed and evaluated (dual diagnosis program), a plan was set for intensive treatment, and difficult child agreed. When we returned home, he said he refused to go through with it and that he can handle his problems himself. He also claimed I had not told him about this (which is not true/making claims like this is one of the methods he uses to divert). I refreshed his memory about his (prior) willingness to seek treatment and go through with this appointment. I saw "that" look on his face, the one he gets before he rages, got my point across but then left it at that, making it clear that, yes, there is a problem, and, no, husband and I cannot continue to live being at risk. I asked him to think about it before making a decision to decline treatment, told him we would have to address the problems one way or another (all the while knowing this could possibly escalate into something ugly, which, thank goodness, it did not). He told me that he is refusing to go there and that the only way he will participate in a program is if he is forced (involuntary commitment). So, here we go again. I have to decide what to do next about his refusal but, in the meantime, I am looking online for local Al-Anon open meetings (found one pretty close to home so far) and am going to head out to look for the books some other kind posters suggested to me previously.