I've been cooking split pea soup for two days and the recipe says 4 hrs ...

TerryJ2

I've had this issue before. Why is it taking so long? It is only now starting to get mushy. I soaked the entire bag overnight (again, the recipe says 4 hrs, I gave it 8).
I've got it on low, so I can leave the house.
Should I just stand over it and boil the h*ll out of it?
:sigh::mornincoffee:

InsaneCdn

I don't remember exactly the details, but I know that if you have the wrong kid of water in your tap, it doesn't work well with dried peas/beans/lentils.

Mattsmom277

Yes to the water. Hard water can create a problem. You can try adding a 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the pot but do so when you can watch the pot because if it is going to work it can make them soften quickly and you don't want mush.

Also I the peas are too old sometimes they won't soften so it's sometimes risky to use bulk store in case you ER older ones

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have this problem a lot with pinto beans, and we have hard water. When the crock pot took 3 days to make beans, after being soaked for about 12 hours in hot, I got fussy.

If you boil them, they will lose some of their taste.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Terry, after 3 days I'd get out the food processor or blender and mash them that way. Seriously.

Suz

TerryJ2

Ah, food processor. Hadn't thought of that.
And I didn't know that they lose some of their flavor if they are boiled.
Thank you!
They are halfway mushy now, but I may still throw some in the processor.

klmno

I've heard that sometimes it's the peas- the just won't cook- same thing with pinto beans. Anyway- I LOVE split pea soup so I hope you end up with some and can enjoy it!

TerryJ2

Ta-da! The food processor did the trick. The ham is in it and it's all set to go. (I have to put that in last because husband won't eat anything except fowl and fish.)

jal

Split pea soup should be done in 1 to 1 1/2 hours, but you have to keep it around medium heat. Low heat should definately work taking a bit more time, but I have never heard of 2 days and I don't even soak my split peas for this. Maybe H2O is a factor.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm glad the food processor worked, Terry. I've used my blender for split pea soup, potato soup, avocado soup, that kind of thing. It has always worked out well for me. Enjoy!

Suz