Lake Tahoe summer

Nomad

Staff member
loooong story....it usually is.
Has anyone been to Lake Tahoe? I’m particular interested in summer time.
What is it like?
What activities are there!?
Weather?
Great restaurants?
Interests?

Thank you.

Nomad

Staff member
This location might top the list.

But I’m also looking for any good vacation spots in the US that are not overly hot in the summer.

So, for example, MIAMI would be a big NO. Anchorage would be a maybe. Lol.
Need to avoid extreme heat.

Nomad

Staff member
Actually, we went to Alaska on a cruise two summers ago. I don’t recall anchorage being hot. I think it was early August. We went to several ports. Some just cool. Some cold.

It’s hot where I live, so I prefer cooler weather.

I’m not a big sports person.

I like museums, sight seeing, art, fine dining, perhaps something like a boat ride or mini / day cruise .

BusynMember

In all honesty Chicago has great museums, an art museum, music, some may say some of the best food of all ethnicities and I'm sure you can catch a boat ride. I would not say it's cool weather but it often is, at least compared to very warm weather states. You don't get 100s much at all, not that often 90s. It can be humid. That might maybe work for you. They have the best pizza in the country (sorry New Yorkers ;p) and a great night life if you are into that.

Nomad

Staff member
Ideally, I would like the temperature to be lower 70s or even lower! I know that is a tall order for summer.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Hi Nomad.

I live relatively close (3 1/2 hours away) to Lake Tahoe and have been there many times. It's a gorgeous area with plenty to do and see. Unfortunately your temperature desires may not be able to be met in July & August when the temps MAY be high......but may not be as well.

Here is a bit of info for you about it. How to Plan the Perfect Summer Lake Tahoe Adventure

Seattle Washington remains cooler in the summer months....here's a bit of info- Seattle’s Summer To-Do List

And, of course, if you haven't been to San Francisco in the summer, you're in for a nice chilly winter! SF may meet your weather requirements and it has lots of great restaurants and everything else you stated that you enjoy.....Here's some info: The best things to do in San Francisco for locals and tourists

The Pacific Northwest along the ocean is usually pretty chilly in the summer.....there's a lot of natural beauty in the Redwoods, hiking in the parks, the beautiful Pacific ocean......all the way up to Canada.

Let us know where you decide to travel......sounds like fun!

ksm

We spent a summer in Montana about 10 years ago. It did get warm in the afternoon. 80's? But the evenings were cool, and some nights down right cold! Yellowstone was pleasant too. Frost on the windshield in the mornings... And it was early August.

Ksm

AppleCori

I have been in Yellowstone in the summer, and it is wonderful. Usually. One year we went and it was the one week that was in the 90s. The week before, it had been pants and sweater weather.

Most of the time, though, it is wonderful. Of course, we like outdoorsy vacations.

Not the best place for museums and such.

I would like to go to Seattle sometime, though.

Lil

Seattle and the pacific northwest would get my votes. Seattle because of the city and the ocean, since you aren't outdoorsy. It's been 25+ years since I've been, but it was a lovely vacation when I went.