learning to simplify

Jena

so, we were sitting here today and saying how can we lower our stress, simplify a bit, etc.

it began with our xmas tree lol. each year we stand outside with all the kids in either the cold or snow or rain, bring it home are cleaning up pine needles for about an hr. etc.

so we went to kmart and bought a really nice fake tree, pre lit super easy no big deal. so much easier. sitting down now taking time for me to try and figure out what else i can do to make things simpler for us.

any ideas? what do you guys do to minimize, simplify and make your worlds a little more stress free?

my next thing i think is having our food delivered each week from supermarket as opposed to running loading etc. inbetween tutors, doctor's

shellyd67

I am usually very organized and always have a plan of action. This time of year however I do tend to get stressed out. I have always been a YES person and it overwhelms me sometimes so this time of year I tend to say NO alot more and that helps. We always pull together and manage to get everything done a week or two before Christmas so we can enjoy all the movies, parties and family time. :gingerbread:

H

HaoZi

We got a prelit tree, too. Only decorations on it are the star and garland. Nice and simple. And rather pretty.

Jena

that's good. we just figured out home delivery on weekly groceries i will do this weekend also. that cuts down alot of stress. we're sitting with-a list on how to make all of this more managable. only go around once gotta make it count. dont' think i'm coming back as a bird or anything lol. maybe a horse that would be cool

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Artificial tree, paper plates, paper cups, grocery delivery - all good!!

Instead of going hog wild with indoor or outdoor decorations, simplify by hanging a lit wreath on your door and that's it (you can even place a spot outside it you want - simple & inexpensive). String lights around the perimeter of your family room for a festive look, cut greens from your yard and gently lay them on mantles, etc., for the added touch. Hang your holiday cards on the back of your door or around a fireplace, etc. All those are decorations that don't break the bank and are simple and easy to clean up or put away come January 2nd.

Before you order your groceries, create an easy to follow weekly menu that EVERYONE can help prepare and then make your grocery list *using items you already have on hand first*. That is a biggie!

While on the subject of food - take one day a week and pre-prepare most of your meals for the week. Or, make double the amount and freeze half for another night when pressed for time. Buy those canned crescent rolls or pillsbury french breads - those are easy to bake and complete a meal nicely. I always have bagged frozen veggies and boxed vegetable/chicken stock on hand to throw soups and stews together - easy fast meals. Also, I keep those rolled pie crusts on hand to throw an easy tasty nutritious quiche or pot pie together. Roast a whole chicken and then after dinner, pick the carcus clean, freeze that leftover meat for pot pie, sauces, lunches, whatever.

I know people who do laundry everyday and it causes them so much stress. I only do laundry on weekends, preferably all in one day, either Sat/Sun. Everyone folds and puts away their own stuff. In fact, I only do H and my stuff and the household towels; easy child and difficult child *when she's around* do their own laundry - again, only on weekends.

Having a tablecloth on my kitchen table helps me a lot. ??What?? Yeah, no constantly wiping it down. Put a cloth on it and every other day I put a new one on and toss the old on into the laundry. Clean table that looks pretty all the time, what could be easier?

Clean out your cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom, as well as the bedrooms and halls. Get rid of the clutter or box up stuff you don't use all the time. Reorganize and stock your bathroom closet or vanity with essentials; same for kitchen, etc. It's easier to find things without other junk getting in your way and then you always know what you have and what you need at a glance.

Simplifying takes a little time and planning up front, but once you get that out of the way...life is simpler. Check out the flylady.com. She's got great tips. I personally found her daily schedule to be too much for me, but some people incorporate a lot of her ideas into their weekly regimen and it works for them.

Jena

lol jo that's funny pre make my meals?? :) your planning sounds great we could use you here!!!

i dont' have the time to do that now. i'm on such a tight schedule it's kinda insane. i ordered the food last nite for the first time. was alot cheaper than going into the store i think because there was no impulse buying either was able to sit on my bed and focus on what do we really need kinda thing.

their delivering it tonight too which is great.

KTMom91

I'm working on the sorting and cleaning thing right now, bagging the "good stuff" for Freecycle. We've had an artificial tree for 15 years, ever since I bought the house, because there's simply no room for a real one. We stopped hanging lights, though I INSIST that my giant inflatable polar bear and penguins go on the roof every year.

Having ten million (OK, it's a slight exaggeration) books and bookcases packed full, with overflow trickling onto the floor is my major downfall. Hello, my name is Mary, and I'm a book addict. And what did I ask Miss KT to get me for Christmas?

Mom2oddson

I make meals ahead of time. I have 3 crockpots and on Sat or Sun, I load them up and just have to reheat and make a salad for dinner during the week. It's how I survived when all 3 kids were in the house all going in different directions. And with the crockpots, I don't have to worry about them while I'm doing other things in the house.

There is a website that I used for a while. It's savingdinner.com by Leanne Ely. She is a nutritionist who gives you the weeks menu and grocery list. There are different menus available depending on your eating style - low carb, healthy, cheap. It's been a while since I did them, but they really helped when I didn't have time to figure out a menu. And the food was really good. It made life easy to open an e-mail that had my menus and grocery list all ready for me. Saved me a lot of time.

Another way we are simplifing this year, because we are broke, is to keep our Christmas very simple this year. We aren't worring about having parties or buying gifts for everyone. We are just enjoying each day as it happens. I bought the few supplies I needed to make cookies and candies for gifts. And then went through my yarn supplies and am making a few things that I have enough yarn on hand to make. And - now the hard part - I'm trying not to feel guilty about my choice not to spend a lot of money.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've been ordering groceries in for 3 years now Jena. While the cost may be a bit higher than in the stores I save tons of $$$ because like you mentioned I don't buy on impulse. I, too, plan meals a week at a time & have a couple of crock pots going during the weekend, especially as this is soup & stew season.

I take one room a day to clean ~ at the end of the day I hit the strategic "junk zones". I clean off the coffee table, wipe off counters & make sure the dishwasher is run. While I'm doing hair & makeup in the morning I pour cleaner in the toilet; I quick swipe off the seats & with the brush & that's done. I then wipe down the sink & mirrors. 10 minutes at most.

As I'm cooking I have a sink filled with soapy water so I can clean up as I'm creating.

My biggest downfall is keeping up with dusting/vacuuming. I need to get my darlin daughter aka difficult child kt off her little behind & start on this chore.

I said a very long time ago that I had to pick my battles wisely. I also knew that I couldn't live in a home that was chaotic (full of toys, papers, etc that weren't cared for). I joined FlyLady.net & started following her steps. I still do the sink thing at least once a week

Jena, you're making positive steps toward simplification.
This is so important when you are handling so many family & difficult child things plus trying to balance a career & the like. It's uplifting to me to have an organized, clean home. I can handle so much more when my house is in order. Good job, Jena. Please keep us updated on the simplification plan.

Jena

the plan is some really cool guy came here tonight and unloaded groceries and even offered to walk them into our kitchen! i was like no way seriously?? :) i tipped him it was great. what normally takes me at least 2 hours of unloading loading, and stress with-difficult child took 15 minutes. i find it cheaper actually because its' cheaper on line thru stop and shop than in store it's way too expensive.

i wanna give up cleaning that would really keep it simple! Ha! just joking!!! now i'll sell off all the kids, husband and i'll have it made :)