Loxapine anyone?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It looks like, after years on Haldol, I have developed a movement disorder, or at least I can't sit still.

First step is to cut the dosage and increase the Cogentin. I am to give that a try, and if it doesn't help after ten days, I am to call back and my psychiatrist will put me on loxapine and remove the Haldol.

I NEED an AP and have failed trials on all the atypical APs I have tried..hence, using the older APs.

I hear voices without AP coverage and have had visual hallucinations on occasions. Nothing that I don't immediately catalog as part of my MI, and nothing really scary, just really annoying.

I seem to recall that couple of folks had children on Loxapine and was wondering if they'd be kind enough to provide feedback.

I just got my bloodwork results and all my other medications are at therapeutic levels at the doses I'm on, so that's good. At least if I have to get back on the medication merry go round, it's only with one medication. (This nasty little voice is saying..."so far...")

Please send out a few vibes that the decrease in Haldol gets rid of the twitchy/jerkiness and that if I have to go on Loxapine, that it does the job without the side effects.

Wiped Out

Staff member
My difficult child has been on Loxapine for years. It has always helped but not enough. on the other hand, Clozapine (which is an older AP and rarely used anymore due to potential white blood cell problems-requires weekly blood draws for over a year and then monthly ones) has worked wonders for my difficult child. He is on both but, for him, the Clozapine has been the best!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Clazapine was the other medication he mentioned, but he also mentioned the blood draws and such and said that for him, that's a last ditch medication due to side effects.

I'm hoping the Haldol reduction does the trick as it's been a good medication for me for several years.

I appreciate the response, by the way. Is loxapine very sedating for your son? I'm trying to avoid more sedation than I'm currently getting from the Haldol.

I live alone and have to be able to function during the day. I like sleeping, but not to excess. :)

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child takes his Loxapine at night with his Clozapine so it is hard to tell how sedating it is. However, he used to function quite well with it when he took it throughout the day.

Clozapine was a last medication of choice for our psychiatrist too. However, we got there because he had been hospitalized 3 times in 3 months for two weeks each time and they were close to recommending out of home placement.