menopause / hot flashes

K

Kjs

anyone have any suggestions. These hot flashes are so unbearable. so hot sweat just rolling off me. then I am freezing because I am wet..then I am sweating. Bad at work. Sweater on/sweater off heater on, heater off. Driving me nuts.

F

flutterbee

I went through that 7 years ago when I was in drug-induced menopause (the drug Lupron was used). It was supposed to be for 6 months, but after 3 months I told the doctor that I wanted to kill someone and I wasn't picky about who. Doctors tend to act kinda funny when you say something like that. :hammer: I wasn't allowed to do HRT because that would defeat the purpose. So, I completely understand where you are coming from. No wonder difficult child is sending you through the roof. Other than keeping my hair pulled off my neck and carrying a hand fan with me at all times, I don't have much to offer. I was known to open all the windows in mid-December.

My mother used some soy-based product by Monastat for awhile until she learned that it carried the same risks as all other hormone replacement therapies. She did get quite a bit of relief from the hot-flashes, though, while she was taking it. Said they were more like warm-flashes. She thought it would be safer since it was natural, but then learned that the same risks applied and stopped.

What does your doctor say?

K

Kjs

Dr.'s (boy OB/GYN and MD) just totally blow me off. Tried HRT for a while since i had a total hysterectomy...That didn't seem to matter, so quit. Tried a lotion prescribed by OBGYN, for hot flashes..didn't help. Just wondering if anyone had any herbal suggestion or any magic cure for this.

kris

i went through surgical menopause. took HRT for a couple of months then slowly weaned myself off the HRT. it seemed to greatly lessen the menopausal symptoms. maybe your GYN would let you do something like that.

kris

K

Kjs

I tried HRT a few months. Didn't seem to do anything, so discontinued. I think the when I was on Paxil it greatly reduced the hot flashes, but I was on that for a few years and the dosage was high and so was the weight gain. Needed to get off hoping to lose some weight and be a little more energetic. I think I turned into a difficult child. told psychiatrist that Friday. That is when he put me on strattera. Definately have appetite loss. Now need energy, motivation and sanity.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Kjs,
Wish I had some suggestions. I went through a very early menopause due to Primary Ovarian Failure when I was 20. The hot flashes were unbearable-plus I thought I was going crazy because I was so young. The only thing that has worked for me is HRT. I've had to be on it a long time and my dr wants me on it til I turn 50 so I have about 7 years left. I hope you can find some relief.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I have the same problem...intense internal heat(tried to explain it to husband, but it's hard to describe), so I throw the covers off and all my clothes only to wake up an hour later absolutely freezing.

Mine seem to go in cycles. I'll have a bout for about a week, then a few weeks off, then it starts again.

Abbey

rejectedmom

I went into that mode after a hysterectomy. i kept my overies but the began malfunctioning immediately after surgery. It lasted for 8 years! I tried herbals.. no ease. I tried the progesterone cream... no help. I tried soy...I just gained weight. I gave up. It does come and go in cycles and they are gradually getting further and further apart. Not too bad anymore. I am told by my older friends that when they are gone for good I will be cold all the time and wishing thatI was still getting the flashes. LOL I doubt it but who knows??? -RM

DazedandConfused

I don't have any advice to offer.

However....I would like to share something I heard recently on a trip to NYC. Our group had a really sweet and funny tour guide.

Suddenly, she started fanning herself and tugging at her collar, obviously having a hot flash, while pointing out the sites to us. She then she begged our pardon as she explained that,

"I'm having my own personal summer". :rofl:

TerryJ2

Yes, caffeine, wine and spices make it worse. If I go out for Mexican, I'm doomed!

I use Maca and flax seed oil. I tried black cohosh and dong quai and they didn't work well. I had to swallow lots and lots and had to take so much to make it work, I ended up with-a stomach ache... and which is worse? I used to use Estroven until I had breast cancer, but now I have to cut back on soy.

There's a neat place online where you can order ice cold "neckbandoos"--fabric you can tie around your neck like a scarf--you soak them in water and they get cold and puff up. When you wear them (in a choice of fabrics) no one will know what it's really for. Ea time you walk by a drinking fountain, you untie it and soak it again.
I would never have made it through DisneyWorld with-o one!

http://blubandoo.com/

saving grace

I have premature ovarian failure so I started having hot flashes around 35, it was awful, I tried flax seed, ehhh I tried Estrovan ehhhh I tried zoloft, that helped some now I also tried a low dose birth control and that was a disaster, I think I have just learned to live with them, I sleep in my undies with the windows open all year long

Grace

Josie

I had a total hysterectomy when I was on Lexapro and didn't have hot flashes, even without HRT. The doctor was very surprised but thought it must be the Lexapro. Now I am on an estrogen patch and don't have them.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm another who went through surgical menopause from a hysterectomy. I also had those terrible, terrible hot flashes- as many as 10 a day, and night sweats every 45 minutes all night long. The estrogen pills didn't work- I tried all dosages, but the lowest dose patch does the trick!

Suz

jbrain

Hi,
I've been on HRT for about 6 yrs--the hot flashes all night long and during the day too were driving me crazy, plus I had migraine headaches from fluctuating estrogen. I know all the risks and all that and my dr. says I can't stay on them indefinitely but they've really helped.

Menopause is the pits....

Jane