My AA sons bigoted bus driver. Feedback.

BusynMember

Hi and thanks for the updates. I already checked and what she said doesn't rise to the level of "racial harassment." I do think she is just an ignorant person, but her words shocked me. Here in Wisconsin and in Illinois nobody had ever said that to me. They either didn't feel that way or knew better than to say that to the mother of a multi-racial family who obviously doesn't share those outdated, bigoted views. I'm not sure what to do, but I know that if I didn't have the job I'd be in full mother bear mode and would probably want her off the bus that my son rides. However, I see her at work and she has concern for the safety of all the kids. She just needs to keep her trap shut and if she opens it again, I'm going to tell her that I have no choice but to tell the boss that she has expressed views that would sound bigoted to most people and that I do not feel the company would like her to say those things. Then I'm going to do it. She had no understanding that she had said anything wrong at all. She is not a very bright person and is obviously living in another time. In our small town, the Homecoming King was the bi-racial son of another boy who rides her route, and I told her that. I also let her know that his date was a blond. She turned red. The lady has serious issues though. She has told me things about her life which make me realize that the lights may be on, but nobody is home, at least in the department of common sense.

witzend

I did some work with the union and had training in harassment issues. The reason this is not legally harassment is because no one has threatened your job and she has not authority over you. It becomes harassment when you tell an authority figure and they punish you for it.

The solution is to ask your boss for a transfer, and explain why. The rest will take care of itself.

BusynMember

Well...she IS sort of my boss and I can't tell you how uncomfortable I feel around her now. She's not technically my boss, but I'm under her, and have to ask "how high" when she says "jump." She's just that sort of person. She didn't threaten my job. She does seem to care about the safety of all of the children. But I cringe to think of her talking to my son when he's on her bus. Her one comment to him about his adoption set my teeth on edge. She doesn't need to put her two cents in when the kids are talking to each other. Supposedly my son said something about sometimes being sad about being adopted. That doesn't sound like him, unless somebody else prompted him with a question, however, for argument's sake, let's pretend he said it. She told him, without his ever bringing up race, "You should be happy, Lucas. It doesn't matter that your parents are white and you're black." This lady is really focused in on color. She brings it up way too often.

BusynMember

Oh, and I also think she IS ignorant. Totally. She also told me that her daughter is a big racist and so is her mother. But, of course, she isn't :wink:

witzend

In the legal definition of harassment, she's not your boss unless she sets your schedule/oute or can fire you.

Have you spoken to your boss about this yet?

BusynMember

Boss was off Friday.
This lady can't fire me, but she can tell the boss I'm not doing a good job (and I know she's saying that) which can lead to my being fired. If I do get fired, she better look out. Then all restraints are off and the bus company will get the full Mama Bear treatment...and it ain't pretty when it comes from me :wink:

susiestar

Roll With It
If you talk to the boss and they do not stop her, in some states it is called a "hostile work environment". This is what many government offices use. husband had to learn a whole lot about this when he worked in the Public information Center for a Govt Superfund Site.

Calling it harassment means it has to threaten your job. Calling it a hostile work environment means it makes you very uncomfortable regarding comments/actions on your gender, race, religion, etc...

I think I am saying this right. Having a tough night, but I think it says what I mean.

Hugs,

Susie

BusynMember

Thanks that you took time out of your hard night to post back to me. I'm so sorry the night isn't going well. I will take your advice into consideration--it makes so much sense.
I love all of you. I hope I help you like you help me. You are all the most wonderful people. I'm truly touched.

MWM,

My heart :sad: breaks for you! This subject is near and dear to my heart. We are a rainbow family and I have been shocked at how ignorant people still are after all these years!

There isn't much else I can say that the others already haven't said. Just know that you have one more rainbow family mama on your side!!!

Hugs,
Vicie

Marguerite

A few things here - if you only make a fuss about her racist remarks AFTER you lose your job, you have no way to be able to prove you lost your job because of her feeling she had to 'get in first'. As you said, the job is physically challenging for you, there are probably legitimate reasons they could point to, to justify sacking you. Not that I'm saying you do a lousy job - I'm not there. But if there is ANY way you're not doing your job brilliantly, they can always find a reason to point to.

And she seriously may not consider herself a racist. Maybe she is very open-minded and welcoming, compared to her mother and daughter. Some people really have no clue - I know I've said racist things or cruel things, thinking i was being kind and generous. It needs the ability to step outside your own viewpoint and see that the other viewpoints are so far removed from your own. And sometimes, for some people, this is too great a leap. In her mind, being racist probably means thinking or saying that black people are inferior to white and should never be given jobs in a position of authority, or do not deserve the same opportunities as whites. This bus driver may well disagree with that, but still be saying things like, "Black people CAN do as well as whites but they have to work harder at it, life is going to automatically be much tougher for them." And the trouble with this viewpoint - it is at least partially right, because it is this attitude (along with the more extreme attitudes) that make this problem of struggle self-perpetuate.

Attitudes are changing but they don't swing full circle in less than a generation. It takes a number of generations to overcome the damages of the past.

I never considered my parents to be racist. They financially supported Aboriginal missions. I went to school with a lot of Mission kids. But we know NOW, that in supporting those missions both morally and financially, we were doing a grave disservice to Aboriginal people.
Later governments dealt with the major, ongoing problems in Aboriginal communities by blindly throwing money at them. This only encouraged exploitation by a few individuals, who took the money, promised to help the communities use the money wisely, and then frittered it away.
And our governments are still getting it wrong, still coming up with policies which are racist. Our legal system and policing is badly biased against those of Aboriginal descent. It's no longer based in law, but the practice and beliefs do not evaporate overnight.

Other issues are similar - I worked in an all-male environment and made it a point to do at least as much as the men, if not more. I knew I had to constantly work against the belief that because I was female, I could exploit my working environment and have an easier workload. So I toted that barge and lifted that bale with the best of them. I donned overalls with the men and got absolutely filthy in some of the nastier jobs. And I had a boss who let me do this because he wanted people to see he did not discriminate. I was held to the same work standards as the men, expected to do the same work for the same pay. And he was triumphant about this - he said one day, "We don't have any sexual discrimination around here, do we darlin'?" as he patted me on the behind. And he was not joking - he really believed he was a fair man in this. His swat on the behind was not a pass in any way, but he certainly wouldn't have done it to any of my male colleagues. I will not repeat what he said when I told them I was going to a lunchtime meeting on equal opportunities for women in the workplace - the site censor would block it. It was almost enough to stop me from going, it was a very colourful description of the sort of women who went to such meetings.

My boss was a much older man who genuinely believed he was not sexist. And maybe, compared to his own father, he wasn't.

I found, in my time at that place, that if I reacted to sexism with hostility, shock or disgust, this was met with, "Oh no, here we go again - I wish these women would stop being so reactive." All I was doing, when I got annoyed, was reinforcing their stereotype. Plus, it was making it harder for me to do my job, because the men were constantly either angry at me, or trying to get a rise out of me by being sexist. Other women in the workplace (all office staff - I wasn't) who reacted in the same way mostly left in tears after a few weeks, or were totally insulated by never having to deal with the men I worked with. So I learned to react with humour. It worked. I was still reacting, still making my point. Next time my boss patted me on the rear (always in front of my colleagues) I turned, smiling, and patted him kindly on the head, as I would to a balding grandfather. When the men put up yet another poster of naked women, I put up a poster of naked men - but a slightly humorous one, which had been totally figleafed and air-brushed. They learnt to not push my buttons because I would up the ante beyond where they dared go.

With racism - I'm not sure how you could handle it with humour, except maybe to tell anti-racist jokes. We have an Aboriginal TV presenter and sometime comedian who tells some beauties - Q: "Why don't Aboriginals get taken by sharks?" A: "Because they each wear around their necks a medallion which says, 'Australian government gives land rights to Aborigines' and not even a white pointer will swallow that one!"

MWM, I did a Google search for some anti-racist jokes you could use - if this bus driver says she's not racist, then she can't object to you telling her anti-racist jokes, can she? If you deal with this by using humour, you also leave the door open for friendly communication and an opportunity to re-educate her.

I knew I had won, in my all-male workplace, when a directive at long last came round that all poster material which offended other co-workers (or could be deemed to offend) had to be taken down. My colleagues removed their posters and came to me, caps figuratively in hand and tongues firmly in cheek. "Please, we have taken down our offensive material. You have a poster up which we find offensive. Please will you remove it?"
To which I replied, "Certainly, I relish the opportunity."
Gone forever were the days of the workshop wall being papered with Penthouse centrefolds.

Humour, right to the end. It works as a social lubricant and educational resource, when all else seems impossible.

Marg