My cat Stella has hyperthyroidism and we can't get help.

Lil

She is not home, lil. She is in quarantine for 3 days at the facility. That is mandatory state law.

Oh I misunderstood! How long are you supposed to keep away from too much cuddle-time? I'm sure the highest risk is over after the three days.

Copabanana

Two weeks.

This is ridiculous. The half life of radioiodine is 8 days. I do not see reason for this level of precaution beyond the 8 days which would be next Wednesday for us.

Who knows what we will do? But I will lay out my research to m, as he requested. And we will do what we do.

Copabanana

Swot. What would you do?

A flight to Europe is 8 milli rems.

She will emit .5 per hour 1' away. The first day home. She will want to cuddle with him for a half hour max. (In his armpit.) She will return thru the night to lick our faces. Maybe 20 min. Each.

I feel like a nutcase.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My mother had her thyroid removed and did radioactive iodine thing to kill off any remaining cells.

IIRC, she was hospitalized for 3-5 days, with medical personnel using full precautions, and not allowed to go home until her "emissions" were within safe limits.

Copabanana

Hi gn.

Stella is in quarantine 3 days at the facility.

Would you let your cats in the bed when they come home? She does not stay with us continuously.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Copa, in all seriousness, I would both hear the doctors and do my own research. You are extremely smart, way more than me, and you can probably figure out the safety issue. They might be being overly cautious because if you did get sick they would not want to get sued.

If I had to be distant from my beloved pet I wiuld bring treats and interact the best I could.

But I know how you feel .Jacksin is having surgery on Aug. 16 and will have to stay in tje hospital 3 or 4 days. Its in Madison which is not close to us but it is the best vet hospital practically in the state so he goes there . But we have three other pets and both of us cant stay in Madison. One of us has to care for the otjer pets. Since I am directionally challenged and would never get to Madison I will not see him for a while. It will break my heart. I cant even be there during the surgery.

Its tough for pet loving moms when our babies are sick.

Lil

Well, two weeks does sound like a long time. :( I had a friend who had radiation for thyroid cancer and I don't think she had to stay away from her bed with her husband that long, though I do know there was several days - a week maybe? I can't really remember. She was told she couldn't ride on a bus or plane for several days - when her husband drove her home, she had to sit in the back seat as far from him as she could get. It was all rather weird. But they didn't keep her for more than one night tops.

BusynMember

Copa hub will have to. I know it will be hard on him to be in the surgical waiting area alone. But we have to care for the other pets.

Thanks for the nice compliment !